Barker vs Colaiacovo

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
Since it may be unfair to compare Barker to J-Bo, Pitkanen....etc I thought I'd ask how he compares to someone who's only play a handful of games in the NHL and is still basically a rookie.

Size wise they're close. I think they play the same type of game and both will/should into top 3 d-men who can quaterback the PP...I hope :D

I own the rights to both players so I guess I'm really just interested in what others think about their potential.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think Barker has more upside at this point but in a year or two I doubt here will be a difference between the two. I don't see Barker becoming a top-2 guy but then again, I'm not an NHL scout and have only seen him a couple times on TV. I really like Coco, he can really skate and rush the puck. He is gonna be a good defenseman.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Defenatly take this with a grain of salt but i see Barker as a bust in the future. I just have one of those feelings, not really based on anything. But having seen him a couple of time jsut on TV i dont really like him as a lottery pick. If i was gm i wouldnt touch him. But this is just my opinion. Ill take Colo

db23

Fleuryfan29 said:
I'd say Carlo Cocomocivacilio (sp?)

Wha???

Colaiacovo was 6-1, 185 pounds when he was drafted. Barker is 6-3, 215 and he will be a few months younger on draft day. Barker has scored about 120 CHL points prior to the draft, I think Colaicovo had about 60.

Colaicocovo doesn't look like he was even a very good pick at #17 overall. Lots of guys drafted behind him beat him to the NHL. Barker will be taken in the first 5 picks. There are half a dozen defencemen in this year's draft who will be better than Coliacovo, not just Barker.

Last edited by a moderator:

db23

Mike Green is a better comparison to Colaicovo. Except Green is bigger and put up better point totals on a poorer team, as a junior.

leafaholix*

db23 said:
Colaicocovo doesn't look like he was even a very good pick at #17 overall. Lots of guys drafted behind him beat him to the NHL. Barker will be taken in the first 5 picks.
Carlo Colaiacovo was a steal at #17.

If he reaches his potential, he'll be a top pairing defenseman. Cam Barker has top pairing potential as well... except that he'll be taken in the top 5 picks.

There are half a dozen defencemen in this year's draft who will be better than Coliacovo, not just Barker.
So... half a dozen you say?

Well, if you can find atleast 6 other defensemen in this years draft with top pairing potential... I will eat my hat. Colaiacovo's AHL coach said (this past February) that Colaiacovo has the potential to be a top 10 NHL defenseman.

Aside from Cam Barker, there isn't another defenseman that's obviously better than Colaiacovo. There are a couple guys that are top 10 projected picks (Smid, Thelen, Fransson)... but I don't see any of those three being obvious favourites over Carlo.

The new smell will wear off... we tend to overhype newly drafted players, that is until they face really good competition and then begin to fade.

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
db23 said:
Lots of guys drafted behind him beat him to the NHL.

Does that mean he won't be a good or better player than those that made it before him? :dunno:

Players from the 1994 draft made it into the NHL before Milan Hejduk, now look at him. and that's only one example.

leafaholix*

TOR-TOWN said:
Does that mean he won't be a good or better player than those that made it before him? :dunno:

Players from the 1994 draft made it into the NHL before Milan Hejduk, now look at him. and that's only one example.
I chose not to comment on that point he made.

It's ridiculous to think that a player isn't as good as he actually is because he hasn't made it to the NHL at the age of 21. Especially a defenseman.

It's called development.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Since they're prospects, it's all about projections. IMO, Barker won't develop to his upside while Colaiacovo's upside could be reached. I like Colaiacovo a lot personally, but I hate Barker's game. So... My choice is Colaiacovo.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
ax²+bx+c said:
Since they're prospects, it's all about projections. IMO, Barker won't develop to his upside while Colaiacovo's upside could be reached. I like Colaiacovo a lot personally, but I hate Barker's game. So... My choice is Colaiacovo.
Can't really argue with that..

And since the original poster was asking about potential, amidst all this bickering, I for one believe that Barker's potential is a lot greater than that of Colaiacovo's.

leafaholix*

BlueAndWhite said:
Can't really argue with that..

And since the original poster was asking about potential, amidst all this bickering, I for one believe that Barker's potential is a lot greater than that of Colaiacovo's.
I agree.

Cam Barker's potential is much higher than Colaiacovo's... or most young defensemen.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Coliacovo will be a top-10 NHL defenceman. While his skating is his only real top-flite skill-set, the guys got that which you can't teach-hockey moxie.

Just had to get that in-in response to the nature of the thread-I'm not sure who has greater potential, I agree with the post that suggested something along the lines of that which is new seeming that much more appealing. Barker has yet to begin his pro-apprenticeship and Cola is well into his-and coming along very nicely. Both will be impact defencemen for their respective teams in the future.

leafaholix*

Raven25 said:
Coliacovo will be a top-10 NHL defenceman. While his skating is his only real top-flite skill-set, the guys got that which you can't teach-hockey moxie.

Just had to get that in-in response to the nature of the thread-I'm not sure who has greater potential, I agree with the post that suggested something along the lines of that which is new seeming that much more appealing. Barker has yet to begin his pro-apprenticeship and Cola is well into his-and coming along very nicely. Both will be impact defencemen for their respective teams in the future.
I think it's safe to say that Cam Barker has more offensive potential than most 18, 19, 20 year old defensemen.

He's very gifted... but he doesn't seem to be (from what I saw of him) as complete a defenseman as Colaiacovo.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Leafaholix said:
I think it's safe to say that Cam Barker has more offensive potential than most 18, 19, 20 year old defensemen.

He's very gifted... but he doesn't seem to be (from what I saw of him) as complete a defenseman as Colaiacovo.

Cam Barker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Colaiacovo
end of story

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
They are not yet NHL regulars. How can you come up with the absolute awnser? It's all about hype and, if you beleive in what happened in the past, about half of the prospect are what they're supposed to be, skill-wise. And that's not counting intensity, developpement, injuries, etc.

leafaholix*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Cam Barker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Colaiacovo
end of story
It's not the end of the story... it's the beginning.

They haven't even started their professional careers.

There's more to the story than 3 years of junior hockey and draft position.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Leafaholix said:
It's not the end of the story... it's the beginning.

They haven't even started their professional careers.

There's more to the story than 3 years of junior hockey and draft position.

must be a leaf fan if you think that colaiacovo is a comparable prospect to cam barker :lol :lol

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
must be a leaf fan if you think that colaiacovo is a comparable prospect to cam barker :lol :lol

Hes not that far off. Barker isn't all that fantastic of a prospect in my eyes. I worry about his dedication and his defensive zone coverage. Colaiacovo is a better hockey player right now and development isn't a guarantee.

I'd say Whitney and Barker play a similar game. Barkers offensive ceiling might be slightly higher, but obviously Whitney is much further along in his development.

Last edited:

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Hes not that far off. Barker isn't all that fantastic of a prospect in my eyes. I worry about his dedication and his defensive zone coverage. Colaiacovo is a better hockey player right now and development isn't a guarantee.

I'd say Whitney and Barker play a similar game. Barkers offensive ceiling might be slightly higher, but obviously Whitney is much further along in his development.

I've watched Barker for years, dating way back to peewee. Defensive zone coverage would certainly be his weakness (though that can be taught to an extent), but I wouldn't doubt his dedication. While he often comes off as slightly aloof and laid back, his dedication is top-notch. Theres no reason to suspect he won't do whatever possible to become a star in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad