Baldur's Gate 3

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
OK, just reached a point where I'm pretty disappointed in the game considering all the detail they've put in place. Towards the end of act 1:

I spoke to the gnomes in Grymforge about killing Nere and they told me to first kill the scrying eye without being seen by the other gnomes. The eye happened to come right up to me after we ended the conversation, no other gnomes than the ones that want me to kill it. Cool, I'll just kill it right here and now. I do, and the gnomes that told me to kill it attack me!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
OK, just reached a point where I'm pretty disappointed in the game considering all the detail they've put in place. Towards the end of act 1:

I spoke to the gnomes in Grymforge about killing Nere and they told me to first kill the scrying eye without being seen by the other gnomes. The eye happened to come right up to me after we ended the conversation, no other gnomes than the ones that want me to kill it. Cool, I'll just kill it right here and now. I do, and the gnomes that told me to kill it attack me!
Yeah I think it counts as a settlement and there's some guardsman mechanic that triggers, something I noticed in the goblin keep when I started a murder spree. Here though I don't think they specifically said to 'kill it', I had the same thing happen so just reloaded and cast blind on it. With "all the detail they've put in place" you can achieve a lot with a well placed blind/silence/etc spell.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I’m just starting this now, just made it through the tutorial part and had my first decent sized battle. I’m running a half wood Elf because I heard they get a good passive boost and I was interested in their abilities with animals. For someone who has minimal experience in the genre, this game seems like it has a big learning curve. Any tips?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I’m just starting this now, just made it through the tutorial part and had my first decent sized battle. I’m running a half wood Elf because I heard they get a good passive boost and I was interested in their abilities with animals. For someone who has minimal experience in the genre, this game seems like it has a big learning curve. Any tips?

You can watch some tutorial videos on YouTube if you feel overwhelmed. If not, just enjoy the ride and play at a difficulty where you stress over build decisions. You can also respect at anytime with any character.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm finishing up act 3 after around 150 hours of gameplay. All I can say is that some of these character arcs are amongst the best I've ever seen in a game. I loved Astarions in particular, when you prevent him from making a decision that would change him.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I just finished it this past weekend and it was a hell of a game. As great as it was, my backlog is too big for me to want to go back through it again to see different stories but I need to go check out YouTube videos on what would happen if I made different choices.

Astarion:
I ran a party of Karlach as my main with Shadowheart, Astarion, and Gale in my party throughout pretty much the whole game and helped every party member do what they wanted to do. I let Astraion become the most powerful vampire despite others in the party disagreeing with me. I loved seeing the change in his character. I am curious to see what would have happened if I chose to stop him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I still gotta get started on Act 3. As much as I enjoy the game I'd have to put out my own criticism that I don't really see anyone adding that the game kind of wastes my time a lot. I've never seen such a good game have such a tedious and time consuming looting and inventory management mechanics. A big reason I've only barely stepped in to Act 3 then stopped is because I decided I really needed to do a full inventory cleanup, which will probably take an hour or two and I just haven't felt the desire to get into it.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I still gotta get started on Act 3. As much as I enjoy the game I'd have to put out my own criticism that I don't really see anyone adding that the game kind of wastes my time a lot. I've never seen such a good game have such a tedious and time consuming looting and inventory management mechanics. A big reason I've only barely stepped in to Act 3 then stopped is because I decided I really needed to do a full inventory cleanup, which will probably take an hour or two and I just haven't felt the desire to get into it.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is the same. Terrible inventory management.

I tend to just funnel the best gear to my active companions (unless it's very class specific)... so whenever I change from, say, Astarion to Laz'ael, it's a huge chore to re-equip all the best stuff on Laz'ael.

DOS:2 eventually had some mods that helped but yeah, Larian's inventory management systems have always been a mess. It's partly the nature of RPGs where just about everything is lootable, but there's gotta be a better way.

Maybe AI will eventually have a "give the best gear to my active companions and consider class synergies" button. Then you just need to make small tweaks based on preferences, and get back to slaughtering some drunk kobolds.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I just send most shit I don't need to camp or don't pick it up if it's equipment that isn't usable.

But I'm at the same point as you for a different reason. I really didn't want my MC to be a full blown flayer and I'd already made so many decisions that would make save scumming to do it differently tedious (basically I kept losing charisma rolls even though my stats are pretty high so I had to repeat the process multiple times which wore me out). The experience left me exhausted with the game so I'm taking a break before jumping into another full act.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I just send most shit I don't need to camp or don't pick it up if it's equipment that isn't usable.

But I'm at the same point as you for a different reason. I really didn't want my MC to be a full blown flayer and I'd already made so many decisions that would make save scumming to do it differently tedious (basically I kept losing charisma rolls even though my stats are pretty high so I had to repeat the process multiple times which wore me out). The experience left me exhausted with the game so I'm taking a break before jumping into another full act.

Why couldn't they just display items by type in collapsible separate buckets?

Weapons
1 2 3 4 5 6

Equipment
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Consumables
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Scrolls
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Etc...

And a global/local toggle to filter by value, weight, latest, etc.

I know you can sort by a bunch of different ways, but it's still just one large pile of items.

As a side note, I'm well into Act 2, and loving the Shadow-Cursed Lands. Great dark, gloomy vibe compared to the wilderness. And still distinct from the Underdark, which I also really enjoyed.

Reactions: HanSolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad