Bad Ice in the 21st Century

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The ice for the Columbus/NYR game was disgusting. Why is it so variable?? It totally makes the games way less fun to watch. Can't we just send bad ice the way of the left wing lock. If anybody has anything intelligent to say about this issue, I am all ears. Bad Ice Sucks!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's likely due to a combination of the desire to keep the arena's as warm as possible (so that ice can still be playable) for the fans. Plus the fact that most arenas are multi purpose and having to consistently melt the ice so the floor can be used for other events (concerts, NBA, etc). If they didn't have to do the latter they could do a better job maintaining the ice.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
1. Most arenas have other uses, so although I have no scientific evidence, putting concert stages, basketball courts, etc. over the ice can't be good for keeping the ice at pristine condition

2. In many arenas, the hockey team isn't #1

3. Arenas/businesses care about getting fans in the door ($). If it is too cold, fewer people would attend.

4. Arenas are large, it costs a lot to keep a giant stadium at a cool temperature.

5. Thousands of fans, with a body temperature around 98.6 degrees (F), add warmth to the arena

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
So many other events and basketball. Etc. very few places have really really good ice. Prudential center used to but I haven't been there in years so I don't know how it is now.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Apparently humidity is really bad for ice. Just like when you have a cold glass of water outside on a humid day, condensation forms on the surface of the ice and freezes to create frost. Also, I believe the condensation process transfers heat to the the cooling medium (the ice) which makes things worse.

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I just would have expected better innovation. 40 years later, still the same issues as back in the 70's. Just surprised that there hasn't been noticeable improvement. Maybe I just need to watch more Oiler home games--Are they still known for the best ice?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It really is bad in so many arenas these days. The way tennis ball pucks play into the sort of defensive, "de-skilled", muck it up game that is coached today just makes it even worse.

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
I just would have expected better innovation. 40 years later, still the same issues as back in the 70's. Just surprised that there hasn't been noticeable improvement. Maybe I just need to watch more Oiler home games--Are they still known for the best ice?

The ice at Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton had for a good long stretch earned that moniker. The new Rogers Arena is still figuring things out and at it's best has been average. It's a real shame as it tends to really make it hard for McDavid and others to skate at their best.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
The ice at Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton had for a good long stretch earned that moniker. The new Rogers Arena is still figuring things out and at it's best has been average. It's a real shame as it tends to really make it hard for McDavid and others to skate at their best.

Losing Dan Craig to the NHL also hurt the ice in Edmonton.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It's likely due to a combination of the desire to keep the arena's as warm as possible (so that ice can still be playable) for the fans. Plus the fact that most arenas are multi purpose and having to consistently melt the ice so the floor can be used for other events (concerts, NBA, etc). If they didn't have to do the latter they could do a better job maintaining the ice.

You realize they don't melt the ice for most concerts and events right?

Here's a link how Toronto does it:
http://torontoist.com/2011/04/up_all_night_from_ice_to_courts_at_the_air_canada_centre

PNC arena(hurricanes) also has a good article.

The event changeovers likely don't affect the ice much.

I'd bet the biggest issue is the climate control of the building temperature. I'm sure a degree or 2 will alter the surface ice, thus affecting play quality

Last edited:

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I think barclays has the worst ice in the league. You can see all teams playing there struggling with that pond ice.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You realize they don't melt the ice for most concerts and events right?

Here's a link how Toronto does it:
http://torontoist.com/2011/04/up_all_night_from_ice_to_courts_at_the_air_canada_centre

PNC arena(hurricanes) also has a good article.

The event changeovers likely don't affect the ice much.

I'd bet the biggest issue is the climate control of the building temperature. I'm sure a degree or 2 will alter the surface ice, thus affecting play quality
Correct, although the biggest issue is the amount of water vapor in the air (humidity). When you lower the temperature of the air, it lowers the ability of that air to hold water, so the water has to condense on something.

Not handling humidity right can lead fog, condensation on surfaces, and bad ice...

It's not nearly as easy to control as it seems.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They can' make goalie pads that protect and are not the size of a barn gate. There are limits to modern tech obviously.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad