Back Yard Ice Rinks

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Bumps? What kind of bumps. small little bumps or big hump type LUMPS.

For small bumps I would use one of these, it comes with a sharpened edge made for scraping up floor tiles. About $30 each in just about any hardware store worth anything. I would then sweep the ice chips up with a push broom.

13667d1253725002-removing-thinset-before-putting-down-underlayment-laminate-floor-floor-bully.jpg

One of the most important things to do to a home rink is to CLEAN IT AFTER EVERY USE with a shovel scraper and then a push broom before reflooding.

I swear if you do that you will always have a mirror surface if you do not have a home zamboni type thingie.

I second HF68:The ice scraper is a great idea. Works wonders on just about everything except when the kids shovel slushy snow off of parts of the rink, but not all of it! :laugh:

This year, I got a new pushbroom, with a squeegee on the flipside. I discovered that suing the squeegee side is about five times faster, and just about as effective as sweeping. You don't get the snow/scrapings falling outof the broom every time you set it down in a new place.

I also last year made a home-made resurfacer out of PVC. I made a tee about three feet wide, with a handle about 4 1/2 feet. On the tee, I drilled holes about every inch or so, and on the "stem", I added a connector so I could screw my hose right to it. I also tied on a towel with zip ties, to evenly spread the water as i drag it behind me. Connect the hose to the laundry hot water with a Y-connector, and it works like a champ. There's a commercial version - Rinkrake, I think - that's about 80-100 bucks. Mine was less than 10!

And this year has been great so far for skating. Friday's going to get up to about 45F or so - I hope it doesn't take too long to recover.

And btw, I have just a small, 24 x 28 rink. I have pretty level yard and just use pressure treated 2x12's as the frame and use a liner I get through my local ice rink. I butt the frame boards together and plate join them with a 1 foot length of PT 2x12, screwing through the plate into each longer board.

Dang, now I want to cut out from work and go skate!

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
Wow, I've been scanning the backyard rink threads and you guys are doing incredible work.

Question: Has anyone here built a rink with artificial ice or skated on it a lot?

My area of Japan doesn't get cold enough for a proper ice rink, but I'd consider building one with artificial ice (EZ Glide 350, etc.) if that's the best I can do. Thing is, I've never actually skated on artificial ice, and I'd hate to make a huge investment if it completely sucks. Given my situation, do you think it's a worthwhile substitute?

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thanks!

bruinsfan08

Jan 13, 2008
What is the best/easiest way to start building a rink? How does one determine the slope of the area where the rink will be? Should the boards be put into the ground? That may be tough since the ground is frozen now. We are currently getting freezing temperatures here in Alberta with snow so I figured I should start on my rink. Since this is my 1st year building and I'm a complete rookie at this, I had a few questions.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What is the best/easiest way to start building a rink? How does one determine the slope of the area where the rink will be? Should the boards be put into the ground? That may be tough since the ground is frozen now. We are currently getting freezing temperatures here in Alberta with snow so I figured I should start on my rink. Since this is my 1st year building and I'm a complete rookie at this, I had a few questions.

Use a level. String levels work well, or a long straight board with a level on top. Don't guess, as this has a big effect on how high and solid your boards should be, and how critical and leakproof your tarp must be.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
Hopefully this year I have some luck. Last year was a first time experience and I learned from my many mistakes. Just as I fixed my problems, got my boards good and had it level and was just 1 flood away from a good rink. Then the wave of cold (-10 celsius on average during the day) went away and the winter heat wave came the day of my last flood :( .

Hopefully this year I have better luck.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
*sigh* Damn Vancouver's temperate climate. I can never make a perfect rink! We tried during one of the colder winter's two years ago, it almost worked.

This winter is supposed to be the coldest one in 50 years, so here's hoping to a beauty rink.

Gags89

Feb 15, 2009
I've only been able to find poly in 10' width. How should I go about joining the pieces or could I get away with just overlapping them?

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Anyone ever build one in New Jersey?

I'd love to try this once it gets real cold, however I don't think it will work. Weather here isn't cold enough.

Also, would putting a liner on top of cement work? I'm thinking no.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
When I was younger, a couple years after we build a new shed on our farm, before we poured concrete/heated floors in our shed my dad put an ice rink in it. The rink took up a little bit less than half the shed, and was 50 feet by 60 ft. (approx) Dad owns his own construction, so he had lots of wood for us to use, and we laid a plastic tarp underneath.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
been cold up here and my pond is frozen...its about 200 yards from my house and i just got back from checking it...cant freaking wait to play some pond hockey all day tomorrow and eat some turkey

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
It's kinda surprising how hard it is to make a rink. You figure it's basically water + cold = ice. Done. But ice is damn finicky eh?

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
After reading this thread, I wanna make one for next winter after I buy my house this coming summer.

New idea for when I do my house shopping: flat & level backyard -might be a stretch but even if its close to being level & flat :D

wraezor

Dec 31, 2008
I've got a pond cleared near our house already. Unfortunately it's too far away for extension cords or water hoses, so I have to get creative with flooding and lighting.

I think I've got a plan for flooding, but has anyone used battery powered lights that they could recommend in Alberta? I don't really want to buy a generator just for some light.

Would something like this work with some cheap flood lights?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...er+Nautilus+Battery+Pack++800+A.jsp?locale=en

Thanks in advance.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
me and the kids just came in from our first skate on the backyard rink. hopefully we will get back out after dinner.

hope the weather in Chicago holds out!
:yo:

ImmortalsC

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago
me and the kids just came in from our first skate on the backyard rink. hopefully we will get back out after dinner.

hope the weather in Chicago holds out!
:yo:

Count me jealous. I'm in the SW burbs, itching to make a rink, but I think I have to wait a year till my eldest is old enough to skate before the wife will approve the backyard project...

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Count me jealous. I'm in the SW burbs, itching to make a rink, but I think I have to wait a year till my eldest is old enough to skate before the wife will approve the backyard project...

actually I'm in Joliet, but nobody knows where that's at.

EShack

Aug 30, 2008
Wyoming, MI
Hey guys, I posted this shot in the other thread, and didn't see this one. I just built this for the first time this year, I thought I might share a little info on how to save some cash. I looked at the NiceRink liners and a few other brands, but I found some stuff called Dura-Skrim that worked fine. It's construction material, basically a vapor barrier but designed to be nailed and stapled for people working outdoors that want to avoid the wind. Most stuff rips, but this material has fabric strands in it to make it more durable.

I picked up a 100'x40' roll for about $250. I got mine at a concrete supply house, I'm guessing a similar establishment anywhere in the country would have it. If you live in a region where backyard rinks aren't too common you might want to do a little research before you go, the guys at the counter knew exactly what I wanted as soon as I mentioned a backyard rink, apparently they sell tons of it for that purpose. Otherwise I might not have gotten the right stuff.

165193_1763311926162_1340016044_2022484_5427151_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad