Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Even something in player development might be a good fit. So many prospects have had good things to say about the way he dealt with them. And not only forwards, Desharnais even talked at length about how much of an impact he had on his career.

Gonna be a big hole to fill for Bakersfield though. Getting those natural leaders that go about things the way he does aren't easy to come by.
Oh, I'm sure there are some on here that are more than glad he's retiring. Apparently, too much "taking ice time away from the younguns."

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This is a good thing less vets next season let the prospects get lots of ice time , I don't care about the standings in the AHL I care about the prospects gaining icetime

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I like how people think giving prospects a pile of minutes means they’ll be better. Even though they can’t handle the minutes they get now
It’s a balancing act for sure. I think they’ve done good making them earn their ice time so far, but when you look ahead to next year guys like Borgault, Tullio and Savoie are entering year 3 in Bakersfield. Time to give them the big minutes and see if they sink or swim.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
After a brief lull during the middle of the season, Broberg has 3G, and 12A in his last 9 AHL games; and that's not including his 2 apples with the Oil to wrap up the season.

He finishes the season with 38 points (5-33) in 49games. 6 points clear of Gleason for the defence lead (in 13 less games), all while being the team's top defensive option.

In short, he knocked all expectations out of the park, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him force his way onto the Oilers playoff roster. The kid's ready.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
After a brief lull during the middle of the season, Broberg has 3G, and 12A in his last 9 AHL games; and that's not including his 2 apples with the Oil to wrap up the season.

He finishes the season with 38 points (5-33) in 49games. 6 points clear of Gleason for the defence lead (in 13 less games), all while being the team's top defensive option.

In short, he knocked all expectations out of the park, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him force his way onto the Oilers playoff roster. The kid's ready.
Unless we can trade him for a clear upgrade on D it's time to move on from Kulak and give him at least 40 games next season to show what he can do. He should compliment Desharnais game if Vinny doesn't leave.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Unless we can trade him for a clear upgrade on D it's time to move on from Kulak and give him at least 40 games next season to show what he can do. He should compliment Desharnais game if Vinny doesn't leave.
Fingers crossed we aren’t then spending assets to replace Kulak. He’s arguably our 3rd best defender. Thats big shoes to fill.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Fingers crossed we aren’t then spending assets to replace Kulak. He’s arguably our 3rd best defender. Thats big shoes to fill.
He plays behind an elite Ekholm and all situational big minute guy in Nurse. Both with big tickets. This is a cap threshold team that needs to squeeze money and quite possibly needs to upgrade in other key areas like top 4RD which doesn't have this benefit of quality veteran depth. Broberg's finally had some sustained quality development and importantly at his natural left side. Well positioned after slow cooking and poor development until recently to step into third pair responsibilities.

The Oil are paying $18,000,000 for their LD and $7,912,500 for RD with Desharnais about to get payed and one season before Bouchard moves into elite pay check territory. Big money coming due at forward too. Easiest to navigate around replacing a third pair d.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hopefully his last game is hoisting the Cup with the Condors these playoffs

Seems like a solid captain down there, I wonder who fills his shoes next season
Have really enjoyed seeing the many tributes for Ryan Malone. Can't understate how critical it is for organizations to have culture drivers to set the standards and expectation for team first success. The biggest jump is junior to pro in which young players who have likely been among the best players all their lives up to that point are forced to reset against mature, steeled competition. Having strong character leaders show the way in this deep end transition but drive everyone to squeeze the sum of their respective ability toward team success.

Congratulations on your retirement Ryan Malone. You value as a leader, teammate, and person is reflected in the many accolades from so many who shared time with you.

EDIT: Haha, never post on an empty head! Mashed up my Bugsy's. Credit to BRAD Malone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Have really enjoyed seeing the many tributes for Ryan Malone. Can't understate how critical it is for organizations to have culture drivers to set the standards and expectation for team first success. The biggest jump is junior to pro in which young players who have likely been among the best players all their lives up to that point are forced to reset against mature, steeled competition. Having strong character leaders show the way in this deep end transition but drive everyone to squeeze the sum of their respective ability toward team success.

Congratulations on your retirement Ryan Malone. You value as a leader, teammate, and person is reflected in the many accolades from so many who shared time with you.
Brad Malone*

He plays behind an elite Ekholm and all situational big minute guy in Nurse. Both with big tickets. This is a cap threshold team that needs to squeeze money and quite possibly needs to upgrade in other key areas like top 4RD which doesn't have this benefit of quality veteran depth. Broberg's finally had some sustained quality development and importantly at his natural left side. Well positioned after slow cooking and poor development until recently to step into third pair responsibilities.

The Oil are paying $18,000,000 for their LD and $7,912,500 for RD with Desharnais about to get payed and one season before Bouchard moves into elite pay check territory. Big money coming due at forward too. Easiest to navigate around replacing a third pair d.
I can agree with that for the most part, but with how Nurse has played this year, Kulak has had to play tougher minutes than normal. If Broberg is replacing him he has to be handle those minutes Kulak has been playing cause I don't think Nurse can handle having them back

Reactions: phrenssoa

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Brad Malone*

I can agree with that for the most part, but with how Nurse has played this year, Kulak has had to play tougher minutes than normal. If Broberg is replacing him he has to be handle those minutes Kulak has been playing cause I don't think Nurse can handle having them back
Thanks for the correction! I completely whiffed on that haha. Such is sometimes the reality of unheralded largely career minor leaguers and the moron that tries to honour them! Got my Bugsy's crossed on that one.

Regarding Broberg, I think the organization's path has been clear for a while. Might change with a new GM's direction and this playoff might reveal different team needs. But the Oil are riding with Ekholm and Nurse for key situational play and minutes. Easiest to find third pair d guys to play straight EV minutes.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad