Kings News: Bandon Kozun Re-Signed to a One Year Deal

treize_kushrenada

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't seen a thread but it says it on the monarchs website. So I guess the kings have plans for him?

Mod Edit - http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/06/19/brandon-kozun-re-signs-for-one-year/#more-34765

Shifty 5-foot-8 forward Brandon Kozun re-signed with the Los Angeles Kings for one year, the team announced Wednesday.

The 2013-14 season appears to be an important year in Kozun’s professional career. With his elite skating, willingness to shoot and strong stickhandling ability, he is more equipped to handle a skill role with an NHL club than he is to perform in a checking capability. The Kings are looking for more production from the left side, and as a right wing without any regular season NHL experience, Kozun will need to continue to forge a favorable impression at training camp despite his consistent production through three years at the AHL level if he’s to earn a roster spot on next year’s Los Angeles team. Considering his size and the Kings’ needs, that appears to be a significant challenge – though the cap-tightened team will surely be ready to consider less-expensive options.

Last edited by a moderator:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
He has a good opportunity to make it.

Ehh...last little while was his best shot IMO. He's getting passed over on the depth chart and his size doesn't help him at all. He's a top 6 skilled type of player at one of our deepest positions. He'll be great to have in Manchester but he won't really do all that much NHL wise, if anything.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Ehh...last little while was his best shot IMO. He's getting passed over on the depth chart and his size doesn't help him at all. He's a top 6 skilled type of player at one of our deepest positions. He'll be great to have in Manchester but he won't really do all that much NHL wise, if anything.

Yeah, he definitely got passed up on depth chart. Before guys like Vey, Pearson and Toffoli..that was his best shot. Now he's undersized and isn't outscoring these guys - with the exception of Pearson who had a very good first year.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
He's my dark horse to make the roster next season. He's not the perimeter player some of you are thinking he is. He goes to the dirty areas and he battles. Size aside, the dude has skills. More options and better competition is good.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I tend to agree with TG. He's going to be brought on the 3rd/4th line, not a scoring line, so being passed by Toffoli matters little. Pearson and Vey though might be an issue, at least in the short term until they work their way up.

Either way, someone is coming in to replace Fraser I figure.

KingKopitar11*

Yeah they are giving him a good luck this year. I'm not saying he will make it exactly, but they are giving him a good shot.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah they are giving him a good luck this year. I'm not saying he will make it exactly, but they are giving him a good shot.

That's what I was suggesting last year actually. Trying him out on the 3rd line with stoll and Lewis on the left.

This kid brings tenacity, some speed, goes to all the dirty areas despite his size. Yes he might get manhandled at first but I would love to see him get a shot to give us a tad bit more scoring on the bottom 6.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'd love it if Kozun turns into our very own little ball of hate. His playstyle isn't far off from guys like Marchand. Having a Marchand lite on our 3rd/4th lines would boost the offense without giving up much in other areas. I'd rather see a smaller tenacious guy out there than a big one who doesn't use their size.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
He's my dark horse to make the roster next season. He's not the perimeter player some of you are thinking he is. He goes to the dirty areas and he battles. Size aside, the dude has skills. More options and better competition is good.

I know Kozun. I know he's not a perimeter player. But the Kings like size in their bottom six and if not size, defensive ability. Kozun isn't great in either area. He'd be okay on the 3rd line but where would the room for him be? If we sign Holloway, our LWers would seem to be Brown, Holloway, Clifford, and King. Those four would probably be regulars. That means Toffoli is sticking on RW where we already have Carter, Williams, and Lewis on top of Toffoli. I just don't see the room for him unless he's going to be a spare forward.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
"Can he play LW?"

Lombardi probably has that phrase tattooed to his ass.

And if he doesn't, he should.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How similar is he to Moller, for those that have seen both in action? The scouting report seems to read exactly the same way, except maybe that Kozun is a bit more of a pain to play against?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
How similar is he to Moller, for those that have seen both in action? The scouting report seems to read exactly the same way, except maybe that Kozun is a bit more of a pain to play against?

Moller seemed timid to me at times, IIRC. Kozun has no fear. That guy has balls. I just question if he has enough skill to make it with his size.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.

Similar, though Moller never INITIATED body checks like Kozun appears to in this clip,
"little ball of hate" might be taking it too far, but the kid's not no *****'cat' either.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

Similar, though Moller never INITIATED body checks like Kozun appears to in this clip,
"little ball of hate" might be taking it too far, but the kid's not no *****'cat' either.

That's actually pretty accurate. Early on in the AHL he used to take a crazy number of tripping and slashing calls because he was so tenacious and was always attempting to get a stick on an opponent to break up a play. The penalties are something he's been able to cut down on but he still has that tenacity and in your face playing style. Makes him a really tough guy to play against. Is he going to destroy a guy in a fight? No. But is he going to catch a guy on the wrist after a pass or constantly have your stick tied up while skating up ice? Yes. Just a pesky little guy that always around and gets under peoples skin.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Bandon Kozun Re-Signed to a One Year Deal

Is there an R? I'd like to solve the puzzle...

BRANDON KOZUN RE-SIGNED TO A ONE YEAR DEAL

for 500, I'll take the diminutive forward
for 300, I'll take the La-Z-Boy
the rest on gift certificate...

Captain Mittens*

Bandon Kozun Re-Signed to a One Year Deal

Is there an R? I'd like to solve the puzzle...

BRANDON KOZUN RE-SIGNED TO A ONE YEAR DEAL

for 500, I'll take the diminutive forward
for 300, I'll take the La-Z-Boy
the rest on gift certificate...

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
If Brendan Gallagher can play in the NHL, and be a finalist for the Calder Trophy, then so can Kozun. Kozun is probably a better player than Gallagher. Why one is in the NHL, and the other is not, is strictly because of opportunity and the organizations they play for, in my opinion at least. Hopefully the Kings give him a nice long look this upcoming season. Would be nice to add some speed, skill, and sandpaper to our lineup, no matter the size. Will see I guess.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
He's gonna continue to chip away in Manchester for a while but I see his future in Europe, not in the NHL.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If Kozun is given a chance to make the roster, he will.

The kid is relentless on the puck, Sutter would love the kid. Getting a look is the hard part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad