Babcock resigning as CBJ Head Coach *Mod note, post #687*

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
To be honest I think his aw shucks accent is a big reason why he's been able to disguise his f***ing diabolical sociopathic mind.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I agree that winning definitely buys a lot of leeway. If Babcock were winning in Toronto he likely wouldn't have been fired.

As for Holland, he had supported Babcock all along the way including after his firing in Toronto. Here's an interview from around three years ago where he basically refutes or downplays most of the accusations made about Babcock.

You have to remember that when Babcock signed with the Leafs, Holland was offering him a contract to coach the Wings for 5 more years. With this latest incident he's probably smart enough to realize it's better to stay quiet and hope no one points any fingers at him. As GM he had to have a pretty good idea of what was going on and was apparently ok with it.

Holland also said a few days ago that he feels bad for Babcock, didn't mention the victims of Babcock though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's important to note that is from 3 years ago around the time Babcock was fired from Toronto. It's not from this current incident, so his feelings may have changed.

But Lidstrom in this interview gives similar comments to Holland. Of course he played under Bowman for 9 years so maybe Babcock's behavior didn't seem that exceptional. The interviewer seem to try and get him to contrast the two coaches in terms of that behavior but Lids only talks about tactics and being hands on or not. And being such an exceptional player he likely didn't receive any of Babcock's wrath. But as a player and captain he must have been around it and known about it. Though he says he didn't know about the Franzen incident until it came out in the press.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not that no one is saying what Franzen experienced from his end is wrong, but except for Chelios there hasn't been much of any other players backing his story. Which leads me to believe that either it's blown out of proportion or most players were used to having coaches who on lets say a regular basis gave shit to players and it wasn't in most eyes or ears nothing out of the ordinary rants they have heard. It just fired more on Franzen as he had concussion symptoms etc as well.

Holland pointed out that Chelios wasn't even on the team at that point. The way Cheli tells the story he makes it sound like he was on the bench at the time and then the players meeting happened as a result of it, which isn't true.

BUT, Holland confirmed that there was a team meeting about Babcock at some point, and from Franzen's comments it's clear that he hates Babcock and feels he was treated awfully. Given the streaky way Franzen played, it's not a stretch to think Babcock would've been all over him. Us Wings fans were pretty brutal talking about Franzen so I can only imagine what an a-hole like Babcock would've said.

What's really pathetic to me is whatever happened back then, we now know about Franzen's struggles with mental health and concussion issues. He feels Babcock tormented him and made his life miserable, which he almost certainly did. But I've never heard anything from Babcock where he seems to actually empathize with Franzen and give a genuine apology. He still somehow made it about himself. He may have been a good coach in X's and O's but he's a small, small man.

Reactions: Crede777

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
FB_IMG_1695470556952.jpg

Reactions: Barnum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad