Backstrom Should be in the Hart Trophy Conversation

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
This season's Hart Trophy race has been one of the most unpredictable in recent years. Players like Brad Marchand and Brent Burns are solidifying themselves as elite by exceeding a point per game thus far. Meanwhile, Alex Ovechkin is having a surprisingly below-average season. However there is another player in Washington who is having a great year, Nicklas Backstrom. Backstrom should be in the Hart Trophy conversation.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/03/16/nicklas-backstrom-hart-trophy-conversation/

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
I love Nicky B and I hope he manages to earn the Art Ross, but he should not be in contention for Hart. As 'Edge said, McDavid pretty much singlehandedly made the Oilers a formidable team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
for some, he's not even the best center on the team. if he wins the the scoring championship in a season where Ovechkin scores 32 goals and Oshie scores 35 and the team the best record in the league, it would be kind of a shame to find that he is not even in the conversation. But I guess ive been reading on this forum with analytics and all that Backstrom isn't even that good.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
for some, he's not even the best center on the team. if he wins the the scoring championship in a season where Ovechkin scores 32 goals and Oshie scores 35 and the team the best record in the league, it would be kind of a shame to find that he is not even in the conversation. But I guess ive been reading on this forum with analytics and all that Backstrom isn't even that good.

Not really.

Nicklas Backstrom has been ridiculously good this season, and continued that with dominant performance against the Lightning. That being said, the reason he's not in the Hart -conversation is because some voters still see Ovechkin as the main guy on the team, and not to mention that you have Braden Holtby there too. I still think he's the best player on the team (for the 2nd year in a row) and has been the biggest reason they stand #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad