Back to ice after a five month break

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Today was my first skating lesson agter a five month break from ice due to Covid. I’ve been on inlines regularly during that time. Anyway, my crossovers were quite good although I found the speed scary. But my edges had gone to pot. I even struggled with a two foot slalom, and I was unable to skate on one leg around the goal crease, that being one of my old drills. My attempts to skate in a curve on one leg were pathetic which messed up many other more complex drills.

So, some questions.

Is this loss of edge control common and how long will it take to return? At present I only have limited ice time as public skating is still banned.

Does inline skating mess up edge control on ice skates or generally damage ice skating?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I would think the inline skating would be an advantage, as that you're at least using the same muscle groups. But then again there isnt really much carving/edge work, unless you're really good. But it sounds like you are newer to the sport so I'll guess no.

My best advice is to trust your edges on the skates at a slower pace. Get a fresh sharpening and gradually increase the speed. Taking a spill on the ice isnt nearly as bad as road rash :)

krown

Apr 25, 2007
vancouver
Trusting your edges is key. Once you pick up some speed, centrifugal force will keep you from falling on your ass during crossovers. When you have full gear on, keep doing cross over circles faster until you actually fall.. then you know your limit and your comfort level.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks. I've been learning to skate for about 4 years (~six hours a week hockey and public skating) so not a beginner, though I only started lessons a year ago with 5 months off. As I said, my crossovers on ice are pretty good. On inlines I learnt to do forwards one leg slalom on either leg, I could do it backwards on the right leg, but not yet on the left leg. I could do inside edges forwards and backwards (skating on alternate legs with the free leg pulled up alongside the skating leg). Lemons were easy. I could also do forwards crossovers while carrying the puck, clockwise and anti-clockwise. So I was surprised that my edges on ice have gone to poop but my forward stride and crossovers are good. It's rather weird.

Oh well, as you say it's just a case of practice and hope the muscle memory comes back. My skating and ice hockey coaches had little problem going back to ice, but neither had spent much if any time on inlines, and both are far better skaters than me.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I also pivot between ice and roller frequently. Inkine skating messing up your ice skating is a myth.

I find there’s a slight adjustment period when I go
From tile to ice, but after a few laps and maneuvers on ice I’m good.

Just muscle memory you need to come back, keep at it

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
@LeifUK that was my experience. I had been using inlines so my basic skating form was unchanged, but I had zero confidence in my edges. First time I was on the ice I felt like I couldn't do a two foot stop!

I think I've been on the ice half dozen times now. It does come back. I feel more-or-less back to pre-pandemic form (not that I was a great hockey player then either). It just takes time.

Reactions: LeifUK

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks for the comments. I went to my first public skate for five months on Saturday and it was scary. Like Yukon Joe, I had zero confidence in my edges. An hour later and most of my skills came back. After five hours I feel at ease again, and my crossovers and one leg slalom (power pulls) are better than they were thanks to inline skating. My feeling is that having to master (or more accurately, get okay at) another form of skating gives you a better insight into ice skating. I seem to have a better understanding of posture, and it's importance, which has translated into some noticeable improvements including improved stability. My 3 turns still stink!

I guess if I try inlines again, I'll get better at going between the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad