Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Alexei Barabanov (1 year, $925k)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I like what I hear - energetic, persistent, relentless.

Definitely need more of those types with Brown and Moore going out.

Reactions: supermann_98

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Also, that Robertson kid might be ready to come soon too, so "free wallet" guys like this, and kids like Robertson are KEY for them, to manage their cap and hopefully have any success.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not bad, pretty productive player who is still young enough that if he plays well we would be able to get good production in future years.

Not sure where he plays as we have a lot of good middle 6 wingers in kapanen, johnsson, Hyman, mikheyev, engvall and now him. Wonder if dubas goes and makes a trade at the draft

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I thought they weren't allowed to sign until May 1 bc if their KHL contracts

So either this is just the Leafs saying, "yeah we've agreed to sign" but it's not official for another month, or the KHL ended their contracts early bc the season was canned

Reactions: Ziggdiezan and BHD

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good signing. He is skilled, really fast and what not, but biggest advantage is that he basically works as well in a smaller role as in a big role. Don’t have to play in a goto role to thrive.

Reactions: bukwas

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Hey great, another speedy and gutless bottom six skill guy who can move up and down the lineup just like Kerfoot, Engvall, Malgin, Johnsson, Petan, Bracco, and every prospect we've drafted over the last couple years or signed as a free agent. Can't have too many of those when you're trying to tread water on the playoff bubble, that's for sure!

Honestly, what's the point of a free wallet when you have a garbage bag full of them already sitting there? Lets start signing players who can improve the team and make a difference instead of adding more apathetic skill to the bottom six. Unless this clown can throw a punch, a body check, or a temper tantrum after a poor team effort we don't need him.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
meh I'm not that impressed, there's a bunch of other players in the KHL who I would rather have

Reactions: 1dreamof1cup

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hey great, another speedy and gutless bottom six skill guy who can move up and down the lineup just like Kerfoot, Engvall, Malgin, Johnsson, Petan, Bracco, and every prospect we've drafted over the last couple years or signed as a free agent. Can't have too many of those when you're trying to tread water on the playoff bubble, that's for sure!

Honestly, what's the point of a free wallet when you have a garbage bag full of them already sitting there? Lets start signing players who can improve the team and make a difference instead of adding more apathetic skill to the bottom six. Unless this clown can throw a punch, a body check, or a temper tantrum after a poor team effort we don't need him.

He's a guy who can play up and down the lineup making $925k on a roster that is likely right at the cap. They need moves like this in order to move money around and get other guys to fill in other roles. If you're comfortable with the player and you don't have to pay him much, it seems like a good signing.

I also don't think you can say that Bracco and Petan can play all that well throughout the lineup. They both thrive in offense-heavy roles and don't seem to bring as much to a 3rd or 4th line. So Barabanov is a cheaper option than Johnsson, Kerfoot, and Engvall who could potentially supplant one of these guys and make them expendable. Once again, makes sense and seems like a good signing.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

"What's the point of money when you already have money?!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
He's a guy who can play up and down the lineup making $925k on a roster that is likely right at the cap. They need moves like this in order to move money around and get other guys to fill in other roles. If you're comfortable with the player and you don't have to pay him much, it seems like a good signing.

I also don't think you can say that Bracco and Petan can play all that well throughout the lineup. They both thrive in offense-heavy roles and don't seem to bring as much to a 3rd or 4th line. So Barabanov is a cheaper option than Johnsson, Kerfoot, and Engvall who could potentially supplant one of these guys and make them expendable. Once again, makes sense and seems like a good signing.
Its only a good signing if he is better than what we already have and he isn't. Cap flexibility in this case is a myth. The Leafs only gain cap flexibility if this guy is better than a player already in the lineup who is making more than him, and who can be moved for an upgrade. Is he better than Kappy or Kerfoot? Is he better than Johnsson? Is he better than any other forward on the team currently making over 1 million a year? The answer to all of the above is no, so you aren't gaining cap flexibility at all.

I'll put this in terms everyone (even namikaze minato) can understand: You are driving around town with 4 perfectly good tires on your car when you see a donut sized spare tire at the side of the road for free. You throw it in the trunk with 5 other donut sized spare tires you already have. Sure, it doesn't hurt to have spare tire number 6 in the back if a disaster happens, but it isn't going to make the car run better. That's what we need to do here, we need to improve the Leafs not horde spare parts like toilet paper. As I said earlier, unless this guy can throw a punch, a body check or temper tantrum after a poor team effort he isn't a player we need.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I fully expect my fellow Leafs fans to start pencilling this guy onto the first line. In fact, I’ve already seen it on our boards. Some people never learn.

We’ve already got posters in this thread, who I guarantee have never seen this guy play, saying Barabanov can play up and down the lineup much better than everyone else we’ve got.

Me, I’m fine with the signing. I’m just sick of people acting like just because it’s our team, Mr. run-of-the-mill FA will be something special, or that adding a bottom-6 forward will change anything meaningfully.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Are you aware assets can be traded? Did you know not every player plays their whole career with the team they start with? I always enjoy posts with insane rants on transactions that in no way harm the team.

Good talk.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Its only a good signing if he is better than what we already have and he isn't. Cap flexibility in this case is a myth. The Leafs only gain cap flexibility if this guy is better than a player already in the lineup who is making more than him, and who can be moved for an upgrade. Is he better than Kappy or Kerfoot? Is he better than Johnsson? Is he better than any other forward on the team currently making over 1 million a year? The answer to all of the above is no, so you aren't gaining cap flexibility at all.

I'll put this in terms everyone (even namikaze minato) can understand: You are driving around town with 4 perfectly good tires on your car when you see a donut sized spare tire at the side of the road for free. You throw it in the trunk with 5 other donut sized spare tires you already have. Sure, it doesn't hurt to have spare tire number 6 in the back if a disaster happens, but it isn't going to make the car run better. That's what we need to do here, we need to improve the Leafs not horde spare parts like toilet paper. As I said earlier, unless this guy can throw a punch, a body check or temper tantrum after a poor team effort he isn't a player we need.

The analogy would make more sense if you consider that the tire is perfectly functional and you have a winter beater at home (the Marlies) that could use the tire as well at no extra cost to you. We’re not hoarding, this is normal asset management.

And cap flexibility is a real thing that isn’t achieved by not having contingency plans or guys who can step into similar roles at a cheaper price. Is he better than those guys? Possibly not, but a lot can change in a year and it might be the case. And if it comes to the point where the guy making less is playing well enough to be in the lineup and beat out guys who are making more, then there’s your flexibility and gives you a chance to go out and move someone for another area that you may need. This doesn’t mean that it’ll happen, but there’s no reason to think this isn’t a decent signing with a bit of upside based on his track record. And if he ends up just being a 4th liner? Cool, it’s a 1 year ELC.

All of this isn’t to say that they aren’t looking at their other roster holes (looking for more dmen, re-signing Clifford) but this is a guy whose game they are comfortable with that they’re able to get for no assets. I think we’re in hair-splitting territory at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad