OT: Bagels and Fox

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Bagel Club in Bayside off the Clearview...

Miss that place ever since I moved away.
I never heard of it but I do understand missing your old places. Back in the old days (1987-88) I worked at a gas station during the graveyard shifts. First thing I did some mornings would hit Bagel Chalet. I would order either the whitefish salad or the egg salad on a onion or everything bagel. They would put so much salad on the bagel that I would order 2 extra bagels. It was enough for me to make 3 separate sandwiches. Money was tight in those days. Some weeks I would get a dozen bagels at Bagel Chalet for around $2 and just live off bagels and butter for the week. Probably not that cheap anymore lol. :D

• Love
Reactions: egelband and Profet

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I never heard of it but I do understand missing your old places. Back in the old days (1987-88) I worked at a gas station during the graveyard shifts. First thing I did some mornings would hit Bagel Chalet. I would order either the whitefish salad or the egg salad on a onion or everything bagel. They would put so much salad on the bagel that I would order 2 extra bagels. It was enough for me to make 3 separate sandwiches. Money was tight in those days. Some weeks I would get a dozen bagels at Bagel Chalet for around $2 and just live off bagels and butter for the week. Probably not that cheap anymore lol. :D
I hear you... back in the 90's I was all about grabbing a bagel on my walk to high school (Bayside H.S. sans Zack Morris).

That said... I think we call agree that once you leave Long Island/NYC the bagels become rolls with a hole in them way too fast.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I hear you... back in the 90's I was all about grabbing a bagel on my walk to high school (Bayside H.S. sans Zack Morris).

That said... I think we call agree that once you leave Long Island/NYC the bagels become rolls with a hole in them way too fast.
May be worth a plane flight back some day. People talk about NYC food but Long Island NY had some really great food back in the day as well. :)

Reactions: egelband and Profet

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
White fish and bagels gives me some serious heartburn separately and together are insane, but that with some thinly sliced tomatoes and pickles is the SHIZ.

I’ve been sick since Friday and have not had a normal meal since then and I’m ready
I need more mayo mixed into whitefash salad than most places sell but yea whitefish salad is awesome

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I need more mayo mixed into whitefash salad than most places sell but yea whitefish salad is awesome
Wow whitefish lovers unite! I know one other person, most are turned off by the smell lol.

Costco sells a 2 lb tub of ACME brand (beep beep) for like 17$, it’s pretty mayoey, I love it. Can’t freeze it though and what with my reflux so no longer buy it

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Wow whitefish lovers unite! I know one other person, most are turned off by the smell lol.

Costco sells a 2 lb tub of ACME brand (beep beep) for like 17$, it’s pretty mayoey, I love it. Can’t freeze it though and what with my reflux so no longer buy it

I live not too far away from Acme.

Wait 'til you try their pastrami salmon.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Is this the one?

Im a food history nerd so I wonder what breeds were used to make this in Europe before the Great Lakes fish were utilized.

"The North-American Lake Whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis aka the Whitefish in Whitefish salad) is not available here and frankly, not everything has to be shipped around the world when there are perfectly fine relatives (still) frolicking in European waters: Renken, Märanen, Felchen are all of the genus Coregonus."

Never heard of those fish species.

Guessing these too.

Reactions: egelband and romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Is this the one?

Im a food history nerd so I wonder what breeds were used to make this in Europe before the Great Lakes fish were utilized.

"The North-American Lake Whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis aka the Whitefish in Whitefish salad) is not available here and frankly, not everything has to be shipped around the world when there are perfectly fine relatives (still) frolicking in European waters: Renken, Märanen, Felchen are all of the genus Coregonus."

Never heard of those fish species.

Guessing these too.

I’ve always wondered what the fish they used was, they never put it on the packaging

Reactions: egelband

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
Fox will be interviewing special guests such as teammate Alexis Lafrenière and social media stars including Boy With No Job and Sisters Snacking.
JFC. This sounds as bad as the Eli Manning interview show on MSG. Just saw an episode where the whitest of white guys tries to “be real” with Fat Joe. Max cringeness..

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The Bagel Club in Bayside off the Clearview...

Miss that place ever since I moved away.

There’s one close to me. They make a very good bagel.
Utopia Bagel is still the best, but it’s too far away.
I wish they would franchise.
Bagel Club was very good, but I was always partial to Bagel Oasis in Fresh Meadows. Back in the 80s & 90s they were open 24 hours. It's still there, but the store was cut in half at some point.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Bagel Club was very good, but I was always partial to Bagel Oasis in Fresh Meadows. Back in the 80s & 90s they were open 24 hours. It's still there, but the store was cut in half at some point.
The one off the LIE by the Kmart (at least it was Kmart)?

I never ate around there, I had a bad experience with mice/rats running around during a movie at that movie theater next to the Future Diner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad