Babcock: the players that were here, can't take their jobs back

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Holy hell thats fantastic news!

Cleary/Bertuzzi/Samuelsson gone, and the kids are up. If we can remain healthy next season we are going to be very dangerous as long as we can shore up our defense.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
All things considered, were this years injuries a positive?

Sure it might have hurt our regular season standings, and sure it may effect our play-off performance, but do you think the injury situation this year was an overall positive for the team going forward?

I mean there are definitely some huge negatives, who knows if Z and D will ever be the same, Weiss is a mess etc. but there is no denying that these injuries have forced Babs to completely change his outlook on youth.

So I guess my question is, if you were some Godly being and you had the choice between an injury-free season and the season as it actually played out, what would you pick?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Since I'm god, can I also just make it so we never brought back Cleary and signed Sammy/Tootoo/Bert?

If not, then I'll take the injuries. It's seem to show Babcock he can trust these kids. It's given at least 2 of them a look that the would never have gotten otherwise. Although.... if we didn't have injuries we probably wouldn't have traded Jarnkrok...

IT'S SO HARD.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
How the season actually played out. I don't think they make the playoffs if it doesn't. Say what you want, but watching playoff hockey is exciting. Especially when your team, still not 100%, has a legitimate chance to upset the arguable favorite to win the Stanley Cup.

Just as equally as exciting was watching Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, DeKeyser et al step-up and take over the charge.

dutch00

Jan 25, 2012
Sure it might have hurt our regular season standings, and sure it may effect our play-off performance, but do you think the injury situation this year was an overall positive for the team going forward?

I mean there are definitely some huge negatives, who knows if Z and D will ever be the same, Weiss is a mess etc. but there is no denying that these injuries have forced Babs to completely change his outlook on youth.

So I guess my question is, if you were some Godly being and you had the choice between an injury-free season and the season as it actually played out, what would you pick?

I would pick the way the season played out. Z has been having back problems for years now, so the fact that he has finally had surgery should (hopefully) correct that problem. Assuming everyone was healthy, our lineup today would be superior to the lineup on opening night. I don't think gus, tats, and certainly not jurco or sheahan would have been given a chance if the injuries didn't pile up the way they did. ANDDD we still made the playoffs. We're only missing a couple solid defenders and a healthy lineup. The future looks bright :yo:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Aside from Hank and Ericsson...which of the injured players were actually playing well enough to unseat the kids? Not to be morbid but the injuries kept this streak alive. I don't think they get in with the "status quo".

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Sammy is a guy they were kinda stuck with, even if it was pretty much their own fault. But Bert is a guy who I think deserved a shot this season. Cleary is kind of a special case. He had good playoff stats last postseason; he was probably right to try to play another year. However, from the Wings standpoint, with Nyquist without a spot, I don't think it would have been so offensive to let Cleary play elsewhere. You know, they let Cheli walk in the end, and no hard feelings there.

Worst of all, really, were the nasty, rapid "there is no way Gus Nyquist is ready for the NHL yet" crew. What an epitaph that would have been if the Wings hadn't made the playoffs.

In sports, physical performance is almost entirely what qualifies you. That seems like a rather strange lesson to learn for an organization with so much experience.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I really, really, really hope Jurco is on the team to start next year. He deserves it, he's an absolute stud, could hit 40 points next year no problem.

With our young players proving they are legitimate NHL players, I do not want to test the UFA market at all next year, at least not for a forward. To me, UFA's are so overrated, and half the time (or more) the moves backfire, see Stephen Weiss, David Clarkson etc. Let the kids play, they have earned it. If Alfie wants back then fine, bring him back, but not at the expense of Jurco not getting a roster spot. If it means we have to waive both Ferraro and Callahan to fit Jurco on the team, then so be it, waive them.

All this being said, I will believe it when I see Jurco penciled in next October on opening day. This team has probably learned their lesson with kids in GR, but you just never know.

Jurco isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He has a chance to be a special type of player and kudos to Blashill once again. His two way game has really improved and the AHL does little for his development anymore.

The one they have to worry about is Mantha. He is the type of player who needs to play in the NHL. He's all about finding openings and lanes to set himself up. The speed of the game between the NHL and AHL is widening and I'm not sure playing in the AHL really helps him. If he has a good summer of working on his two way play, there's a good chance he plays large stretches in the NHL next season.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Holy hell thats fantastic news!

Cleary/Bertuzzi/Samuelsson gone, and the kids are up. If we can remain healthy next season we are going to be very dangerous as long as we can shore up our defense.

I would think if we resign Alfie for 1 more season and resign Legwand, Then most likely Jurco would be sent down to Grand Rapids for another season I just don't see a spot for him unless we sustain more Injuries which will happen.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Jurco isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He has a chance to be a special type of player and kudos to Blashill once again. His two way game has really improved and the AHL does little for his development anymore.

The one they have to worry about is Mantha. He is the type of player who needs to play in the NHL. He's all about finding openings and lanes to set himself up. The speed of the game between the NHL and AHL is widening and I'm not sure playing in the AHL really helps him. If he has a good summer of working on his two way play, there's a good chance he plays large stretches in the NHL next season.

The only possible way that Mantha could be up next season Is If he has an outstanding camp and plays lights out during preseason and then there's always that factor of will Alfredsson play another season and right now that's 50/50 possibilitie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad