Confirmed with Link: Bakersfield the Oilers New AHL Affiliate Starting in '15-16!

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
It's official:

Bakersfield will be the Oilers new AHL affiliate next season.
http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/bakersfield-will-join-the-american-hockey-league-in-2015-16/

The Board has approved the following:
◾The Anaheim Ducks will purchase the Norfolk Admirals AHL franchise and will relocate it from Norfolk, Va., to San Diego, Calif.
◾The AHL franchise owned by the Calgary Flames will relocate from Glens Falls, N.Y., to Stockton, Calif.
◾The AHL franchise owned by the Edmonton Oilers will relocate from Oklahoma City, Okla., toBakersfield, Calif.
◾The AHL franchise owned by the Los Angeles Kings will relocate from Manchester, N.H., to Ontario, Calif.
◾The AHL franchise owned by the San Jose Sharks will relocate from Worcester, Mass., to San Jose, Calif.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
This is fantastic for our development.

"You might have to play in the frozen North... but you'll develop in California! :naughty: "

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I checked where that was on google maps and I saw they had a borough called "Oildale"

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I checked where that was on google maps and I saw they had a borough called "Oildale"

Oildale isn't an area you're likely to want to see. That said, Bakersfield is actually a big oil town, with one of the largest oilfields in the US.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

"You might have to play in the frozen North... but you'll develop in California! :naughty: "

At the press conference, they said that they expect the Oilers AHL guys to get 20 to 25 more practices in per year with the new California setup. That's big for development.

As a Condors fan, I've got to say that I am incredibly excited to be able to see AHL hockey...5 teams = lots of road trips too.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
At the press conference, they said that they expect the Oilers AHL guys to get 20 to 25 more practices in per year with the new California setup. That's big for development.

As a Condors fan, I've got to say that I am incredibly excited to be able to see AHL hockey...5 teams = lots of road trips too.

20-25 more practices and also more time in the weight room as well

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
20-25 more practices and also more time in the weight room as well

Yes, for sure. That's a big part of developement for some of the younger guys. Should be easier for scouts to make a swing through California to see multiple NHL and AHL games too.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I really hope the AHL does great in Cali.

Also, I'd like the team to still be called the Condors.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I really hope the AHL does great in Cali.

Also, I'd like the team to still be called the Condors.

Yes, it'd be a shame to drop so many years of work on the Condors brand. I think that the AHL will do well here. The sport is growing and I think that the markets that the chose will be good ones (though San Jose is a bit of a wildcard, so we'll have to see how that goes).

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Non-hockey question: why are the city limits in Bakersfield so gnarly? They have, like, islands of non-Bakersfield within Bakersfield?

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Non-hockey question: why are the city limits in Bakersfield so gnarly? They have, like, islands of non-Bakersfield within Bakersfield?

Lots of annexing and fighting with the county. Bakersfield has grown a lot in recent years. In 10 years, 100,000 more people - which means taking in more territory.

From Wikipedia:

Census Pop. %±

1880 801 —
1890 2,626 227.8%
1900 4,836 84.2%
1910 12,727 163.2%
1920 18,638 46.4%
1930 26,015 39.6%
1940 29,252 12.4%
1950 34,784 18.9%
1960 56,848 63.4%
1970 69,515 22.3%
1980 105,611 51.9%
1990 174,820 65.5%
2000 247,057 41.3%
2010 347,483 40.6%

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I dunno. Have you ever been to Bakersfield?

That place is an armpit.

On the plus side, it will make Edmonton look great to the prospects.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Nothing wrong with Bakersfield, jesus. Are you tools just addicted to whining about something?

This will be fantastic for the development of our guys. Not only that, but the most noteworthy part of that press conference is when Kevin Lowe said the Oilers organization will be emulating the development policies and systems of the Detroit Red Wings. Not sure why no one is talking about that, as it's a big deal. MacT coming out to say "the NHL is not a development league" was not him showing that he doesn't have very good memory of his own actions, it was to announce that he'd been ordered to change his policies.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Nothing wrong with Bakersfield, jesus. Are you tools just addicted to whining about something?

This will be fantastic for the development of our guys. Not only that, but the most noteworthy part of that press conference is when Kevin Lowe said the Oilers organization will be emulating the development policies and systems of the Detroit Red Wings. Not sure why no one is talking about that, as it's a big deal. MacT coming out to say "the NHL is not a development league" was not him showing that he doesn't have very good memory of his own actions, it was to announce that he'd been ordered to change his policies.

Nobody is talking about it because they have said in the past that they are modeling the franchise around the Detroit Red Wings and it ended up with what we've seen for the last few years.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I dunno. Have you ever been to Bakersfield?

That place is an armpit.

On the plus side, it will make Edmonton look great to the prospects.

could be worse man, at least it isnt stockton

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know nothing about Bakersfield, but if it is a dump is that really an issue? Wouldn't it result in the players spending more time on hockey and less time worrying about what they can do with their spare time?

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I know nothing about Bakersfield, but if it is a dump is that really an issue? Wouldn't it result in the players spending more time on hockey and less time worrying about what they can do with their spare time?

I'd rather go to Bakersfield than Oklahoma, and so would you.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Good question. I wonder what town / city those little islands belong to?

Seems random.

jo4k2hm.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad