Phanuef = 7.5 million (37-5-10-15)
Karlsson = 7.0 million (37-7-25-32)
Methot = 4.9 million (33-0-4-4)
Ceci = 2.25 million (37-1-2-3)
Boro = 1.1 million (35-1-1-2)
Wideman = 800K (32-1-7-8)
______

- The only player out preforming his contract is Dzingle

- Karlsson, Turris, Brassard, Smith, Pageau, Pyatt, Hoffman and Stone are preforming well for the money they make. Brassard is paid like a third liner and he's putting up third line numbers

We are wasting millions of dollars on no offense.
Ryan, Neil, Lazar, Phanuef, Methot, Ceci and Boro make a combined:

25.489 million
For
15 Goals

That's terrible

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Stone, Turris and Karlsson are performing "well" for the money they make?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well Murray has our team built with Ryan and phaneuf being the top two earner mega contracts. So it's a little tough to evaluate everything else when it's that skewed.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Phaneuf is making us much harder to play against eliminating second chances around the net and also showing Ceci how to be effective. Ryan... not a clutch goal scorer like advertised.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We get positive value from:
Karlsson
Stone
Turris
Pageau
Dzingel
Brassard
Hoffman
Condon
Smith

Guys who are normal value:
Anderson
Pyatt
Kelly
Wideman
Methot
Ceci

Bad value

Phaneuf
Ryan
Macarthur
Lazar
Neil
Boro

The last 3 are not so bad because of their salary.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

25.489 million
For
15 Goals

While we are at it, why don't we whine about the first line not having GAA and Sv% equal to other goaltenders around the league?

Wait a minute, you mean the first line isn't paid to tend the goal? Who knew.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I have been pretty disappointed with Pageau. I didn't expect him to repeat last seasons numbers but he hasn't been playing with that tenacity that he's known for. To be honest he looks lost on most nights.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
While we are at it, why don't we whine about the first line not having GAA and Sv% equal to other goaltenders around the league?

Wait a minute, you mean the first line isn't paid to tend the goal? Who knew.

There is only so much money the Sens have... and 25 million dollars is being spent on nothing.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I have been pretty disappointed with Pageau. I didn't expect him to repeat last seasons numbers but he hasn't been playing with that tenacity that he's known for. To be honest he looks lost on most nights.

He's been Mr. Fix-it for Boucher so far and he's done well with that role. He plays the toughest minutes up front and somehow ends up being a positive player.

I think he's been good to excellent most nights. Given his role he is hard-pressed to put up a lot of points but he'll end the season with ~30 points while taking tons of DZ deployment and being probably our best penalty killing forward.

I'll take that from a 3C all day. If we get healthy his point production might go up too. If he ends up with a healthy Mac on his line I could see him ending with 35-40 points.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
As for the bang for the buck?

Dzingel, Turris, Stone and Karlsson have all been fantastic.

Wideman, Smith, Pageau and Pyatt have all been good.

Methot, Hoffman, Brassard ($3M), Kelly, Ceci have all been right around market value.

We have some overpaid players for sure but the Stone, Turris, Karlsson deals more than make up for that. Handing out bad deals isn't our problem right now.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Remember that Phaneuf isn't costing us his cap hit. He has a backloaded contract, and the Leafs took care of the expensive years.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Well Murray has our team built with Ryan and phaneuf being the top two earner mega contracts. So it's a little tough to evaluate everything else when it's that skewed.

and...the only reason phaneuf is a top earner is because Cowen, Greening and Michalek:banghead:

And in the last two years we basically just gave millions of dollars to players we knew werent nhl calibre talent in Neil and Phillips

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We get positive value from:
Karlsson
Stone
Turris
Pageau
Dzingel
Brassard
Hoffman
Condon
Smith

Guys who are normal value:
Anderson
Pyatt
Kelly
Wideman
Methot
Ceci

Bad value

Phaneuf
Ryan
Macarthur
Lazar
Neil
Boro

The last 3 are not so bad because of their salary.

Is kelly good value? I kinda doubt hed be in the NHL atm if it werent for the sens

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Is kelly good value? I kinda doubt hed be in the NHL atm if it werent for the sens

I put him in normal value. IMO when you pay a player this amount of money there's a strong chance you end up with a player like Kelly. He's not anything special but he provides some positive(and negative). He's an average 4rth liner from what I see. I think he would be better with someone other than Neil and Lazar. He still thinks the game well enough

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I put him in normal value. IMO when you pay a player this amount of money there's a strong chance you end up with a player like Kelly. He's not anything special but he provides some positive(and negative). He's an average 4rth liner from what I see. I think he would be better with someone other than Neil and Lazar. He still thinks the game well enough

Thinking about it more i'd say youre right. Probably neutral value.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Ryan = 7.25 million (32-7-7-14)
Turris = 4.0 million (37-12-13-25)
Hoffman = 3.8 million (33-10-15-25)
Stone = 3.5 million (36-11-18-28)
Brassard = 3.0 million (37-8-9-17)
Smith = 2.35 million (35-8-7-15)
Neil = 1.5 million (36-1-1-2)
Lazar = 989K (17-0-0-0)
Kelly = 900K (37-2-5-7)
Pageau = 900K (37-4-9-13)
Pyatt = 800K (37-4-5-9)
Dzingle = 750K (37-8-12-20)

Phanuef = 7.5 million (37-5-10-15)
Karlsson = 7.0 million (37-7-25-32)
Methot = 4.9 million (33-0-4-4)
Ceci = 2.25 million (37-1-2-3)
Boro = 1.1 million (35-1-1-2)
Wideman = 800K (32-1-7-8)
______

- The only player out preforming his contract is Dzingle
Completely disagree with the bolded. If you're looking strictly at points Stone, Turris, Methot, Karlsson, Dzingle, Hoffman, Pageau, Brassard are all good value for the money. Where things break down is where we start to compare production to expectations.

25.489 million
For
15 Goals

That's terrible
My initial reaction was to disagree with this just because it was posted by Sens but after looking closer at the numbers I do agree with the bolded. If you go through the salary structure of the top teams (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA etc.) they don't have any contracts of this magnitude that aren't producing for this length of time. If we were just looking at this money for 1-2 years I wouldn't have a problem with it but this is going to be a problem for the next 5 and should be a concern.

That said, Boro, Methot, Ceci, Lazar and Neil have no business being on that list. Every team that I looked at had multiple players (3, 4, 5, 6....) making $.5M-1.5M with less than 10 points.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
For Boro I'd specify.. I don't think he's necessarely bad value as a player. I think he's not been that bad this season. You look around the NHL and guys who are not on an ELC and are making around 1M are for the most part 6-7th dman.

The problem with Boro is he takes so many penalties and that's where he gets in the bad value section. He's a defensemen, so normaly it's hard to have 5 D on a lot of occasions (since he takes a lot of penalties and doesn't play PP). It affects our flexibility on D and takes away options for the coach. Hitting hard and playing hard is fine, but when you're a D it's tough for the coach to be missing you for 5 minutes when you fight.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Absolutely no reason to hate on Phaneuf. He's been real solid for us giving us 2 solid defensive pairings. He might be overpaid, but so far he's been worth every penny for what this team needed for their second pairing. The only ones we can point fingers on so far is Ryan, Lazar and MacArthur (for unfortunate reasons).

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Phaneuf is doing his job all things considered especially with the salary out. Think you might need to re-watch the past few seasons with our original d-corp.

Methot lets Karlsson play his game, so that's good enough value compared to when Cowen/Boro/Wiercioch was playing with him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Absolutely no reason to hate on Phaneuf. He's been real solid for us giving us 2 solid defensive pairings. He might be overpaid, but so far he's been worth every penny for what this team needed for their second pairing. The only ones we can point fingers on so far is Ryan, Lazar and MacArthur (for unfortunate reasons).

I don't see anyone hating on Phaneuf. This is a thread about bang for your buck (as in value of a player relative to other players with similar salary). This is not a what he brings to the team compared to what we had type of thing. We're all aware that to the Sens Phaneuf cost a lot less since we let got of Michalek, Greening and Cowen and therefore he brings good value all things considered..

But in reality when you look at the player and the contract, Phaneuf should obviously not be making that much money (bang for your buck). The majority of defensemen making that salary bring more to the table than Phaneuf other than some exceptions. The more and more we go, the more defensemen are paid more and Phaneuf has a lower salary from this year on to the end of his contract so it isn't so bad for the future though.

Also need to remember that the only reason we value Phaneuf relative to his salary is because of errors from management.and inability to develop/acquire a defensemen for 4 years in a row before last year. Had we not dumped contracts to acquire him the script would be different and again that relates to bang for your buck as an individual player.

I really don't hate on Phaneuf, I'm happy to have him but to say he's a bang for you buck player is simply false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad