Backlund & Smid activated from IR / Granlund & Potter re-assigned to ADK

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Really liked what I saw from Granlund. He was a pretty good fill-in until Backlund came back. Hopefully he can work on his FO's a bit, if not, he'll still be a good winger.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good stint by Granlund. Really made a good impression, and he's still got lots of time to develop. I'm shocked that Potter is going down. I feel like he didn't do anything wrong. :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good stint by Granlund. Really made a good impression, and he's still got lots of time to develop. I'm shocked that Potter is going down. I feel like he didn't do anything wrong. :sarcasm:
the sorting hat made the decision?

and yes, I ended up watching Harry Potter after the confusion of me not getting anything before :laugh:

Aug 3, 2010
Backlund so healthy he can replace a centre AND a defenceman. :sarcasm:...?

Anyways, great to see him back in the lineup. Hope he provides a boost and gets the team rolling in the positives again.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Honestly kinda forgot about Backlund altogether but good to have him back! Hope he's really ready and 100% healhy this time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
#FreeGranny

Glad Backlund is back. Potter must have sucked something fierce in practice to never even dress for one game.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Honestly kinda forgot about Backlund altogether but good to have him back! Hope he's really ready and 100% healhy this time.

1375029219394.gif

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Hopefully it helps Granlund and he has a chance to work on his faceoffs. Might even help Reinhart and Ferland as they both had great chemistry last year with Granny.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I'm of the belief that they should have re-signed Backlund earlier on the season when it was cheaper. I think everyone is aware of how he is, and going to be...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I personally don't think Backlund's last 3 games have much if any affect on the dollar amount of his contract. Jay Feaster is no longer our GM, someone like Burke has been doing this for a long time. As impressive as Backlund has looked since coming back from injury, in the grand scheme of things he has accomplished zilch this season. I'd like to see him play this way for extended stretch. Some of you may not remember this and it is an extreme example, but there was a time that Roman Turek was signed long term during a hot stretch, and even he came to regret signing that deal.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I personally don't think Backlund's last 3 games have much if any affect on the dollar amount of his contract. Jay Feaster is no longer our GM, someone like Burke has been doing this for a long time. As impressive as Backlund has looked since coming back from injury, in the grand scheme of things he has accomplished zilch this season. I'd like to see him play this way for extended stretch. Some of you may not remember this and it is an extreme example, but there was a time that Roman Turek was signed long term during a hot stretch, and even he came to regret signing that deal.

How about now? Granted I've always been a believer in the underlying stats for Backlund and thought it was only a matter of time the offense comes.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
You can't sign a guy on how he has played over five games, never mind three. I don't know why the question is even coming up again. I love Backs and want him re-signed as much as the next Flames fan, but he's got another 37 games to go this season. Burliving isn't going to sign a player based on a hot streak; look at when they signed Hartley, they signed him in the middle of a losing skid.

I was going to mention Roman Turek as a bad example of signing a player during a hot streak, but I see Hoxville did that already.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How about now? Granted I've always been a believer in the underlying stats for Backlund and thought it was only a matter of time the offense comes.

He's looked really good, I'm sure the Flames are very high and happy with him. I still don't think there should be an underlying urgency to get him locked up. To me, a 30-40 sample size would be a much indicator of what a player is, so I'd wait. In that time a player will likely have up and down stretches so you look at average to determine what you have. 5 games or whatever is to small IMO.

If you're worried about the cap hit, don't be. It's entirely possible if vets are moved out, signing Backs to a healthy deal would be beneficial for everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad