WC: Bandy Kazan 2011

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Cheers for the link, wish I knew sport-express was going to broadcast all matches before hand. Only got to see end of Finland-America match but result was as expected. Kind of interested to see how well Kazakhstan can do against Swedes.

As for Group B, Latvia didnt have the best start getting beat 2:15 to Belarus. :( Hopefully things go better for us the rest of the tournament.

Should be a great tournament as always.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Belorus' is good and would have played in top-six if not for being disqualified last year, no shame here, they are not in Latvija's league...yes I will watch Swe - Kaz over the KHL game right now))

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev 72

Out of curiosity, although it is obviously a fun sport, why is that major cities on the permafrost like Krasnoyarsk, Kemerovo, Arkhangelsk and others ignore hockey in favor of bandy? As far as I know, those cities do not even have an indoor hockey rink. Any thoughts or information?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Out of curiosity, although it is obviously a fun sport, why is that major cities on the permafrost like Krasnoyarsk, Kemerovo, Arkhangelsk and others ignore hockey in favor of bandy? As far as I know, those cities do not even have an indoor hockey rink. Any thoughts or information?

u mean real ice - hockey? I think there are hockey schools there, just not as popular as bandy...Bandy is awesome, one should watch it a few times to see how cool the sport is. Not tailored for a NA fan much - as it is no contact, but for a European fan and a soccer fan it's a pretty good alternative...Too bad it's not marketed much even in Russia.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev 72

u mean real ice - hockey? I think there are hockey schools there, just not as popular as bandy...Bandy is awesome, one should watch it a few times to see how cool the sport is. Not tailored for a NA fan much - as it is no contact, but for a European fan and a soccer fan it's a pretty good alternative...Too bad it's not marketed much even in Russia.

Anatoli Firsov explained the difference in an article several years ago - bandy is "hockey with ball," and ice hockey is "hockey with puck." It appears to be much more like soccer on ice than hockey. It looks like a lot of fun. The reason I bring up those large cities with lots of population and long, cold winters is a curiosity as to whether bandy attracts a lot of potential hockey prospects away from ice hockey. How do the salaries compare for bandy and hockey?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Anatoli Firsov explained the difference in an article several years ago - bandy is "hockey with ball," and ice hockey is "hockey with puck." It appears to be much more like soccer on ice than hockey. It looks like a lot of fun. The reason I bring up those large cities with lots of population and long, cold winters is a curiosity as to whether bandy attracts a lot of potential hockey prospects away from ice hockey. How do the salaries compare for bandy and hockey?

you can play bandy under open air professionally, our government won't build arena's for them....

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Cheers for the link, wish I knew sport-express was going to broadcast all matches before hand. Only got to see end of Finland-America match but result was as expected. Kind of interested to see how well Kazakhstan can do against Swedes.

As for Group B, Latvia didnt have the best start getting beat 2:15 to Belarus. :( Hopefully things go better for us the rest of the tournament.

Should be a great tournament as always.

like I said Belarus' will play USA for the last spot in the top 6.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
wish finns had won for the good of the sport, but a pretty good tournament, if not for the weather and Kazakhs gave fins a fight for the money too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad