Babcock will start teaching our players like in hockey school

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
We have no chance in winning next season. Looks like we can't trade all of our losers from last season who have played under so many different coaches and still sucked: Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, even JVR. These core losers will now have to learn how to play a better game in the NHL. Under Babcock they'll be able to learn a lot. They will be taught so many new things they never even thought were out there. Oh, they really are out there.
So if we can't ship a few of our most hated losers away we won't stand a chance next season. Since Babcock will have to be a teacher (This has never been seen in the NHL before of course). He will have to guide and teach so many new different things to kids like Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR and lupul etc. It's pretty amazing if you ask me. It's like hockey school for young kids. You of course already see how phaneuf and gardiner will fall on the ice as they try new tactical things etc. They will pick themselves up and fight back. But while doing so we will lose a lot of hockey games.

Not sure if Babcock likes to lose though. But yeah remember that this next season is all about hockey school. The most amazing thing is that they are grown men learning so many new things. Should have traded so many players more, gotten back some already existing winners. It's easier to teach a wiser winner than an empty head.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We have no chance in winning next season. Looks like we can't trade all of our losers from last season who have played under so many different coaches and still sucked: Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, even JVR. These core losers will now have to learn how to play a better game in the NHL. Under Babcock they'll be able to learn a lot. They will be taught so many new things they never even thought were out there. Oh, they really are out there.
So if we can't ship a few of our most hated losers away we won't stand a chance next season. Since Babcock will have to be a teacher (This has never been seen in the NHL before of course). He will have to guide and teach so many new different things to kids like Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR and lupul etc. It's pretty amazing if you ask me. It's like hockey school for young kids. You of course already see how phaneuf and gardiner will fall on the ice as they try new tactical things etc. They will pick themselves up and fight back. But while doing so we will lose a lot of hockey games.

Not sure if Babcock likes to lose though. But yeah remember that this next season is all about hockey school. The most amazing thing is that they are grown men learning so many new things. Should have traded so many players more, gotten back some already existing winners. It's easier to teach a wiser winner than an empty head.
i doubt he will be teaching bozak he will most likely get traded b4 end of offseason, i also expect one of lupul and dion to be gone by deadline next year, i think he wont really be doing a whole lot of teaching next year, most of our guys will be experienced vets maybe he helps them but most of the teaching will be to youngsters like rielly and kadri, jvr, and gardner along with callups.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Hard to teach the revolving door of players I expect we will see through here over the next 3-4-5 seasons. I think we will see the fundamentals Babs will do what he does, people will buy into his system on and off the ice or they wont be around here very long.

I think the main thing is he wants to make sure there is a direction on the team. That direction is you get paid play a sport your and athlete 365 days of the year. Like most people he sees it as you can take a few weeks off for a holiday over the summer but it doesn't mean you take the whole summer off and come into camp not in your absolute best shape.

This is where I think we will see the biggest changes. Our team will be in top shape from training camp the ones who are not will either not play or be shipped out. I have no arguments with that.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This has never been seen in the NHL before of course

You weren't around during the Ron Wilson honeymoon period. I'll tickle the memory: "Two hands on the stick." "Shooting lanes"

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
You weren't around during the Ron Wilson honeymoon period. I'll tickle the memory: "Two hands on the stick." "Shooting lanes"

It's more the system Babcock plays rather then preaching to his players.... The problem between Babcock and Wilson, and even Randy was and is, Babcock has full authority and backing of his management staff.

Wilson was Buddies with Burke but he still had a leash with some of his players. Randy the same he could ride some players but others like Kessel were left off limits. It would have caused a rift also between coach and players and player and player... I think the one thing we will have now is everybody consistently being held accountable no freebees or passes. The only high profile player we have now is Dion but he does seem more coachable and team oriented then Kessel was for example..

I have a feeling Kadri is going to be taught a hard lesson this season.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
So, is this a fact or an assumption? The topic leads me to believe it is a fact but the post was just all opinion.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
It's more the system Babcock plays rather then preaching to his players.... The problem between Babcock and Wilson, and even Randy was and is, Babcock has full authority and backing of his management staff.

Wilson was Buddies with Burke but he still had a leash with some of his players. Randy the same he could ride some players but others like Kessel were left off limits. It would have caused a rift also between coach and players and player and player... I think the one thing we will have now is everybody consistently being held accountable no freebees or passes. The only high profile player we have now is Dion but he does seem more coachable and team oriented then Kessel was for example..

You got that right, sir.
So it'll be like Babcock telling to a little empty headed kid: "You can't do this but you will do this." "No you can't party this time with the cake and coke, but you will wake up early."

It's like a daddy teaching some young players in a hockey school. I remember those.

Man some of our players are like pretty, pretty pretty dumb.

YOYOTCROSTER*

The big changes you won't see as fans. Babs has a physical training program mapped out per player for this summer. He has a strength and conditioning coach who gets weekly reports from each player on daily training results. Babs reviews everything and sets travel schedule of his conditioning coach as he travels to see live training and confirms results. The good ole boy system of the past/Wilson/carlyle is now long gone and accountability is firmly in place.

Also as Babs maps out his systems for his 2015/6 leafs he will send everything out before camp starts to give players time to understand it before camp starts. There are also review sessions with assistant coaches and players before camp opens so camp is spent more productively.

Babs is a do and report type of coach who measures everything. If you can't measure it ain't worth doing it. These changes will change the approach over time of all players on the team. If the players can't live in Babs measured world then they will not e around very long. Babs isa man up kinda guy. Talk it through then do it with no excuses.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

LOL at singling out Kadri. If you were to measure the effort our guys put out, Kadri's near the top of the list. I imagine Babcock will appreciate players who you know, actually try hard.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
how many times has babcock said the nhl is not a development league. at the nhl level the coaches job is to establish systems for breakouts, pp, pk, things like that. if babs need to waste time on basic hockey things i think he would just bench that player.

as for work ethic, i dont see it being a problem. the worst was kessel and he is gone now. i never find kadris work ethic an issue. he is a bit young and arrogant at times and immature but he works hard. he will get it together i think and im sure having structure and a better caliber of veteran around him will help him and gardiner.

if you look at the leafs going into the season there are a lot more likeable already.

(players on team with work ethic and character)
xxxxxx-kadri-xxxxx
panik-arcobello-parenteau
komorov-holland-matthias
winnik-spaling-xxxxx

rielly-xxxxx
xxxxx-polak
huwick-robidas
xxxxxx

bernier
reimer

the team might be bad but at least they will care, compete, and try hard. the players i left out are not lost causes like kessel either so i think given how 90% of the team seems likeable and hard working, bozak, lupul, jvr, and phaneuf could possibly reinvent themselves under a much improved character roster.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
how many times has babcock said the nhl is not a development league. at the nhl level the coaches job is to establish systems for breakouts, pp, pk, things like that. if babs need to waste time on basic hockey things i think he would just bench that player.

as for work ethic, i dont see it being a problem. the worst was kessel and he is gone now. i never find kadris work ethic an issue. he is a bit young and arrogant at times and immature but he works hard. he will get it together i think and im sure having structure and a better caliber of veteran around him will help him and gardiner.

if you look at the leafs going into the season there are a lot more likeable already.

xxxxxx-kadri-xxxxx
komorov-holland-matthias
winnik-spaling-xxxxx

rielly-xxxxx
xxxxx-polak
huwick-robidas
xxxxxx

bernier
reimer

the team might be bad but at least they will care, compete, and try hard. the players i left out are not lost causes like kessel either so i think given how 90% of the team seems likeable and hard working, bozak, lupul, jvr, and phaneuf could possibly reinvent themselves under a much improved character roster.
I really, really like the fact you left out all those guys with the xxx marks. You are spot on correctamundo.
Lets see how many of these sore losers under every single coach are left when that first small black puck drops.

I also agree with the posters that say Kadri is a warrior heart who tries even special and weird things. I like that he runs over goalies. Can't win if you don't do that period.

Babcock might be schooling Bozak, Lupul and JVR like they was school girls or boys........ pretty weird. They have been doing things so wrong a long time. Bozak doesn't know what's going on.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015

xxxxxx-kadri-xxxxx
komorov-holland-matthias
winnik-spaling-xxxxx

rielly-xxxxx
xxxxx-polak
huwick-robidas
xxxxxx

bernier
reimer

Exactly this. Lose, but lose with pride. Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, JVR... These are the players I will be watching the most closely, if they show even slight improvement at reading plays and working hard at developing and maintaining a system then I will consider the season a win.

Everyone else can do whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned. Their only value lies in what they bring to the locker room and what we can pawn them off for.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
they're acquiring fill in the gap veterans who should work well in his system
and they intend on keeping the kids on the Marlies for a yr or 3 to learn it as well at a lower level before it's time for them to make it to the big club

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we can be a good team next year. It's not like we have a team full of kids.

Especially if Bernier plays well, we could do pretty well all things considered.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Looks like we can't trade all of our losers from last season who have played under so many different coaches and still sucked: Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, even JVR. These core losers will now have to learn how to play a better game in the NHL.

Does the season start tomorrow or something?

Under Babcock they'll be able to learn a lot. They will be taught so many new things they never even thought were out there. Oh, they really are out there.

So he has info that no other coach they have encountered int heir careers has?

So if we can't ship a few of our most hated losers away we won't stand a chance next season.

Do you not realize that the team stand little chance of winning next year even if those players are shipped out?

Since Babcock will have to be a teacher (This has never been seen in the NHL before of course).

Huh?

He will have to guide and teach so many new different things to kids like Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR and lupul etc. It's pretty amazing if you ask me. It's like hockey school for young kids.

Huh?

You of course already see how phaneuf and gardiner will fall on the ice as they try new tactical things etc.

*****???

The most amazing thing is that they are grown men learning so many new things.

They will be learning new systems, nothing more.

quote]Should have traded so many players more[/quote]

Again, does the season start tomorrow or something?

gotten back some already existing winners.

What part of 'rebuild' confuses you?

It's easier to teach a wiser winner than an empty head.

After reading your post I am not sure you are in any position to call anyone else an empty head.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

xxxxxx-kadri-xxxxx
komorov-holland-matthias
winnik-spaling-xxxxx

rielly-xxxxx
xxxxx-polak
huwick-robidas
xxxxxx

bernier
reimer

A year with our guys and he might be singing a different tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00