Ball/Dek Hockey Thread

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Not sure if anyone actually plays ball/dek hockey here, or if there is even a main thread for it.

Some new companies are popping up now:

Hagan, Knapper and TronX(?)

Welcome to hear about stories, or even equipment reviews. Anything helps!

Reactions: Macheteops

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Ball hockey is really big here in Vancouver & the surrounding cities. Very popular among immigrant communities like Indians who didn't grow up with ice. I've played on provincial teams and such with a lot of guys who played for team Canada. Currently play in Premiere Ball Hockey League and Langley Hockey House.

I prefer ice hockey as I'm more of a skill player and it's much easier to pull off flashy dekes and such in ice hockey, ice hockey is a much more graceful sport as you get to coast, more about skill and less about sheer athleticism and its easier to avoid injuries considering all the gear you're wearing.

Ball hockey (at least in these competitive leagues) is insanely tough cardio (probably the toughest of any sport), very physical, attracts tons of goons, very easy to get injured and covered in bruises in, it's a more choppy sport as a ball is harder to control than a puck, etc.

When it comes to gear I use my regular ice hockey helmet/gloves/sticks, and some D-Gel Knee/Shin pads. I also wear my ice hockey elbow pads but 90% of players don't wear elbows. I wear ASICS Rocket court shoes, although I wanted to try Knapper shoes. I don't know of any stores that sell Knapper shoes here, I ordered some online before but they ran too small unfortunately so I had to return.

Reactions: bossram and Sky04

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Dek/Ball hockey is incredibly popular around Pittsburgh. We've had tons of rinks popping up all over the place and it's a pretty active community.

Aside from getting a quality stick I don't bother dropping much money on it, usually use cheapo $20 mylec pads and whatever decent gloves are on sale at Dunhams.

It's a ton of fun and a great way to exercise.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Aside from getting a quality stick I don't bother dropping much money on it, usually use cheapo $20 mylec pads and whatever decent gloves are on sale at Dunhams.

I wish I had that advice first. When I started a few years back I really wasn't aware of the sport. A family friend recommended to join his team and I went in blind. Used my actual ice hockey stick (with tape), ice pads, gloves and felt so out of place.

After the first session, someone told me that our local hockey shop has Bauer Dek gloves and pads. Bought those two, and a cheap junior stick on clearance. Changing the equipment definitely worked wonders for me and my performance.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Do you guys wear high or low top shoes to play?
I've played organized ball hockey since I was a little kid and when I was younger I wore high top basketball shoes. I switched to low top shoes, currently wearing ASICS Rocket court shoes. Had no problems until a few weeks ago I sprained my ankle. It rolled over when stopping suddenly. I'm wondering if high top shoes significantly help with protecting from ankle injuries?

If so I might get these Knapper shoes:
ak7-interceptor-mid-shoe.jpg

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I've played organized ball hockey since I was a little kid and when I was younger I wore high top basketball shoes. I switched to low top shoes, currently wearing ASICS Rocket court shoes. Had no problems until a few weeks ago I sprained my ankle. It rolled over when stopping suddenly. I'm wondering if high top shoes significantly help with protecting from ankle injuries?

That's always the worst - I'm susceptible to ankle rolling, especially on my left foot. I wear an ankle support under my long socks. Unfortunately though with regards to the shoe question, I just wear regular sneakers as if I'm going to the gym.

I've been thinking about investing in either indoor soccer sneakers. High top BB shoes seem so thick and 'large' to me.

I haven't had time but I'm interested in Knapper. Their gloves look so sleek. Couple guys have them in my league - along with Hagan

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

ak7-interceptor-mid-shoe.jpg
I have a tendency to go with lower top shoes for everyday wear and tend to wear them for sports, but ball hockey especially I usually use mid-to-high top shoes, helps a lot with sticks/pucks hitting the ankle as well as added ankle support.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's always the worst - I'm susceptible to ankle rolling, especially on my left foot. I wear an ankle support under my long socks. Unfortunately though with regards to the shoe question, I just wear regular sneakers as if I'm going to the gym.

I've been thinking about investing in either indoor soccer sneakers. High top BB shoes seem so thick and 'large' to me.

I haven't had time but I'm interested in Knapper. Their gloves look so sleek. Couple guys have them in my league - along with Hagan

You should try them on before ordering if you can, the glove sizes run small.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
I wish my area was active in Dek/Ball hockey. Many years ago it was, then it just died out. My local AHL, Utica Comets are building a new facility next to their arena that is supposed to have 3 rinks inside of it for practice and to host tournaments. Hopefully this new arena will bring back Dek hockey and I don’t have to travel 1.5 hrs to get into a game like I am now.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
You should try them on before ordering if you can, the glove sizes run small.

Just ordered some Hagans which our league rep got for a discount. They are not the newest model, and t I hope they don't rip as easily as my bauer ones did (fingers and thumbs somehow have holes in them :laugh:)

These should be coming in soon: H-1 Player Glove (Black)

I wish you area was active in Dek/Ball hockey. Many years ago it was, then it just died out. My local AHL, Utica Comets are building a new facility next to their arena that is supposed to have 3 rinks inside of it for practice and to host tournaments. Hopefully this new arena will bring back Dek hockey and I don’t have to travel 1.5 hrs to get into a game like I am now.

Rhode Island has a decent ball hockey community. We have an outdoor tile rink that has leagues throughout the week. We used to have Ball Hockey at an Indoor Complex, but 'declining participation' was the reason the complex shut it down and built a new turf soccer field

Massachusetts has a number of indoor sports complexes with Dek Hockey. Unfortunately, the one place that was 'near' me (25 min drive) shut and closed down due to COVID. I'm not interested in driving nearly an hour to go play, and an hour to come back.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
Just ordered some Hagans which our league rep got for a discount. They are not the newest model, and t I hope they don't rip as easily as my bauer ones did (fingers and thumbs somehow have holes in them :laugh:)

These should be coming in soon: H-1 Player Glove (Black)

Rhode Island has a decent ball hockey community. We have an outdoor tile rink that has leagues throughout the week. We used to have Ball Hockey at an Indoor Complex, but 'declining participation' was the reason the complex shut it down and built a new turf soccer field

Massachusetts has a number of indoor sports complexes with Dek Hockey. Unfortunately, the one place that was 'near' me (25 min drive) shut and closed down due to COVID. I'm not interested in driving nearly an hour to go play, and an hour to come back.
I would do the drive, especially for a high-end skilled league. The guys I play with now are decent and are great guys, but just not at the level I played at many years ago. I took 15+ years off from playing and have been back for a couple months and my GAA in this league 4.00 for Dek hockey and we play (4) 12 min periods. Needless to say, I am enjoying my time playing again, but would love to get into something with better skill players.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I play ball hockey exclusively now. Just way, way cheaper than ice and the rink times are less egregious for equivalent beer leagues.

Out on the West Coast, the highest Divs do attract a lot of very good ice players. You'll find a lot of Dub or Jr. A ringers.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I play ball hockey exclusively now. Just way, way cheaper than ice and the rink times are less egregious for equivalent beer leagues.

Out on the West Coast, the highest Divs do attract a lot of very good ice players. You'll find a lot of Dub or Jr. A ringers.

See, I was always under the impression that the West Coast was more into inline/roller and the East was more into ball/dek.

You're right about the cost. I pay 80-90 per session with playoffs and jersey fees included. Ice is like 300+ :help:

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
See, I was always under the impression that the West Coast was more into inline/roller and the East was more into ball/dek.

You're right about the cost. I pay 80-90 per session with playoffs and jersey fees included. Ice is like 300+ :help:

I am hoping with the building of the new facility in my area it will resurrect the interest in Ball/Dek around here. I spoke to someone there and they will be offering arena rentals for private use, I cant wait to see how much this is, LOL. The biggest hurdle will be finding 14-16 that want to play consistently. But I am determined to get this rolling again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad