TSN: Babcock talks Marlies, his young stars, and Dubas

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Was also a story in the Athletic about this sort of stuff.

Think folks should rest easy about the alleged tension issue between him and the guys, here will always be short term friction issues between star players and a coach (ie mid game) but doesn’t mean there is anything overly serious.

In the Athletic article Babcock also reiterated his desire for depth over line stacking (the right call imo), so don’t expect drastic changes to his systems between now and the start of the season

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
My take is he didn't mention defensemen so they must be confident in what they have.
They expect Lindholm to jump in to maybe a 3rd or 4th line position.
Babcock is a master for speak without saying anything :laugh:

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
it was kind of funny that positional need answer

it's like he started to think damn we need a center that scores goals

then damn how do i not make it seem like we're going for tavares? oh look at that gauthier and lindholm right there! gonnnnnna be beautiesssss

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Was also a story in the Athletic about this sort of stuff.

Think folks should rest easy about the alleged tension issue between him and the guys, here will always be short term friction issues between star players and a coach (ie mid game) but doesn’t mean there is anything overly serious.

In the Athletic article Babcock also reiterated his desire for depth over line stacking (the right call imo), so don’t expect drastic changes to his systems between now and the start of the season

i agree. i feel as long as we can have the flexibility to spread the wealth, do it.
it would be nice though if we need like a shot in the arm just load up for bear and go for it.

i'm reading the article.
yah. they beat us by 1 line
but tampa beat them with their depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
i agree. i feel as long as we can have the flexibility to spread the wealth, do it.
it would be nice though if we need like a shot in the arm just load up for bear and go for it.

i'm reading the article.
yah. they beat us by 1 line
but tampa beat them with their depth.
I guess this wouldn't get as much attention since Tampa ended up defeating Boston. However I believe the Bruins limited Kucherov to just 1 goal in those 5 games. So it wasn't just Matthews that they were able to contain from scoring a lot of goals against them.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
LOL, Babcock would be a great politician after watching that. I don't think he answered a single question.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I guess this wouldn't get as much attention since Tampa ended up defeating Boston. However I believe the Bruins limited Kucherov to just 1 goal in those 5 games. So it wasn't just Matthews that they were able to contain from scoring a lot of goals against them.
I've been saying that ever since Game 7. You can go through their playoff history and find these stories over and over. Even Crosby faced a combination of Bergeron and Chara and proceeded to get 0 points in 4 games. It's something to remember, and a valuable lesson when it comes to how big conclusions should be drawn from that series.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I thought it was stupid that he got asked about contract negotiations for Nylander, Matthews and Marner.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
LOL, Babcock would be a great politician after watching that. I don't think he answered a single question.

That’s his best quality though, manipulating and misleading people to buy into everything he says. This country bumpkin has been doing it for years, and if you think that he would make a great politician now then you woke up a little too late haha.

Just watch his interviews after each game and he will only answer what people like to hear and when it comes to take the blame he would always end up blaming the players. Just a pathetic coach we have signed here.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That’s his best quality though, manipulating and misleading people to buy into everything he says. This country bumpkin has been doing it for years, and if you think that he would make a great politician now then you woke up a little too late haha.

Just watch his interviews after each game and he will only answer what people like to hear and when it comes to take the blame he would always end up blaming the players. Just a pathetic coach we have signed here.
Thats his best quality though. Answering and telling people the truth. This genius person has been doing it for years, and it makes him a great poltician haha
Just watch his interviews, he will only answer questions then are asked and when it comes to blame, he will never blame the players. Just an amazing coach we have signed here.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The bolded is obviously false. Many times he's blames himself and the coaching staff for not having the team ready to come out for the game.
I think you may have bias there

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I actually think his interviews, particularly post game interviews are great. Don't ask the Coach, questions that aren't his responsibility, that in answering will cause issues. He isn't responsible for signing, trading or drafting. So don't ask him those questions. He can comment on the organizations players, and nothing more. Does anyone expect him to say, we need a top pairing RHD? Then we don't get one, and the media and half the fans write stories, or talk about how Babcock has been ignored, or is pissed at Dubas, or... some other idiotic statement. He's not going to comment on contracts, it's not his job, he's not involved in it. You want to have those conversations, talk to the GM.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
This isn't going to end well. Especially if the Leafs lose in the first round again. Dubas will fire Babcock. I think Dubas likes the team he built. He feels a few of these guys will be on the Leafs next year. It's Babcocks job to get along with them. Bring out their best. I'm not sure he's the guy for the job. Hope I'm wrong....

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Thats his best quality though. Answering and telling people the truth. This genius person has been doing it for years, and it makes him a great poltician haha
Just watch his interviews, he will only answer questions then are asked and when it comes to blame, he will never blame the players. Just an amazing coach we have signed here.

Your schtick is super weird

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The bolded is obviously false. Many times he's blames himself and the coaching staff for not having the team ready to come out for the game.
I think you may have bias there

Agreed. I think the guy you quoted has entirely forgotten Carlyle. That is the prime example of a coach who would throw his players under the bus publically. Even if you think calling out a player can benefit them long-term, do it within the locker room... not multiple times to the media. Babcock never calls out players publically and actually makes sure to take blame off individuals (ie Gardiner this year) routinely.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Did he kind of slip up when talking about the 'biggest need'? Or is it me? .. Certainly seems like they are ready to move on with JVR and Bozak as he eluded to replacing the goals and losing a top 9 centre without mentioning that hopefully they bring both back/we're expecting to re-sign them.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Dubas will fire the country bumpkin well before his contract expires. Guy is so out of date, its hilarious. How anyone can listen to a guy who never played a whistle in the NHl or the AHL, is beyond me.

He is living proof, bullshit baffles brains.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas will fire the country bumpkin well before his contract expires. Guy is so out of date, its hilarious. How anyone can listen to a guy who never played a whistle in the NHl or the AHL, is beyond me. He is living proof, bull**** baffles brains.

Nice comedy you are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad