Balsillie/Phoenix part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
So they've decided by not blocking it that his proposed purchase and relocation doesn't cause any U.S. anti-trust issues. Did anyone think it did?

It doesn't look like this is a ruling on the league not allowing the move since that request hasn't yet been addressed by the BoG.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible, is this ruling even important to the overall issues?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So they've decided by not blocking it that his proposed purchase and relocation doesn't cause any U.S. anti-trust issues. Did anyone think it did?

It doesn't look like this is a ruling on the league not allowing the move since that request hasn't yet been addressed byu the BoG.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible, is this ruling even important to the overall issues?

Actually, this touches whether he is actually allowed to own both...I've seen a few communications companies have to go to an anti-trust court to make sure that they could actually possess both...the thing is, I'm not sure this would hold any weight (since RIM is headquartered in Kitchener and he wants to move to Hamilton, he probably would need a Canadian anti-trust court)...I may be wrong (since RIM is based out of CT), but I think where you operate does come into play here...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

It doesn't look like this is a ruling on the league not allowing the move since that request hasn't yet been addressed by the BoG.

I don't think it's huge, but it only adds to his case.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I don't think it's huge, but it only adds to his case.

It's meaningless. It means there is no U.S. objection to the bald billionaire operating a hockey team while continuing involvement in the PDA business. It's like an official ruling that you may own a table and a car.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
It's meaningless. It means there is no U.S. objection to the bald billionaire operating a hockey team while continuing involvement in the PDA business. It's like an official ruling that you may own a table and a car.

Who runs that board, Suze Orman?

"You have my permission, treat yourself to this indulgence, honey."

:)

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Wow, nice try. Same rights as in the NHL can't restrict Hamilton's viewership to a 300-foot radius of Copps Coliseum. JB wants to show Hamilton games in Toronto and throughout the GTA / Southern Ontario. He's not asking the judge to declare that TSN / Leafs TV / Sportsnet have to pay him the same price as the Leafs to broadcast the same number of Hamilton games.

"Nice try" ? ?

Any one know how the TV territory rights would apply to a Hamilton franchise? In accordance with the current TV territory principles, would Toronto be included in Hamilton's market?

The reference to the TV contract is not there so that the team gets paid the same for the broadcast rights, but so the Leafs do not get to demand a portion of the Hamilton team's TV broadcast payment as part of the territory infringement payment.

See, that makes a lot more sense. I just assumed JB was insane.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I merged the Balsillie US anti-trust article into this thread. It's noteworthy, but doesn't needs a separate thread.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
So with SPAC buying the Panthers, where does that leave the count of known people interested in keeping the Yotes in Phoenix? One?

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
So with SPAC buying the Panthers, where does that leave the count of known people interested in keeping the Yotes in Phoenix? One?
Since it's since been clarified that this group was never involved in the Reinsdorf bid but their CEO may have been asked to work in a bit of a consulting/due diligence capacity for him, I'd say it maybbe exactly the same as it was before.

Reinsdorf (although he may or may not still be interested with the legal hassles)
Minority Coyotes owner (forget the guy's name)

Not bad since the bidding process hasn't even been opened up yet.

Diggy

Oct 16, 2007
Orange County
Reinsdorf (although he may or may not still be interested with the legal hassles)
Minority Coyotes owner (forget the guy's name)

Not bad since the bidding process hasn't even been opened up yet.
To be honest I would really be surprised if some offer from Portland or Seattle does not show up also if movement is possible.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
...there are a ton of Leafs games on Sportsnet Ontario and half of them would likely disappear with Balsille in Hamilton

Maybe not.

It's quite possible that it's Hamilton that would have trouble getting on Sportsnet.

Sportsnet is a regional broadcaster so each team negotiates their own deal with them. I recall a radio segment a few months ago where it was said that the Leafs are the only team that actually gets paid by Sportsnet.

The other canadian teams all pay Sportsnet and then make their money off of the advertising. The games are essentially put on the air by the individual teams.

Toronto is a cash cow for Sportsnet, I doubt they would willingly sacrifice that cow for an unestablished brand.

The Pouzar

May 6, 2009
The Kop
Which the Leafs should have rights to, since the next contract will likely be less money for them as a direct result of Balsille moving a team into the area...there are a ton of Leafs games on Sportsnet Ontario and half of them would likely disappear with Balsille in Hamilton

That would be a non factor Sportsnet Ontatio would broadcast the new games on nonLeaf nights , very similar to the way it handles the Oilers and Flames games on the west channel. You'd end up getting double headers as well.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
A team in Hamilton in the same division as a team in Vancouver? That makes perfect sense... I think they made the smartest move possible there, though. They appeased a lot of owners with the smooth division move, but they still have no chance.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Staying in the West makes sense, as it differentiates the product more. I would say that this works better for the 2 NY, LA and Chicago teams in MLB and both NY teams in the NFL than it does for NY and LA teams in both the NHL and NBA (which are all in the same conference).

EDIT: I can see why he picked the NW, but the Central probably makes more sense in the long run.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Putting Hamilton in the NW would really put a kink in Vancouver's hopes of reducing travel (especially on road-trips), and would no doubt frustrate Calgary and Edmonton as well (just in terms of travel).

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
EDIT: I can see why he picked the NW, but the Central probably makes more sense in the long run.

No doubt he is looking at the three other Canadian teams in the NW and sees it as the best alternative to not having a chance in hell at getting into the NE division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad