Goalies: Ball Hockey Goalie Training

Nov 4, 2017
Hello all, I was wondering if I could get some help with improving my game. I am pretty good, but I want to be better. Here are my stats from last year; Sv%-900 GAA-2.05 with a record of 13-1-0. Any help in terms of drills would be great, thanks! I have already posted this in Fitness and training and General Sports, so you might see it there too.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
It's hard to know how to help without knowing what your competition or level of play is like (for that matter, the statistics you provided could indeed be evidence that you're pretty good, or it could be evidence that you're playing on a team that's better than the competition).

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Nov 4, 2017
It's hard to know how to help without knowing what your competition or level of play is like (for that matter, the statistics you provided could indeed be evidence that you're pretty good, or it could be evidence that you're playing on a team that's better than the competition).
The league is made up of ice hockey players from AAA to local league, and we are sorted into 5-8 teams by a draft. The league also sends teams to Ontario Provincials, and they do pretty well.

Last edited:

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not a goalie really, (I'm trying to learn the position, just starting out) so I wouldn't really be able to offer technical advice. I would assume yoga and lots of stretching would be very helpful, if these aren't things you are doing. Strength and conditioning workouts, with lots of focus on legs since you are up and down and side to side would also be good.

It sounds like you're a pretty darn good tendy with the stats you listed. Just keep at it and stay open to learning new things about the position and find your weaknesses and chip away at them.

Also do you practice regularly with a team or just by yourself?

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not a goalie really, (I'm trying to learn the position, just starting out) so I wouldn't really be able to offer technical advice. I would assume yoga and lots of stretching would be very helpful, if these aren't things you are doing. Strength and conditioning workouts, with lots of focus on legs since you are up and down and side to side would also be good.

It sounds like you're a pretty darn good tendy with the stats you listed. Just keep at it and stay open to learning new things about the position and find your weaknesses and chip away at them.

Also do you practice regularly with a team or just by yourself?
Our league has 10 min practices before games because there is no flood. The only practice I get is my dad shooting at me from 15 feet away in our basement. I don't play ice hockey goalie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Only thing I can say, but your stats are pretty good, is try and stay square to the shooter, and get your body behind the ball

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad