backyard rinks (jiffy rink?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I can not tell by the picture but if it is the PVC pipes that snap together stay away. You need a very, and I mean very flat yard. I had about a 3" pitch over 50 feet and still had problems where the ice was thin. If you are going to do it do it right and buy some wood and heavy plastic. Set it up so that you can easily break it down and store it. It will cost more, but in the long run you will save and have a much better rink. My 2 cents

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
nope, no pipes. you're suppose to hold the corners down with 8 inches of snow then pour water on it to create a slush. im not understanding how putting these bags side by side will create a level sheet of ice...i guess i should just try it and see how it works.

any idea on paint to use on ice without melting holes in the ice? spray paint work?

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
dylan said:
nope, no pipes. you're suppose to hold the corners down with 8 inches of snow then pour water on it to create a slush. im not understanding how putting these bags side by side will create a level sheet of ice...i guess i should just try it and see how it works.

any idea on paint to use on ice without melting holes in the ice? spray paint work?

Do it like they do in all rinks, spray paint on the plastic then freeze the ice over it

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
yup, i bought 6 of them from canadian tire to form a 20 x 60 rink. i think i might want to go a little wider though. 20ft is kind of narrow. my pool is only 18 x 36...way too small.

if anyone lives in southwest ontario feel free to come out every sunday hopefuly starting on x mas eve. :)

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
yeah the jiffy rinks were horrible. i ended up just buying wood and plastic and its turned out fine. :)

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
anteeksi said:
hope your yard is completely level..never had any success with jiffy rinks.

Indeed, they're a waste of money if your yard isn't completely level. All the water will go to one side of the plastic and the ice won't form properly.

Millions Livio

Nov 3, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I bought one of those plastic liner rinks. It has the form on the ends and you level it with snow.

Says it'lls work on anything that's not on a huge hill, put put snow on the one side to level it. Made sense and my backyard was pretty level. Buy it, set it up, pack snow against it, fill it was water and it was all evened out. Somehow come out the next morning (this was last winter and it was about -3 degrees out) and all the ice is to the right side. The ice was perfect on the right side, but the left has next to no ice on it, was like a little thing sheet that'd break if you walked on it. The rink was rather big and I couldn't build a platform for it due to too much snow, alot of the stores were closed, and it was cold and snowing like hell. Just waited for it to thaw and took it back.

We've got an outdoor rink almost no one uses about five minutes away that's of very good size, so I'll stick with that.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Millions Livio said:
I bought one of those plastic liner rinks. It has the form on the ends and you level it with snow.

Says it'lls work on anything that's not on a huge hill, put put snow on the one side to level it. Made sense and my backyard was pretty level. Buy it, set it up, pack snow against it, fill it was water and it was all evened out. Somehow come out the next morning (this was last winter and it was about -3 degrees out) and all the ice is to the right side. The ice was perfect on the right side, but the left has next to no ice on it, was like a little thing sheet that'd break if you walked on it. The rink was rather big and I couldn't build a platform for it due to too much snow, alot of the stores were closed, and it was cold and snowing like hell. Just waited for it to thaw and took it back.

We've got an outdoor rink almost no one uses about five minutes away that's of very good size, so I'll stick with that.

I think theres some kind of unwritten rule that once you are more than 10 years into adulthood, you shouldn't be on an outdoor rink....unless you can still pass for quite young(In the cold, often no problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad