Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds II (warning post 604)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peabo

Feb 22, 2014
If he's tinkling 190 of pseudoephedrine and not a comparable level of cetirizine, how do you think that meshes with the assertion that he was taking a pill that contained both ?

They have the trace, and although it might currently be qualitative, that trace ( in my mind) could conceivably address the assertions/conclusion of the Finnish ADA rep, no ?

If the concurrent peak is there is gives some credence to he only ingested whole pills, but it wont speak to a) how many and b) mode of ingestion. This would at least be supportive of the " i made a mistake in dosing" claim and excludes the " I topped up my pseudoephedrine with a couple of Zyrtec's"

It wouldn't exclude that he topped up his pseudoephedrine with a couple of Zyrtecs though. You can't just eyeball peaks, different compounds have them diff responses depending on column used in the chromatography. You have to calibrate for cetirizine, what may look like a small peak could be big and vice versa. So if you want to quantify it you gotta calibrate for it. This would definitely clear up the matter but that means someone gotta pay for it, it not like it cost that much actually, if Backstrom wanted to he could.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
[mod] Zyrtek is an allergy pill. I use it regularly. Its performance enhancing effects are miniscule. Sweden lost one of its best players. I believe this tarnishes Team Canada's victory. Not that I don't think they would not have won anyway, but Team Sweden was denied a solid chance to compete.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
[mod] Zyrtek is an allergy pill. I use it regularly. Its performance enhancing effects are miniscule. Sweden lost one of its best players. I believe this tarnishes Team Canada's victory. Not that I don't think they would not have won anyway, but Team Sweden was denied a solid chance to compete.

try to keep up. WADA doesnt care about benefit, you could still be caught doping by having excessive amounts of substances that are known to INHIBIT your performance.

You can believe whatever you like but Team Canada didnt inject him with Zyrtec and if you want to hold something that Team canada had ZERO influence over, be my guest.

If you are over, you are over. How hard is that for some people to comprehend ? The WADA doesnt care about intent either.

Last edited by a moderator:

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
I think you are all crazy. Zyrtek is an allergy pill. I use it regularly. Its performance enhancing effects are miniscule. Sweden lost one of its best players. I believe this tarnishes Team Canada's victory. Not that I don't think they would not have won anyway, but Team Sweden was denied a solid chance to compete.

If pseudoephedrine is so common as everyone say, then why are they using it? In this case I don't think he took Zyrtec D, I think he took something similar to Sudafed

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think you are all crazy. Zyrtek is an allergy pill. I use it regularly. Its performance enhancing effects are miniscule. Sweden lost one of its best players. I believe this tarnishes Team Canada's victory. Not that I don't think they would not have won anyway, but Team Sweden was denied a solid chance to compete.

The effects of pseudoephedrine are greater at higher doses. Backstrom had a high dose. Whether he reached the levels he did through allegory medication or pure pseudoephedrine is up for debate but still irrelevant.

TR99

Feb 20, 2014

Expect it's unlikely his high test levels are the result of taking just Zyrtek. Like do all the players even get tested after the game? Maybe he thought he could get away with taking the real stuff.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
A question to experts:

If Backström would've played in the game and he would've scored/assisted, how the final result would've been? Immediate 5-0 loss? Or would've they just removed the goals he did or assisted? This is puzzling me a bit now.

Peabo

Feb 22, 2014
So.. you have to eat 5-8 times the amount recommended to go from 150 (170?) to 190? That doesn't really seem logical to me.
The recommended dose won't get you to 150. They just set the threshold at 150 to allow for the "oops, I told a few extra".

Totally different story. Visnovsky's story is much better:

“I feel terrible about this,†Visnovsky said. “I took Advil cold medication. I spoke before the Olympics with (Oilers) Dr. (Dhiren) Naidu and he told me that I’d be clear as long as I didn’t take five or six of them and I took three of them. But my levels (pseudoephedrine) were higher than normal. I was really surprised.

“Before the test, I filled out the form and said that I had taken the Advil cold and some vitamins, so it was a big surprise for me that I failed. I feel bad, because my name is now on a black list.â€

Backstrom was caught in a lie. It's not possible to have 190 mcg/ml pseudoephedrine in your blood if you take one Zyrtec-D tablet. His 1 Zyrtec-D story is BS
Yeah Visnovsky story is alot more consistent with the calculations for 3 or 4 pills. Backstrom could be innocent as far as only taking zyrtec-d but his goof-up is saying he only took one pill.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A question to experts:

If Backström would've played in the game and he would've scored/assisted, how the final result would've been? Immediate 5-0 loss? Or would've they just removed the goals he did or assisted? This is puzzling me a bit now.

Scary bit of whatiffery because he did play in the Finland game after giving a positive sample and did assist a goal in it. I would guess there are no effect as not at least two players were tested positive which is the requirement for disqualition. Someone correct if I'm off.

aLus

Jun 27, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
A question to experts:

The final result would've been whatever the score was in that hypotethical game. Probably 3-1 Canada.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think we're done here. I'm sure we'll hear more about this shortly. In the meantime, the conversation has become speculative, and the discussion of fan bases / posters, and OT discussions continue even after multiple warnings.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad