Baldur's Gate 3

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I’m on PS5 and have played for about 4 hours or so and I’ve had zero issues personally. This game is fun as hell but also a bit overwhelming. I haven’t played a turn based rpg in a long long time.

Had a couple of questions. Is looting a ton necessary? So far I’m picking up almost everything but wasn’t sure if needed. I haven’t even gotten to an area to sell stuff yet. Do you end up crafting things or no?

I’m also wasting a lot of bonus actions because all I have really is like push or put your sword into something. Rarely have I gotten the chance to do either.

Any idea what that undead spell does? The explanation completely confuses me so I haven’t used it as an action yet:laugh:
Ill do my best. I'm far into the game (just finished Act II) but this is also my first type of 'this type' of game, and I am not very good.

Looting a ton isn't necessary. Early on I hoarded too. You'll come across a couple vendors fairly soon I think. If I restarted the game I would only loot food(camp supplies), ingredients/crafting materials, and items that sell for 10x their weight (IE: Wt = 1, then value must be >10). Stuff like rope, incense, inget, mortar & pestels, etc. that look like they might be used for crafting aren't actually. When you examine the item it should tell you if its used for crafting. Not a spoiler but do keep infernal metals you find. Anything you want to keep can be sent to camp right from the inventory screen. There doesn't appear to be a weight limit in camp storage.

I ended up crafting a lot of potions and oils so I would suggest picking all of the plants up, and any crafting (see the note on examining the item above) materials every time. A couple potions are really powerful. The others I tend to sell.

Keep leveling up for better bonus actions. What character type are you? My guy is a soldier and I think the real bonus action showed up at level 3.

Spells I suck at. You loot a ton of spell books though so feel free to waste one to try it out.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ill do my best. I'm far into the game (just finished Act II) but this is also my first type of 'this type' of game, and I am not very good.

Looting a ton isn't necessary. Early on I hoarded too. You'll come across a couple vendors fairly soon I think. If I restarted the game I would only loot food(camp supplies), ingredients/crafting materials, and items that sell for 10x their weight (IE: Wt = 1, then value must be >10). Stuff like rope, incense, inget, mortar & pestels, etc. that look like they might be used for crafting aren't actually. When you examine the item it should tell you if its used for crafting. Not a spoiler but do keep infernal metals you find. Anything you want to keep can be sent to camp right from the inventory screen. There doesn't appear to be a weight limit in camp storage.

I ended up crafting a lot of potions and oils so I would suggest picking all of the plants up, and any crafting (see the note on examining the item above) materials every time. A couple potions are really powerful. The others I tend to sell.

Keep leveling up for better bonus actions. What character type are you? My guy is a soldier and I think the real bonus action showed up at level 3.

Spells I suck at. You loot a ton of spell books though so feel free to waste one to try it out.
I went with Eldricht Knight Fighter as I just got to level 3. Thanks for the tips inventory can definitely get overwhelming especially with multiple people in your party. I kinda just picked two random spells I thought looked cool as I decided to do everything completely blind for the most part. Having a blast but I think I’m definitely a slow player. Gonna take me forever to finish the game I bet.

I do wish you could highlight just one quest and just see that marker. Also it would be nice to be able to view and upgrade your companions even though they’re not in your party currently. Small complaints though.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I went with Eldricht Knight Fighter as I just got to level 3. Thanks for the tips inventory can definitely get overwhelming especially with multiple people in your party. I kinda just picked two random spells I thought looked cool as I decided to do everything completely blind for the most part. Having a blast but I think I’m definitely a slow player. Gonna take me forever to finish the game I bet.

I do wish you could highlight just one quest and just see that marker. Also it would be nice to be able to view and upgrade your companions even though they’re not in your party currently. Small complaints though.
Nice, I went with a normal human straight fighter. I rock board and sword now, but it took a special shield for me to move away from the two-hand sword.

Couple other minor tips:
1. Respec'ing is cheap & easy, in camp, shortly. I wont spoil but you can yourself if you want to make sure you don't miss how to do that. It's either 100 or 200 gold and you can basically rebuild any character from level 1 at any time. I did that once I understood/figured out the best specializations for my core crew (tanks vs attackers vs spells etc.). So don't worry about doing things 'perfect'.
2. You can re-select spells from the character screen (at any time? In camp? I only do it in camp). Inventory ->character page -> spell tab.
3. There is a way to learn more (beyond level up) but I won't spoil.
4. Quest markers can get confusing. And are not always 100% accurate (I am thinking of one big one that I found was a common complaint after I gave up and googled it). Don't be afraid to google how to get somewhere/start something if you are getting annoyed.
5. Using pouches in your inventory can let you group things you want into pouches. I was only using this for camp supplies & alchemy items for most of my gameplay, then figured out I could do the same with spells/potion/etc..
6. you only need enough camp supplies 'on you' to do 1 long rest. Eventually you'll have so many it'll bog a character down. I wish I learned this earlier in my game play. The rest can be sent to camp.

I'll leave it there, but happy to share more if you want. I straight up barely understood how to effectively do battles when I started and learned pretty much everything the hard way. That being said, I'm probably 80ish hours in, just finishing Act II, and I'm loving the game. I am very glad I didn't let the turn-based/team-based battles scare me away like it almost did.

PS: This one I figured out way too late, and wish I knew earlier. The default view shows actions from various categories for each character. THERE MIGHT BE MORE HIDDEN! Don't forget to click either the buttons below the actions to see the full list of each type, or scroll from the default view. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see my 'talk to animals' spell for way too long before I realized I was looking at a summary of actions, basically. I might be the only dummy that ran into this, though.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I saw the pouches good to know. I was wondering why I need to put stuff inside other stuff. Inventory can definitely annoy me :laugh:

If I just store my food in a travel chest at camp will it use that food for a long rest at camp? Or do I actually need it on my person?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I saw the pouches good to know. I was wondering why I need to put stuff inside other stuff. Inventory can definitely annoy me :laugh:

If I just store my food in a travel chest at camp will it use that food for a long rest at camp? Or do I actually need it on my person?
What Ive found is that you need at least enough supplies on you to initiate the long rest, but once you do that it accesses all supplies in camp to select from. I keep one of the supply packs on me and then always use food & drinks so I don't accidentally consume what I carry. It saves me like 100 WT on my character.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I've used this exact rule of thumb for titles like Fallout and Skyrim and it rarely steers me wrong.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Yea you can store all food in camp. You'll get a warning that will say like you don't have enough food to complete a full long rest if you try to do it without 40 supplies on your person, but just click ok and it will use the food from the trunk in camp anyway.

I just finished the game and absolutely love it. Am really looking forward to a 2nd play through

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I played it for 10 minutes during the PS5 early access at the beginning of the month until the sound completely cut out of the game (which was later reported was a day 1 bug) at the apex of the prologue. I put it down after that and haven't picked it up since. Not really wanting to either.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So happy that they intend to add in crossplay. This game will only get better up until they publish the definitive edition.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hearing great things about this game, I have even heard it called the game of the generation.

In a world where Tears of the Kingdom exists I find it hard to believe that Baldur's Gate 3 is the game of the generation.

But if it truly is at that level I need to pick it up.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Hearing great things about this game, I have even heard it called the game of the generation.

In a world where Tears of the Kingdom exists I find it hard to believe that Baldur's Gate 3 is the game of the generation.

Their previous game was easily a top 3 game of the generation, I don't think that's a stretch at all.

Reactions: flyersnorth

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Yeah this is pretty much the best video game I've ever played.

I have no other words. It took me a month to complete my first run and I'm taking a break from video games for the next month and planning another run.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I've played both extensively and I don't think it's all that close personally. BG3 is a better game hands down. I've been a Zelda fan since the original NES one, who loves both BotW and TotK.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Since Dragon Age Origins, I have always been for that one super RPG to match it and scratch that itch. Lots of good RPGs since then have come out, but none of them really matched how good that game was until now. BG3 imo is the true spiritual successor of DAO, and one of the best games I have ever played period. Where Larian is right now, is where BioWare should have been. I hope they don't sign a deal with the devil and get bought out by the likes of EA.

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Zelda an open world tame adventure with a lot of cool physics kind of gameplay. BG3 is a traditional fantasy based western party-RPG based on DnD. Both are amazing games, but just pointing out that they're very different experiences.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I've never played this game and never will (though I loved the original ones when I was younger). But I'm just popping in this thread to say that Shadowheart is bae

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So appearently this is hitting console December 6th and I want to pick this up because all I'm hearing is that it is one of the greatest games ever made.

Before I do though I do have to ask, am I going to be lost story wise if I haven't played 1 and 2?

Or can I jump right into this game?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm 70 hours in and still in act 2. This game is huge. And it's still fantastic. Its GOTY by far for me up to now.

So appearently this is hitting console December 6th and I want to pick this up because all I'm hearing is that it is one of the greatest games ever made.

Before I do though I do have to ask, am I going to be lost story wise if I haven't played 1 and 2?

You can jump right in no problem. I've played the previous two fwiw.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm 70 hours in and still in act 2. This game is huge. And it's still fantastic. Its GOTY by far for me up to now.

You can jump right in no problem. I've played the previous two fwiw.
I’m still in Act 2 as well and will be sad once I’m finished. When it’s all said and done I have a feeling this will be my fave game of all time beating Witcher 3 and FO New Vegas.

Reactions: Andrei79

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The first two games came out a quarter century ago (1998 and 2000). I don't imagine that the devs (who aren't even the original devs) are counting on anyone remembering what happened in them.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The titles in the D&D games just refer to the main city the game is taking place in within the fictional 'Forgotten Realms' fantasy world they created. Same as the recent Dungeon's & Dragon movie, for a more current reference, thou that was in Neverwinter..

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm a sucker for good storytelling in games and from everything I saw, that seemed to be a strength with this game so I picked it up even though I gave up on Divinity 2.

I have no issue with turn based combat and I somewhat understand how my units are supposed to function and approach combat but while I don't necessarily need every engagement to be me slam dunking my enemies with ease, I feel like half my battles I'm very slightly stronger than my enemies and the other half just wandering around I'll attempt a battle with no real indication that I might be outclassed and I'll get the absolute shit kicked out of me. There seems to be no indication for the unscaled enemies hanging around some of the starting areas to be able to tell "yeah I can't handle this". I even tried turning down the difficulty to the easiest "story mode" level (which I really didn't want to do) and I still ended up in some fights where I got quickly annihilated. I end up rage quitting and haven't made much progress as a result. I want to press on and I'll try to commit but it's been a frustrating experience so far.

The cutscenes are strong stuff though.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm a sucker for good storytelling in games and from everything I saw, that seemed to be a strength with this game so I picked it up even though I gave up on Divinity 2.

I have no issue with turn based combat and I somewhat understand how my units are supposed to function and approach combat but while I don't necessarily need every engagement to be me slam dunking my enemies with ease, I feel like half my battles I'm very slightly stronger than my enemies and the other half just wandering around I'll attempt a battle with no real indication that I might be outclassed and I'll get the absolute shit kicked out of me. There seems to be no indication for the unscaled enemies hanging around some of the starting areas to be able to tell "yeah I can't handle this". I even tried turning down the difficulty to the easiest "story mode" level (which I really didn't want to do) and I still ended up in some fights where I got quickly annihilated. I end up rage quitting and haven't made much progress as a result. I want to press on and I'll try to commit but it's been a frustrating experience so far.

The cutscenes are strong stuff though.

Press T on them, you'll get their level, AC, attributes, resistances, etc.

Also, use the environment as much as you can, including barrels, objects, etc. Hide, surprise them, look up builds. There are so many ways to go about every battle.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Press T on them, you'll get their level, AC, attributes, resistances, etc.

Also, use the environment as much as you can, including barrels, objects, etc. Hide, surprise them, look up builds. There are so many ways to go about every battle.
Oh. Well it did turn out that I was just trying battles that were too hard for me. Got better the more I played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad