WWE: Backstage update on Shane McMahon's WWE status

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Shane's return, this time around was reportedly agreed upon a few weeks ago and although he is playing for power on screen he does not hold a managerial position with the company at this stage, but that could always change.

In a twist of storyline meeting reality, Shane legitimately felt he would be the 4th generation McMahon to run the WWF/E but his Sister Stephanie had surpassed at the time due to her "product knowledge," something which a lot of people knew at the time but Shane. Vince had to inform his son at the time that Stephanie and Triple H would be running the company, which ultimately lead to a real-life family rift and Shane leaving his CEO position in 2010. There is said to be a "significant amount of life imitating art" in what Shane said during his promo. Apparently there's is also a belief that a real-life power struggle will occur if Shane's fully back in the picture backstage.

Melzter also noted that while Shane might be well received on screen with fans hoping he takes "control" of WWE, in real life people wouldn't be as receptive to Shane if they knew about his booking ideas, this is why Vince went with Stephanie running the company and not him. He claims that "almost everybody that I know personally liked Shane over Stephanie but, when it came to ideas when it came to wrestling, when it came to wrestling angles, it was Stephanie and Paul (Triple H) are so far ahead of him that it's not even funny

Source: Wrestling Observer Live, Dave Meltzer

The way Meltzer worded that really does make me believe Shane McMahon will win at Wrestlemania and get control of Monday Night Raw. There's gotta be something screwy happening, though, because there's no way he's beating Undertaker without outside help.

As far as creative, I can't speak about Shane, but we know Triple H is so far ahead of everyone else in the family creatively that it's not even close.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Interesting take..

And I'm down with him winning as long as he actually goes all out.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
mean-street-posse-shane-mcmahon.jpg

Undertaker can't stop them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Could Shane's booking ideas really be any worse than what has been seen on Raw for the longest while? I also like how they lump Stephanie with Triple H's booking ideas. Trips definitely has a good idea on booking but Stephanie hasn't really shown anything in that regard. Can't really point to 'product knowledge' when a basic principle of wrestling is completely overlooked when it comes to her being a heel.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Could Shane's booking ideas really be any worse than what has been seen on Raw for the longest while? I also like how they lump Stephanie with Triple H's booking ideas. Trips definitely has a good idea on booking but Stephanie hasn't really shown anything in that regard. Can't really point to 'product knowledge' when a basic principle of wrestling is completely overlooked when it comes to her being a heel.

Yes, they could. I like Shane a lot as a character on screen, he's a Boston University grad (always a plus)....but back in the day he favored a Russo-style show. And we know how that goes.

Stephanie might do some things well, but she's not a booker. It's this insistence on having 28 "writers" instead of having a booker who will plan things out and see them through. Right now it's just an unconnected series of events most of the time....like when Reigns won the title in December. What was that?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes, they could. I like Shane a lot as a character on screen, he's a Boston University grad (always a plus)....but back in the day he favored a Russo-style show. And we know how that goes.

Stephanie might do some things well, but she's not a booker. It's this insistence on having 28 "writers" instead of having a booker who will plan things out and see them through. Right now it's just an unconnected series of events most of the time....like when Reigns won the title in December. What was that?

Well, some Russo-style booking would be a good thing for this show to some extent. The product needs more unpredictability and swerves. Plus, it's hard to say that Shane's style hasn't evolved over the years. Triple H is still the most qualified just based on how NXT is run but I think they may be exaggerating Shane's faults here. It would be hard not to have SOME of Vince's penchant to rein in Russo's ridiculousness.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

She used to be in the creative process. Arguably the worst quality of WWE programming in the past 15 years came when Stephanie was VP of Creative.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
What about a team of Shane and HHH running things? I'm sure Shane has some good ideas and HHH has good ideas we know, but not everything from everyone is gold.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
They really should have just let Undertaker appear at #30 during the Rumble, beat Reigns and set up the rematch.

Then they could somehow position Shane into this against Triple H. Either way, I have zero interest.

There will clearly be a bait and switch here with a take your guess. Cena, Sting, Curtis Axel etc..

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They really should have just let Undertaker appear at #30 during the Rumble, beat Reigns and set up the rematch.

Then they could somehow position Shane into this against Triple H. Either way, I have zero interest.

There will clearly be a bait and switch here with a take your guess. Cena, Sting, Curtis Axel etc..

Pete Gas.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Probably dreaming, but I'd like to see a sort of old guard / new blood type run in scenario where the "Vince guys" (we all know the types) try run in to stop Shane winning and then the new blood guys, the "held down" Ziggler type guys or NXT type guys come to his rescue. Ushering in the new "Shane era" where those guys continue to get more attention.

Obviously the NXT guys are in theory HHH's guys, but that doesn't need to matter story wise.

The problem with that of course is Undertaker is caught up in the middle of it and his character wouldn't want Vince's henchmen to help him to begin with. Maybe Vince comes out and puts a stip on Taker that if he loses the match then he's gone, or Kane is gone.

Then maybe Taker just lays down and sacrifices himself for a brighter WWE future. There's some overbooking for you :laugh:

It's also easy to see a scenario where they have something like these guys all run in to stop Shane, turn on Taker and he suffers some mass beat down and it was some grand McMahon plan to take Taker out.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah, Shane at least got some form of comeuppance every once in a while.

With Steph, outside of that one time she got arrested, it's just endless slaps, insults, and bullying with no payback whatsoever. She had carte-blanche to walk all over the entire lockerroom.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

With Steph, outside of that one time she got arrested, it's just endless slaps, insults, and bullying with no payback whatsoever. She had carte-blanche to walk all over the entire lockerroom.

It's why we need this despite some on other boards *****ing we are getting another Family feud.

The story as a whole needs someone to shut Steph down and we need a face authority figure. It saves us from those dumb kayfabe breaks where HHH or Steph pretend to be faces for a week and it allows you to do other things.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The only time one would've thought there may have been some comeuppance given was when Brie wrestled Steph at Summerslam but nope...turning Nikki for a pointless charade was their way to go. Brie may have been a poor wrestler and awful performer but it got to the point where I would've taken Brie getting the revenge.

Anytime the subject of Stephanie comes up, I'm still reminded of the DB handcuff segment where Bryan yells at Stephanie that she hits like a girl. Hilarious.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
Goodnight HULKAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

Oct 18, 2011
i've also heard shane has come up with alot of good ideas and concepts especially as it pertains to presenting the product

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
As bruins309 has said in other threads, there is clearly a civil war going on within the company so I'm curious to see how Shane's presence affects this. But really, we all know Hunter and Shane should be running things over Vince and Steph.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As bruins309 has said in other threads, there is clearly a civil war going on within the company so I'm curious to see how Shane's presence affects this. But really, we all know Hunter and Shane should be running things over Vince and Steph.

As of now Shane isn't coming in to actually run anything or take any kind of real management role.

Curious which side of the backstage civil war decided to go this route and bring Shane in to do it. Vince or HHH? It was only decided a few weeks ago according to Big Dave.

And they clearly planned on this having implications well past Mania. This doesn't appear to be a one off just to give Taker a match.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As of now Shane isn't coming in to actually run anything or take any kind of real management role.

Curious which side of the backstage civil war decided to go this route and bring Shane in to do it. Vince or HHH? It was only decided a few weeks ago according to Big Dave.

And they clearly planned on this having implications well past Mania. This doesn't appear to be a one off just to give Taker a match.

I'll be happy with him just playing a regular on-screen character. His mere presence and single segment has given me hope of a possibility of Stephanie and Trips being off TV for a while. lol

Let Trips focus on NXT or if they really want to go full-on with this story, have Trips with NXT take over Smackdown. Using different rosters for that will expose everyone less and keep the standard feuding between certain individuals away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad