Back Yard Ice Rinks

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
finally finished flooding the rink.

this weekend isnt gonna get above 25, so should be able to skate by monday.

I kinda rushed the boards together for this rink, and part of the side walls were being pushed back this morning and water was actually coming out over the top in that area. I had to put 3 huge tree logs along that area to get the boards back upright, and keep the water in.

This spring we already decided we are putting up a 40x 60 permanant boards made of plywood. 2' high all the way around. We are going to use it as a garden in the off season. Then we can just lay the liner in it come the skating season.

I think for the top of the plywood I am going to but a **** ton of those pool noodles and cut them in half and place them along the top of the plywood all the way around the rink.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Tremendous fun. A ton of work. My Dad built one for us when I was a kid in Montreal for a few years in a row. That meant a lot of work tamping down a base of packed snow for him, a lot of subsequent frigid nights for him out with the garden hose the rest of the winter, and a lot of shoveling for everyone, but it was incredible. We helped out when we could, from time to time, but in retrospect it fell heavily on his shoulders. Has to be a labor of love.

Jolli

Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!
Nov 15, 2010
Helsinki
This winter is so ****ed up. This pic sums up my last few months:

QX5lQ.jpg

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
This is my 3rd year with a liner style rink and it works great.

I found 41 Nice Rink brackets on kijiji and built a 32' X 56' rink. The first year I bought a white tarp liner for just under $200. You only get 1 season out of that kind of liner. Last year I bought a $450 NiceRink liner and it's lasted 2 seasons. I'm not sure that I'll get a 3rd season out of it. Storing the liner during the off-season is a real PITA. Shovels, skates, pucks, and even mice can really take its toll on a liner.

If you go the liner route, expect to buy a new one every season. Think of it as buying a season's pass to your own backyard rink. A lot less frustration that way.

I have a fairly uneven spot where I put the rink. It looks flat, but the water is actually about 16" deep on one end and about 4-6" deep at the shallow end. It has been completely frozen solid since Dec. 23. The ice is in excellent shape and has been since then. There have only been a couple of warm days where we didn't skate because there was a thin layer of water from the warm temps. But that layer froze as soon as the temp dropped and basically made a nice surface.

I have used a rink-rake in the past, but this year I just used a garden hose nozzle set on a fine misting spray. It works way better! I just start in one corner and by the time I've walked to the other side of the rink, the spot where I started is frozen. It only takes about 30 minutes or so to resurface like this and the results are awesome. I have friends that have had great success with the plastic garbage can full of water dump and flood style as well. I prefer my way.

We have 3 kids and they are on the ice whenever they can be. They're all in hockey programs and the rink gives them a place to practice the stuff that they really need to learn, like stickhandling, deking, and just plain goofing off!

I'll try to answer anybody's questions as well. It takes a while to truly figure out your backyard rink. The first year I spent WAY too much time on it. This year, it almost takes care of itself. Cheers!

Found a pic.
backyardrink.jpg

Last edited:

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I do dump and flood just to build it up. Once there's a surface i spray with hot water to make it smooth.

No such luck this year though. it's barely even been below 0.

edit: yeah i use a giant tarp, i just buy a new one every year

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
heres a quick question for you experts.
my rink is frozen, but it rained here yesterday so the ice is like a frozen bumpy ice from the rain and sleet.

What the next thing to do before it gets really cold this weekend?

Do i spray it down with hot water? or do i flood it a little more tonite??

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
heres a quick question for you experts.
my rink is frozen, but it rained here yesterday so the ice is like a frozen bumpy ice from the rain and sleet.

What the next thing to do before it gets really cold this weekend?

Do i spray it down with hot water? or do i flood it a little more tonite??

You will probably have to spray it with hot water several times to get it back to a skatable smoothness. Even if it's pretty rough that first skate, just the act of skating on it will help with evening it out - at least it always has for us.

I'd recommend against flooding it again, as in my experience, this often results in air pockets and shaling of the top layer. Several very thin layers of hot water shouldn't cause that problem for you. Time between the layers will depend on how cold it is, and how quickly the layer you just put down will be completely frozen.

I hoping that this weekend's cold weather will be enough for mine to refreeze to the point where at least my kids can get out on it. This winter has been as awful as last winter was great for my rink...

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It's always been a Canadiana dream of mine to put a backyard rink. Unfortunately, I don't have the biggest backyard. I'm thinking I can put in a 30' x 15' rink, possibly 35-40' x 20' if I figure out the proper positioning (I have an awkward shaped lot).

Has anyone put in a smaller rink? Is it worth it? I suppose even if it was 15' x 7' it's all good as you and your kids get to enjoy it.

Mine's only 26' x 36', and even then, one corner's cut off because of a tree. But even at that size, my kids can get out on it and practice shooting, stickhandling, or just playing around. It's big enough for that, which is all that matters to me.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
You will probably have to spray it with hot water several times to get it back to a skatable smoothness. Even if it's pretty rough that first skate, just the act of skating on it will help with evening it out - at least it always has for us.

I'd recommend against flooding it again, as in my experience, this often results in air pockets and shaling of the top layer. Several very thin layers of hot water shouldn't cause that problem for you. Time between the layers will depend on how cold it is, and how quickly the layer you just put down will be completely frozen.

I hoping that this weekend's cold weather will be enough for mine to refreeze to the point where at least my kids can get out on it. This winter has been as awful as last winter was great for my rink...

thanks for the advice.
i cant believe my luck. It doesnt snow all year, then the day after i get the rink flooded, we get 5 inches of snow and then freezing drizzle and sleet.

Now its not gonna get above 25 degrees until wednesday. I checked my rink this am and its a disaster. There is about 3 inch thick jagged ice. if somebody fell on that they would bleed out.
Even though you said you were against flooding it, I am tempted just to flood the whole rink with another inch or 2 of water from the hose today. Seeing how tomorrow isnt supposed to get above 15 degrees.

I dont think any rink rake or hot water is gonna fix this mess.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
thanks for the advice.
i cant believe my luck. It doesnt snow all year, then the day after i get the rink flooded, we get 5 inches of snow and then freezing drizzle and sleet.

Now its not gonna get above 25 degrees until wednesday. I checked my rink this am and its a disaster. There is about 3 inch thick jagged ice. if somebody fell on that they would bleed out.
Even though you said you were against flooding it, I am tempted just to flood the whole rink with another inch or 2 of water from the hose today. Seeing how tomorrow isnt supposed to get above 15 degrees.

I dont think any rink rake or hot water is gonna fix this mess.

Yup. Flood it. If you get shale ice, just break it with your boot, shovel, etc and flood it again. Keep at it.

tomcho

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago
I haven't updated in a while for those who read my earlier posts you recall the shipping/delivery nightmare of the IcenGo brackets. I never did get everything(no liner repair kit, instructions, rink lines) I filed a dispute with paypay and was refunded 1/3 of the total cost. Not bad considering, the missing items were probably only 1/20 of the cost.

So I finally flooded my rink on New Years eve, with the forecast looking good. The rink looked great when we went to bed at 3am. When I woke up the next day and looked out the window, the rink was empty. The final nail in the icengo coffin, 4 brackets blew out. Everything about this company and their product is horrendous. I recommend everyone to not buy their junk and tell anyone who know who might want to buy it.

Blown out side boards

408545_2973794233544_1522460986_32994155_350900840_n.jpg

I was ready to give up when I did a quick craigslist search for Nicerink brackets. I found 36 for sale in Milwaukee. It was a great deal and size I got some money refunded I decided to give it one more shot. Drove up there January 2nd and rebuilt slowly over time.

Nicerink boards up

381204_3000303936270_1522460986_33012249_1890942851_n.jpg

I begin to flood last Thursday before we got a lot of snow. The timing worked out well since I had open water.

383178_3058634474497_1522460986_33035620_991365318_n.jpg

After a quick resurface last night, I had great ice. If the weather cooperates I should be skating Thursday.

408015_3080908911344_1522460986_33045699_1612345386_n.jpg

If anyone is thinking about building a rink and wants to go the commercial route, without a doubt buy Nicerink brackets, liner, and accessories. The product, support, and facebook have been great.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yup. Flood it. If you get shale ice, just break it with your boot, shovel, etc and flood it again. Keep at it.

im glad i did bro.
ice was good yesterday. It was a high of about 10 degrees F.
Flooded it again after skating and today it was almost perfect.

Skated again just an hour ago, and cleaned the ice with my rink rake. I hooked it up to my washing machine hot water line, and i cant believe how good the ice looks compared to 2 days ago.

Bad news is i think we are getting freezing rain/snow overnite tonite.

FrankReynolds19

Dec 19, 2011
I havent built a rink for years then this year my buddy was coming home from BC for the winter so we decided to build one. Last year in Windsor Ontario we had a really cold winter so i thought this one would be somewhat similar.

So far i have skated for all of 10 min due to it being way to warm. We just got some snow on friday and it has pretty much already all melted. We have had more rain then i can ever remember. It will get real cold for one or two days in a row which is nice and freezes the rink pretty good, Then for the next 5 days we dont even hit 0 at night. This weather is driving me nuts.

On the good side however i havent had to use the hose once this year to fill it up .... I just let the rain do that for me :facepalm:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
im glad i did bro.
ice was good yesterday. It was a high of about 10 degrees F.
Flooded it again after skating and today it was almost perfect.

Skated again just an hour ago, and cleaned the ice with my rink rake. I hooked it up to my washing machine hot water line, and i cant believe how good the ice looks compared to 2 days ago.

Bad news is i think we are getting freezing rain/snow overnite tonite.

I'm glad you got your rink fixed up. (And that by not listening to me you got to skate on it that much sooner) :)

I hate those snow to rain storms - they wreak havoc on rinks. We finally got to skate on my rink this weekend, then last night got snow, with rain coming this afternoon. I just hope my son gets home from school in time to shovel what he can. My rink's not frozen solid yet, so in the deep end, the weight of the snow squeezed some water out from underneath, so there's a section that may be rough as you know what after the next sub-freezing night. Guess that's what the hot water is for.

I'm curious if you hooked up a Y-fitting to your washing machine hot water spigot. I did that, and it's great not to have to disconnect then reconnect the machine's hose every time I need to resurface the rink.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I'm glad you got your rink fixed up. (And that by not listening to me you got to skate on it that much sooner) :)

I hate those snow to rain storms - they wreak havoc on rinks. We finally got to skate on my rink this weekend, then last night got snow, with rain coming this afternoon. I just hope my son gets home from school in time to shovel what he can. My rink's not frozen solid yet, so in the deep end, the weight of the snow squeezed some water out from underneath, so there's a section that may be rough as you know what after the next sub-freezing night. Guess that's what the hot water is for.

I'm curious if you hooked up a Y-fitting to your washing machine hot water spigot. I did that, and it's great not to have to disconnect then reconnect the machine's hose every time I need to resurface the rink.

i hear ya man. I was up at 5am this morning just so i could get the 2 inches of snow shoveled off the rink before i went to work and the rain hit.
Im glad i got it done becuase its pouring out now.

I honestly didnt even think of hooking up a y-fitting to the washing machine spigot. I have one somewhere in the basement too. so I'll probably hook that up. thanks for reminding me.

CanadienKid25

Mar 28, 2010
Back in the day I thought about building a a fair size rink and my uncle ( a volunteer firefighter) suggested using a firetruck to create the base. The local fire department would empty their 2 trucks every couple of weeks because (as far as I know) the tanks would rust if the water was not changed. So basically they had to dump the tanks somewhere and would usually just go down to the wharf and let er go.

So it may save some time and effort if you know anyone in the local fire deptartment who could possible help with the local rink. Just a suggestion.

Jolli

Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!
Nov 15, 2010
Helsinki
Back in the day I thought about building a a fair size rink and my uncle ( a volunteer firefighter) suggested using a firetruck to create the base. The local fire department would empty their 2 trucks every couple of weeks because (as far as I know) the tanks would rust if the water was not changed. So basically they had to dump the tanks somewhere and would usually just go down to the wharf and let er go.

So it may save some time and effort if you know anyone in the local fire deptartment who could possible help with the local rink. Just a suggestion.

Yup, we've been doing this for over 20 years. Usually we just use the truck to get a solid base.

OT: As far as I know (I'm a volunteer firefighter....) it doesn't have anything to do with rusting. I think we empty our truck once a year for maintenance.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
This winter is so ****ed up. This pic sums up my last few months:

QX5lQ.jpg

Same here in western NY (near Buffalo). Temperature here has mostly been 28-50 and the temperature changes keep bringing strong wind blowing sticks into the rink lol.

Rink should be skateable in the next few days though.

Rink is 30x45

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
ice was pretty good last nite.
made a net with some 2x3's and chicken wire, and we played for like 4 hours.
i want a bigger rink next year though. this one i have this year is 28x45. next year might make it 50x80.

never realized how hot those contruction lights get. I had them a the corner of each end of the rink, and all four corners had melting ice.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
just started my experiment with making ice....went the snow pack route and had clear poly from work that i attached....its only like 12' X 10' as i dont want to skate on it just maybe stickhandle and teach my 4 yr. old to skate...its crazy how much work it is and how much maint. it needs, but if i can get it good its worth it even if i cant skate on it...if all goes well, i just might start to build it bigger and bigger each year

Silentscooter

Dec 14, 2010
This dam weather this year is killing everyone in the Hamilton / Toronto area for backyard rinks. Last year my kids were skating before Christmas, this years bites. However,the recent cold weather allowed me to flood tonight for the first time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad