Baertschi again leads Top 20 for much-improved Calgary Flames prospect pool

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Calgary Flames utilized the 2013 NHL Draft to continue building up the new foundation in Calgary by stocking up on talented prospects. General Manager Jay Feaster made eight draft picks and selected a group of four versatile forwards and four solid defensemen. Prior to the draft, Feaster acquired prospects Ken Agostino, Ben Hanowski, and Mark Cundari via trades of veterans. During this period, Feaster also traded a 2013 fourth round pick to the Florida Panthers in exchange for the highly touted forward Corban Knight. The change of direction in Calgary has opened up opportunities for the new prospects in the system to find their way into the Top 20 ranking.… read more

More...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Meh. I don't agree with some of the rankings, but its still nice to read positive reviews of our guys. I don't see how Ferland or Hanowski have a higher potential rating than both Knight and Arnold.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually really like this list. Personally, I think Monahan should be #1 and Granlund should be around 10. Other than that, I feel it is very solid and accurate (cough, Ferland, cough).

TylerSVT*

Sven at 8B is really nice to see.

Dunno about Poirier, Wotherspoon and Seiloff at 7C

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
Based on what really? I am not saying you are wrong, its certainly debatable but its far from clear cut.

Oh no doubt it's close. I just don't see any area that Reinhart excels over Knight. Whereas I think Knight has superior skating, size, shot, and grit to Reinhart.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Oh no doubt it's close. I just don't see any area that Reinhart excels over Knight. Whereas I think Knight has superior skating, size, shot, and grit to Reinhart.

Reinhart is a far superior skater than Knight. From what I've read, foot speed could be an issue with Knight.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Seems a little silly to me that Reinhart is perceived to have the fourth highest upside in this group of prospects..

Based on what I saw last year he has a ways to go, and certainly does not project as a 2C at this point.

I think Poirier, Knight, Klimchuk and Granlund all have higher upsides than Reinhart.

That would be my only quibble on an otherwise good list.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The Flames have always had a good depth of prospects but I can't remember a time when they had so many blue chippers all at the same time. Lets hope some of em pan out.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I really liked the rankings and the overall article. I like the analysis of Knight having good speed. I'm really curious about what he'll bring to the Flames.

If the Flames are out of it quickly and trade further veterans for future assets, we could see some very interesting things out of the Flames prospects. Reinhart, Knight, Baertchi, Ferland, Granlund, Hanowski, Horak, and Nemisz will all likely get NHL time at some point, even if its in the last few games of the season. It could make for some quality push for jobs.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Based on what really? I am not saying you are wrong, its certainly debatable but its far from clear cut.

I see Knight and Reinhart having the same ceiling, Knights closer to reaching it at this point in time. That's why I would rank him above.

TylerSVT*

Im not sold on Klimchuk, he seems like a 3rd liner with maybe a 2nd liner potential, same vein of player as Stempniak.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Klimchuk to me appears to have a very low bust factor, he's extremely smart and possesses very good skills. I think we are lucky to have drafted him where we did.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Klimchuk to me appears to have a very low bust factor, he's extremely smart and possesses very good skills. I think we are lucky to have drafted him where we did.

He's also an outstandingly hard worker, which furthers your point. He was never mentioned as being outstanding at any one thing, though.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He has above average skating, iq, playmaking, shooting, and works hard. Hope he has a couple more inches left in him he could be a lethal top six threat for us. patrick sharp esque?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad