Bargain Basement Players

Margaret Trudeau*

So since no matter how much cash Melnyk makes he doesn't seem to want to spend it on his hockey team, I was thinking if we could make a list of players that could be had for a steal.

Guys with bad reps, maybe girls, spengler cup stars, old or young players, etc.

I can think of:

Petr Ton
Roman Cervenka
Kevin Dallman
Jori Lehtera
Marty Turco
Rob Shrimp
Forsberg?
Wickenheiser

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Petr Ton - ?
Roman Cervenka - Cervenkates the cap
Kevin Dallman - Would rather bring back Toni
Jori Lehtera - Sounds like Jere Lehtinen. Murray: Get it done.
Marty Turco - LOL
Rob Shrimp - Karlsson is allergic to shellfish
Forsberg? - Forsberg!
Wickenheiser - Wasn't she injured during the Olympics?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I have one, Andre Benoit had a great year and from the area. Surely will command a bit more after a great season but perhaps with the Corvo money we will have next year we could look at him. If not we can maybe look to that guy that we let go and got Corvo to replace he was pretty good when he was hear from what i remember, never understood why they let him walk...:sarcasm:

Senafan

May 17, 2013
Now that Potvin isn't doing colour commentary anymore, maybe see if he'll sign a one year, all you can drink, deal. He could bring some great veteran experience to the defence.

WhiteLight*

Solid, undervalued players

Matthew Lombardi
Jussi Jokinen
David Desharnais
Blake Comeau
Michael Frolik
Gabriel Bourque
Rob Klinkhammer
Patric Hornqvist
Benoit Pouliot
Mathieu Perreault
Craig Smith
Dwight King
Eric Fehr
Patrik Berglund

Anton Stralman
David Schlemko
Jared Spurgeon
Tom Gilbert (possibly, might get a big raise this summer though)
Stephane Robidas (old and may regress anytime though)

That's bang for your buck

Yall can sign Hemsky for 4 x 5 though

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Petr Ton - ?
Roman Cervenka - Cervenkates the cap
Kevin Dallman - Would rather bring back Toni
Jori Lehtera - Sounds like Jere Lehtinen. Murray: Get it done.
Marty Turco - LOL
Rob Shrimp - Karlsson is allergic to shellfish
Forsberg? - Forsberg!
Wickenheiser - Wasn't she injured during the Olympics?

good ol schremp
145 points in 57 game in his final junior year

Margaret Trudeau*

also corey locke, small but give him a chance and save Melnyk money.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Now that Potvin isn't doing colour commentary anymore, maybe see if he'll sign a one year, all you can drink, deal. He could bring some great veteran experience to the defence.

#glueguy the lads will love him bring the room together and add to the leadership core! I like it!

Berserker*

How about giving our plethora of prospects a chance? I don't think you can get more "bang for your buck" then Stone at $603,333, Pageau at $613,333, Hoffman at $660,000, Lazar at $894,167, or Borowiecki at $575,000. That isn't even including a deep list of other prospects that could potentially fill depth roles in the near future.

Almost every player you listed is done at this point in their career. They don't really have any specialized skills that can't be replaced by one of our prospects.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
How about giving our plethora of prospects a chance? I don't think you can get more "bang for your buck" then Stone at $603,333, Pageau at $613,333, Hoffman at $660,000, Lazar at $894,167, or Borowiecki at $575,000. That isn't even including a deep list of other prospects that could potentially fill depth roles in the near future.

Almost every player you listed is done at this point in their career. They don't really have any specialized skills that can't be replaced by one of our prospects.

BINGO

No one on the original list is in any way a better option than what we have internally.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I know of a way to save this franchise 5 million dollars over the next two years.

Berserker*

I know of a way to save this franchise 5 million dollars over the next two years.

Go call Melnyk, maybe he will pay you a consulting fee lol. You could make yourself a quick $50,000 to $250,000

Berserker*

I would consider the possibility of bringing in a guy like Ole Kristian Tollefson. He played fairly well against Canada in the Olympics and he can fill a role as a physical presence.

Aside from that, I am not a big fan of bringing in older players from other leagues. The only types of players that I would have an exception for are enforcers. A given players skill and overall ability might be significantly impaired as they struggle to transition between leagues. An enforcer's fighting ability tends to transition very smoothly across leagues, so the risk is mitigated because you know that in the worst case scenario they will still be able to fight. An enforcer also tends to get paid league minimum and gets very limited minutes which mitigates the risk further. A more "skilled" player may require a higher compensation and they may also struggle to add any value when placed in a minor role. If they don't pan out, the risk is larger because you are stuck with a player who can't fill any type of role for the team.

The Fuhr*

How about not paying the 4th line and 7-8D a collective 10.7 next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad