Value of: Backlund

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
What would your team give to get Backlund? He is one of the best two way centers in the league and a consistent 20g 40-50p player, but with Lindholm, Monahan in the top 6 and Ryan showing he is a solid 3c i think he could be a trade chip worth exploring.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Value would be there. Probably a hockey trade involving another player winger or dman with term and a decent cap hit.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One of those players that if Calgary moved him, we'd miss him so badly.
Guy's the king of under-appreciation, who just does all the little things perfectly. Also, having a guy who can be your 2 or 3 centre or a top 6 winger is never a bad thing.

Reactions: Nanuuk

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
He’s not the problem. The Flames need to retool. Not trade the players who consistently bring the most. The whole team hasn’t been bringing their consistent game this year. Backlund is having an off year too but he does all the little things that Gaudreau and Monohan don’t.

Last edited:

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Flames are in a tough spot. They had a mediocre team, went through a rebuild, and through the rebuild ended up with a mediocre team.

I don't think the flames could trade Backlund because they've decided now is the time to try to win a cup, and he brings a lot to the table that others on the team don't, they'll probably try to tweak the roster without moving him.

However, if the flames decided this team isn't good enough and they need to tear it down more, then he would probably be one of the first pieces to go. I personally see his value as a late first+something small.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
One of the best two way centers in the league? He's been the fourth best center on his own team this year...

But he wants to stay in Calgary so they wouldn't move him.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
One of the best two way centers in the league? He's been the fourth best center on his own team this year...

This is inaccurate. Backlund has been the team's second-best centre. Ryan has been more impressive in his role but he has not proven he can handle Backlund's minutes and opposition with the same degree of success.

I also assume you are counting Lindholm, but he has spent the majority of the season at RW.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Idk. He really had a rough stretch on the wing, but he has been better as the #2C as of late.

His play (up until the last few weeks) for a while was really stretching into negative value. Wasn't producing with Gaudreau-Monahan and was among the bottom of the team analytically. We'll see.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
This is inaccurate. Backlund has been the team's second-best centre. Ryan has been more impressive in his role but he has not proven he can handle Backlund's minutes and opposition with the same degree of success.

I also assume you are counting Lindholm, but he has spent the majority of the season at RW.
Monahan is better because he can score although he is having a rough year. Lindholm is miles better than Backlund. Derek Ryan is better than Backlund this year.

Backlund the last few years was for sure a decent #2 to 3 center but this year he's a pretty average #3.

I don't hate the guy, I just wouldnt call him one of the best two way centers in the league.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Monahan has only 9 more points than Backlund. This is while getting #1PP time and being bad defensively. Backlind had a horrible start but there's a decent arguement that on the whole hes been better than Monahan.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
At 30 years old his contract is both a positive and a negative. Its also tough to figure out which role he would play on his new team, which I would assume would vary quite a bit. Then add on top of all of that what CGY would even be looking for themselves.

I think the hardest part about evaluating this is that so much is up in the air we would probably need to nail down a few of these variables before we really started any useful speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad