Back Yard Ice Rinks

FrankReynolds19

Dec 19, 2011
got out last friday on the rink. was able to play for about 2 hours then had some cracks leaking a lot of water onto the rink so got off and flooded and let it sit for about 5 hours then skated for another hour and a half till too much snow was falling. The next day wasnt home so went to check it sunday and had warmed up soo much there was a layer of water on top again. At least i got to use it once, really hope feb brings some cold weather.

keup257

Oct 4, 2010
Lower Saxony
It is not exactly a backdoor rink, but a friend decided to flood his roller hockey team's outdoor rink. The weather was great the last days and is going to stay below zero for at least 2 weaks even during day time. We just have a problem with the pressure and mass of water because there is just a groundwater pump. Keeping my fingers crossed that we can play some hockey this weekend.View attachment 52159

torped929

Jan 4, 2012
I lucked out 3 sundays ago in western mass. We have a shallow pond nearby that froze well enough to play. I'm a fat dude who's never played it was the most fun I've ever had I'll put up pics if I get a chance later :yo:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
In just about all of the US and a good deal of Canada, seems to me that there's been almost 0 outdoor hockey this winter...thanks to the weather.

I've put a little rink in my yard for the last 6 or 7 years, and this year has by far been the worst. I think mine's been skated on all of 4 times all winter. We're supposed to get a couple of consecutive days below freezing this weekend, and I'm hoping it will freeze enough to get at least one more day of use out of it. We were really spoiled last winter, where we got about 7 straight weeks of skating. That makes this year seem just that much worse. But on the bright side, I've only had to shovel snow once this year.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I did my first one this year... small and the weather sucked, only got about a weeks worth of actual playing time but I'm happy with it. Next year I'll know what I'm doing and I'll make it bigger and earlier in the year.

I Am Score*

I still hope to play at Chevy Chase Club in the Maryland/DC area. I think it's in Maryland, I'll have to double check though.

It's where the Caps practiced on HBO 24/7 where they had the goofy eye paint. Beautiful rink right by a lodge style country club surrounded by forest. Amazing at night.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
So far we've had a pretty good year for outdoor in Chicago. I play in an outdoor league and last year they had already cancelled a bunch of the games due to warm temps. So far this year we've gotten in all our games but 1 and that was at the end of November when temps are always still iffy here. Now that can all change on a dime, but we've been lucky so far.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Things here in the Michi aren't looking that great. Within hours of my lake freezing we got more snow, which seemed to melt into the ice, or water rising up blending. That is the worst combination to form the dreaded snow crust on the surface. May be a few shallower ponds were frozen properly before the snow, I'm gonna start poking around this week.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
First day of pond, looks like a shallow canal at the far west end of the lake did freeze earlier and a neighbor already plowed a huge rink. Got to talk to him as well, a very very kind guy who was only worried we were going to ice fish in the middle of the rink!

Yup the best things in life are fee. Pond hockey has got to be one of the most pure and blessed gifts in the world! :handclap:

No1TopGun

Jan 26, 2011
Melbourne
Just watched some doco about pond hockey culture and apparently kids just aren't doing it anymore. As a hockey player from Australia I'd kill for frozen ponds. DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED PEOPLE!!!

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
(I know this thread is dead but idk.) Does anyone know all the steps to converting an ice rink to a pool. I live in The GTA so Basically every winter it's cold enough.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Cant believe nobody posted last winter. It was perfect for backyard rinks for a good four solid months.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Looking to purchase a liner. Looking for suggestions or recommendations for a site to order from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad