Post-Game Talk: Back to Back Shutouts. Again. Please Take the Core. Please. (4-0 Leafs Lose. Again)

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
PLEASE listen to a grizzled leaf fan; I said a month ago two things;

worst leaf team ever/least likeable and that they will win 5 more games the rest of the year (3 now). Book it.- oh; and they will finish third last.

watching sittler OOOZEEE class on hometown hocley last night ,he blead blue and white as did salming.
this is crappiest team asembled maybe not talent wise ,but gutless ,not one player called anyone out ....EVER !!!!!!
if anyone thinks nonis is making trades they are crazy
this man 12 months ago thougt his this very bunch was capable of play off noise
KUDOS to brendan shanahan for alowing nonis to take part is dismantling the burke era .
hes prolly learned more past few months than being burkes boy for 10 years
but i say hes gone

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Picking up Bernier when Reimer had a pretty good season as starter did a lot to kill his confidence.

Reimer is the only goalie in the last 10 years to get the Leafs to the playoffs.

If competition ruined his confidence, he didn't have what it took to be a starter in this league anyway.

Reimer didn't get the Leafs to the playoffs, he was part of a team that did. And that team would likely not have done it in a full season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
But wait. We outshot Washington, so we must have been the better team?

Washington beat us but don't worry, its unsustainable for them. They are just riding hot goaltending and a ridiculously high scoring percentage. Only when they learn to play a puck control game will they really be an elite team.

Kind of missed the mark there.

For some reason, most of these shots against statistical analysis just portray a lack of understanding for the subject.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Did the Leafs really out-shoot the Capitals? Shots on goal were equal. 32 a piece. For the leafs to out-corsi the Caps, they would have needed to have more missed or blocked shots than the Capitals. I miss the game-by-game advanced stats that extraskater website had. But extraskater is no more. For advanced stats, I go to either puckanalytics, hockeyanalysis or NHL.com (I've been using their "enhanced stats" page a lot more frequently recently). There are certain things I like about NHL.com that I don't like about puckanalytics/hockeyanalysis. And vice versa. For eg. If I want to see Jokinen's advanced stats on just the Leafs and not for both Predators/Leafs, I can't do that with puckanalytics/hockeyanalysis. I have to look at NHL.com for that.

There's behind the net. But I've never really liked that site. Not enough stats.

At any rate, 32 shots on goal and no goals is either pretty disgraceful or unlucky. Depending on how you want to look at this. The Leafs are taking too many low-percentage shots from the perimeter. From behind the hash marks. Kessel included. You know why Tyler Bozak has such a high career shooting %? Because he likes to drive to the net so that he can get a better shot (but he doesn't shoot enough. He just gives it to Kessel almost all the time). Kessel is afraid of getting hit so he likes to shoot further out. Kessel is never going to be a 40+ goal scorer because unlike 50+ goal scorers like Ovechkin and prime Iginla, he is too much of a softie to get down and dirty. Ovechkin is like a shark. A predator (no I'm not talking about the hockey teams).

At any rate, shot percentage is a very volatile statistic. Just like save percentage. But I have the suspicion that if the Leafs start taking better quality shots, their possession numbers are going to suffer again. You need to be able to strike a happy balance on your team between shot quantity and shot quality. The Leafs just can't seem to do that. The LA Kings have a reputation for below-average, if not poor, shot quality. But their shot percentage combined with their great possession is enough to take them into the playoffs. And two times in 3 years their shooting % increases in the playoffs and then they win the Stanley Cup.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
At any rate, 32 shots on goal and no goals is either pretty disgraceful or unlucky. Depending on how you want to look at this.

Panik's (goal) shot was totally unlucky.

OV can shoot and get the puck in.
Kessel shoots (and we all know its good), and right in a glove or pads.

Tyler Biggs*

Yeah it's Reimer's fault they lose and can't score any goals, it's all him lowering his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad