Back up Goalie for next year

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Great now PC has a mandate to get another backup. Why do you guys want a backup anyway, isn't Rask supposed to play every game?

When Anton, Chad and now Niclas play you guys say Bruins need a better backup. It was no biggie when the first 2 were let go because they are a dime a dozen.

My only hope is that you guys have your calendars marked for your next change of boxers.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
It's a little hard to say - I'd say Subban needs another year, but then again Svedberg took a step back in the AHL last year and has been adequate as a backup in the NHL this year. I think Svedberg is around 1 more year, chances of finding a UFA upgrade who doesn't want at least 2 years is not too likely.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I'm not a huge fan of Svedberg, but I wouldn't be horribly upset if we kept him. I think I got a little spoiled with Rask, Khudobin and then Ochocinco as back ups and forget that back ups are really just supposed to back up. All three were fantastic back ups (idk what happened to Ocho, I thought he was quite good here).

If we don't trade Subban I'd like to see him come up for a few next year. Maybe not against the Blues during a playoff push though. I remember last season Sveddy got a game against...I don't remember who but he was very good.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
In this teams cap situation they would be nuts to spend more than a penny over the minimum for a back up to play 10-15 games mostly against the worst teams in the league......

Svedberg isn't very good but his win/loss record is more than adequate for a back up......the only reason we are even worrying about him is because the team blew enough games to dig themselves into the kind of hole where every game matters. Just manage his starts better next season......

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Bruins drafted Zane McIntyre in 2010 and he plays college hockey at University of North Dakota right now. Has 1.99 GAA right now for him, I would be interested to see him get a shot at the back up spot.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I am not sure of his school situation but Zane McIntyre should not fore go his 4th year of college hockey.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With the trend of teams not having their No.1 goaltender play both games of back-to-backs, and most teams can expect 15-20 back-to-back situations in a given season. The days of the Bruins going with the league minimum 600k question mark for Rask's back-up need to be over. The decline of Boston's team D and specifically Chara only amplifies the need to get a competent NHL proven back-up.

I'd take a look at Curtis McElhinney.

He's played 30 games and has reasonable numbers. Did a decent job when Bobrovsky was injured.

Has a back-up mentality, which too me is important to be able to do that role effectively.

Has been around awhile, has a decent amount of experience at the NHL level. Has carved out a decent career as a back-up.

Probably most important to a cap crunched team, out of the available proven NHL UFA goaltenders, he's is the one most likely to accept a contract south of 950k. The rest of this group (guys like Neuvirth, Fasth, Greiss) would be accepting a pay cut as they all make 1 million +.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm find with Svedberg or any goalie that can suit up for ~20-25 games.

We're not gonna get another top notch goalie for under a million. Svedberg or almost any current backup would be fine. What's Timmy Thomas doing these days?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'd be ok with Svedberg for another year. Subban probably could benefit from another season at Providence if he's not traded. Smith looks solid there, too.

McIntyre should finish his degree at ND, enlisting at Pro for 2016-2017.

Speaking of goaltenders, I'm very impressed with Kevin Weekes as anchor and commentator at NHL.com. Very poised and articulate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad