Ballon D'or 2021: Who wins it?

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
Haaland easily had a better overall campaign than Messi. You don't win a treble by being average the entire year fam. What Haaland did with City was more impressive than Messi winning the World Cup easily, like you can't even debate that. Nonetheless, I am not even debating that Haaland should've won it, there were many candidates who would've been superior to Messi.

Messi was for more crucial in the World Cup then Haaland was in the CL knock outs especially the SF and Final where he was a non-factor mostly as he was in the FA Cup final.

I meant the last Euros when they didn't win and the World Cup.

Messi was good at the WC, just like Alaverz was. It was by committee and Argentina got a very easy bracket, it wasn't like Messi was Mbappe that one year.
By committee... lol, did you even watch the World Cup?

And what one year of Mbappe are you talking about?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Few french players won the Ballon D'or, even when deserving. Henry, Ribery, Zidane and Mbappe combine for a single one.
The French created trophy seems to fear being called biased.
So I wouldn't expect anything different.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
Few french players won the Ballon D'or, even when deserving. Henry, Ribery, Zidane and Mbappe combine for a single one.
Here is a comparison of the podium finishes of French players in the Ballon d'Or voting and the Fifa World Player Of The Year/The Best voting. The comparison starts in 1991 (when the Fifa award was introduced) and includes 32 editions of both awards (including the 6 editions when the two awards were merged between 2010 and 2015).

Ballon d'Or

1 (Papin 91), 1 (Zidane 98), 1 (Benzema 22), 2 (Zidane 00), 2 (Henry 03), 3 (Cantona 93), 3 (Zidane 97), 3 (Henry 06), 3 (Ribery 13), 3 (Griezmann 16), 3 (Griezmann 18), 3 (Mbappe 23)

3 wins, 12 podium finishes

Fifa World Player Of The Year/The Best

1 (Zidane 98), 1 (Zidane 00), 1 (Zidane 03), 2 (Papin 91), 2 (Henry 03), 2 (Henry 04), 2 (Zidane 06), 2 (Mbappe 22), 3 (Zidane 97), 3 (Zidane 02), 3 (Ribery 13), 3 (Griezmann 16), 3 (Benzema 22)

3 wins, 13 podium finishes

Overall French players have had very similar finishes in both awards. The main difference is that Zidane did much better in the Fifa voting than in the Ballon d'Or voting.

Considering that Messi's margin of victory was 105 points it is not as if the vote of Wolff made any difference to the end result though. Because even if we throw that vote out Messi would still win with a margin of 99 points.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Here is a comparison of the podium finishes of French players in the Ballon d'Or voting and the Fifa World Player Of The Year/The Best voting. The comparison starts in 1991 (when the Fifa award was introduced) and includes 32 editions of both awards (including the 6 editions when the two awards were merged between 2010 and 2015).

Ballon d'Or

1 (Papin 91), 1 (Zidane 98), 1 (Benzema 22), 2 (Zidane 00), 2 (Henry 03), 3 (Cantona 93), 3 (Zidane 97), 3 (Henry 06), 3 (Ribery 13), 3 (Griezmann 16), 3 (Griezmann 18), 3 (Mbappe 23)

3 wins, 12 podium finishes

Fifa World Player Of The Year/The Best

1 (Zidane 98), 1 (Zidane 00), 1 (Zidane 03), 2 (Papin 91), 2 (Henry 03), 2 (Henry 04), 2 (Zidane 06), 2 (Mbappe 22), 3 (Zidane 97), 3 (Zidane 02), 3 (Ribery 13), 3 (Griezmann 16), 3 (Benzema 22)

3 wins, 13 podium finishes

Overall French players have had very similar finishes in both awards. The main difference is that Zidane did much better in the Fifa voting than in the Ballon d'Or voting.

Considering that Messi's margin of victory was 105 points it is not as if the vote of Wolff made any difference to the end result though. Because even if we throw that vote out Messi would still win with a margin of 99 points.
Fact is most people would tell you Ribery should have won it.
That Zidane won it after his weakest NT competition in 98 but not in 00 with an incredible performance nor in 2006 with stellar WC.
Henry was never won one which is laughable.
He had some of the most dominant seasons ever in the EPL.

As for the voting I'm just pointing out the once again laughable homerish votes by some voters.
The French guy voted Haaland which is fair. The Norway guy didn't vote for Mbappe at all. The argentinian guy had 4 Argentinians in his top 5.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Zidane had no chance of winning in 2006 after his sending off in the WC final, however well he might have played.

Yes, the voting of some journalists devalues the prize. I think they should be stripped of their voting rights in the future, although individual bans won't help if they're replaced by just another homer.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Zidane had no chance of winning in 2006 after his sending off in the WC final, however well he might have played.

Yes, the voting of some journalists devalues the prize. I think they should stripped of their voting rights in the future, although individual bans won't help if they're replaced by just another homer.
Which is sad because he was class all tournament.

Reactions: luiginb

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
3 out of these 4 should have won. And one should have won it twice maybe even 3 times.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
Fact is most people would tell you Ribery should have won it.
That Zidane won it after his weakest NT competition in 98 but not in 00 with an incredible performance nor in 2006 with stellar WC.
Henry was never won one which is laughable.
He had some of the most dominant seasons ever in the EPL.
Just to be clear I am not arguing against that those players should have won more Ballon d'Or awards between them. Personally I would have voted for Zidane in 2000, Henry in 2003 and Ribery in 2013. The point of my previous post was just to show that the Fifa voting does not suggest that it is a case of that the Ballon d'Or voters avoids voting for french players because they "seem to fear being called biased".

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just to be clear I am not arguing against that those players should have won more Ballon d'Or awards between them. Personally I would have voted for Zidane in 2000, Henry in 2003 and Ribery in 2013. The point of my previous post was just to show that the Fifa voting does not suggest that it is a case of that the Ballon d'Or voters avoids voting for french players because they "seem to fear being called biased".
Maybe FIFA has the same bias then. :D
What I do know is that some french players were clearly robbed. Sometimes multiple times.

Wait, you're in Merida Yucatan????

Reactions: Batis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad