Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Kaspick puts home a rebound off of Vincent's shot. But, Canucks get it right back as the Cuda leave a guy unmarked on the far side. 2-2.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Shorthanded goal for Anthony Vincent! There is a lot going on in this first period. Anthony Vincent has been pretty good since returning from injury. An abrasive energy guy mostly, but he's been contributing offense lately.

It's 3-2 Cuda after the first. Felt like they had the better period, and the SOG back that up, 17-9 San Jose.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Canucks score on the power play to tie it, and Guryev now throws a high elbow that he probably could've gotten a major for if the result was worse.

Guryev is a pretty good physical defenseman, but he's just kinda stupid.

--

End of the second. 3-3.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Canucks of course score on a scramble with a bad bounce, making it 4-3 Abbotsford. Nine minutes to go.

----

Barracuda tie it up on a scramble up front! Frisch lobs it at the net, I think Studnicka gets the rebound in.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Barracuda about to face their season-long nemesis: Overtime.

No winner in the OT period. Shootout..

Sharks draft pick Linus Karlsson scores the only shootout goal and the Cuda can now add a shootout loss to the many other ways they've lost this season. Podkolzin's stick actually broke on his attempt, I've never seen that before. Canucks win.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Sabourin goes after Matt Irwin post whistle thirty seconds in, for some reason, and takes a roughing penalty. Canucks score on the PP when the PK leaves a guy completely unaccounted for in front of the net.

Canucks add another on a deflection 4 on 4. Great start today. 2-0 Abbotsford, first TV timeout.

• Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Canucks add another that I think deflected off Pulli. Cuda suddenly can’t execute a breakout whatsoever so this isn’t looking good. 4-2 Nucks with 5:24 left.

• Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Not a ton to say, once Abbotsford scored that SHG to make it 3-2 our performance took a nosedive. 5-2 is the final after they added an empty netter. Third period was just not good hockey. Haiskanen also exited with about five minutes left with a possible injury, he got hit in the face and went straight to the back.

Feels like sour grapes, but I was very annoyed by the blatant interference on the go-ahead SHG, and it looks even worse now that I'm watching it on the above replay (@0:53). How was that missed?

RIP to Ethan Frisch's +/-.

Cuda are @ Ontario Tuesday. They have 21 games remaining and are 11 points out of a playoff spot, so yeah.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Been a ticketholder of this team for all nine seasons they've been in San Jose, and there hasn't been a season as demoralizing as this one. Even that one year when we lost fifteen in a row to end the season (21-22), at least in that one it was because we had the worst roster I've ever seen, specifically in terms of defense/goaltending.

The defense on this team shouldn't have been this bad, and it's just genuinely frustrating to watch this team try to move the puck sometimes. Both in the offensive and defensive zones. System needs to be a lot stronger in terms of player positioning. There's good individual skill on this team, but they don't play as a unit as well as they could.

We're playing some of our best hockey of the year of late, but still losing games, and would need a significant win streak to get back in the playoff conversation. We haven't had a win streak longer than two all season, so you can guess how much optimism I have there.

Normally you'd like to use this time to check out some prospects you're hoping develop, but Gushchin, Mukhamadullin, Laroque and Robins are out. Guess it's a good time to get an extended view of some dark horse guys I like. Feels like a lost season for Robins, which sucks, as he was someone I was looking forward to see progress this year.

You can start to see the frustration mounting on this team, too. I'd like to see good performances down the stretch but with March having a lot of road games and challenging opponents, I'm more concerned the wheels are about to come completely off now.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Barracuda are @ Ontario tonight, facing the Reign. We have yet to beat Ontario this season, in five attempts so far. We actually struggle to score against these guys, for the most part.

Nollenberger really pushing our chase of the Silver Knights for the #8 spot in the division, which, again, is not a playoff spot. Kinda wish someone would ask him about this.

Knyzhov is back in the lineup, and sitting is Simek. McCarthy has been rotating which veteran sits each game, it's Simek's turn (edit: Looks like Simek's banged up. He's not on this two-game road trip. Great.). Also looks like Wiesblatt in for Coe.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
SJ's had the pressure on early, but Studnicka gloves down a puck and just hands it off to a Reign player in front of the net, which sets up an Ontario goal. 1-0. It's stuff like this.

--

Ontario adds a power play goal by shooting one in off Pinelli's skate to make it 2-0 early. Cardwell then high sticks someone right off the next faceoff, this is amazing stuff.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Fagemo scores at the end of the period to make it 3-0, I was hoping someone had a clip of the full sequence, because this followed a Cuda 3 on 1 in which Studnicka brought it up the right wing, decided to keep it himself, basically just skated it all the way in tight, and the Reign goalie didn't bite in the least and stopped it with the legpad.

Studnicka then recovered it and shot it wide, leading to this:

I mean, that's Fagemo, unassisted. Not super thrilled with Studnicka tonight.

3-0 is also a mountain against this Reign team, and that's what we trail by at the end of one. Shots: 8-7 Cuda.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Cuda barreled over the “you can’t make this shit up” line a month ago and have only declined from there. Yeesh.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Wiesblatt takes a really unnecessary interference call. He slowed up on what would've been an icing to block off Tynan. It's something you don't see get called a lot, but on replay, yeah he absolutely interfered with him. Just a really weird decision. Would've been an icing if he'd just kept skating forward.

Anyway, yes, Ontario does of course score on the ensuing power play.

---

Studnicka then takes a high sticking penalty, and Hudon scores on the power play. So, we do well to get back into the game, and then piss it away as hard as we possibly can. 6-2 Ontario, end of the second. Game might get a little ugly in the third, honestly, with the frustration coming from the Cuda right now. I'm getting angry just watching this.

This isn't a penalty-heavy affair or anything. Reign are 3 for 4 on the power play, so if we go to the box, they make us pay. So maybe stop going to the box.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Empty netter by the Reign, as the Barracuda began pulling Chrona with 13 minutes to go in the period. 7-2. 11 minutes still to go in this thing.

• Wow

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Empty netter by the Reign, as the Barracuda began pulling Chrona with 13 minutes to go in the period. 7-2. 11 minutes still to go in this thing.
What????

Everyone’s calls for a coaching change should just be fulfilled DURING the game for that alone… I mean, if you are a player and your coach is so desperate to do that? I am speechless, what a clown.

Reactions: Gecklund

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
What????

Everyone’s calls for a coaching change should just be fulfilled DURING the game for that alone… I mean, if you are a player and your coach is so desperate to to that? I am speechless

At first, in fairness, he pulled Chrona when we went on the power play to make it a 6 on 4. But then he did it again during a 4 on 4, so I don't even know. I guess it's something to do.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Fagemo completes the hat trick to make it 8-2. I guessed the Cuda might come out frustrated for the third period, but really they just look demoralized.

11 goals in 6 games against the Cuda for Fagemo.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad