Bad Powerplay and Blown Leads

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It's a summary of what our woes are. But what are the possible fixes? What's do we do? What are the proposed solutions?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Did the wings hold onto leads well last year? I remember plenty of blown leads.

The Wings were much better at shutting down teams last year. They are much better at getting leads in the first place this year. It really comes down to the difference in coaching style between Blashill and Babcock. If we had a competent power play, blowing leads wouldn't be as big of an issue. They need that killer instinct to take advantage of PP opportunities and bury teams.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Did the wings hold onto leads well last year? I remember plenty of blown leads.

I remember way more third period comebacks than blown leads last year. IIRC, Detroit was top 3 in the league in come from behind wins in the third period.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I remember way more third period comebacks than blown leads last year. IIRC, Detroit was top 3 in the league in come from behind wins in the third period.

That's definitely true. It's basically the opposite of this year. Last year they tended to come into the third period down by 1-2 goals. Now they come into the period up by 1-2 goals. Last year they made comebacks often. This year they blow leads often.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
After a cursory glance through their schedule last season, the wings had nine games where they entered the third period with the lead and blew it. I included one playoff game too.

They certainly weren't "good" at holding onto leads last year.

10 games so far this season where they entered the third with the lead and blew it.

Last edited:

Actual Thought*

Their PP flat out sucks and it is simply because of coaching. I would also say their inability to hold a lead is due to coaching as well. I don't think Blashill really understands matchups and he doesn't even try to play a shut down style of game. They gave up a 3rd period lead 11 times in 31 games this year. That is a chronic situation.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't really consider most of these games as "blown leads." When you're only putting up 1 goal, 2 goals through two periods, your offense isn't doing enough to compensate for the weakest part of the team... your defense. The defenseman we have aren't magically turning a corner and becoming players that they're not. We know what we have. And if they think this team is going to win 2-1 games consistently they're nuts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't really consider most of these games as "blown leads." When you're only putting up 1 goal, 2 goals through two periods, your offense isn't doing enough to compensate for the weakest part of the team... your defense. The defenseman we have aren't magically turning a corner and becoming players that they're not. We know what we have. And if they think this team is going to win 2-1 games consistently they're nuts.

Yeah, I lean the same way. If we were blowing two and three goal leads every night, it would be a problem, but blowing one goal leads? Says to me we're not scoring enough. Looking at our GF/GA numbers for the year, it looks like we're not exceptional at either end, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad