News Article: Babcock Keeps Pushing Red Wings in Perhaps His Best Coaching Job Ever

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Fire Babcock. The team has tuned him out. Am I right?

That's what I heard.

There was definitely a phase during the season when the team was subpar. We all know it. Babs knows it. They almost didn't make the playoffs. I think Datsyuk and Zetterberg should get some credit because it seems they put the team on their backs and dragged everyone into the playoffs, and then some. The two have been phenomenal over the past month.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
There was definitely a phase during the season when the team was subpar. We all know it. Babs knows it. They almost didn't make the playoffs. I think Datsyuk and Zetterberg should get some credit because it seems they put the team on their backs and dragged everyone into the playoffs, and then some. The two have been phenomenal over the past month.

Babcock was on "Hockey Central at Noon" today, I only caught the last couple of minutes. He was talking about the early season struggles and how as a coach you have to grow & evolve with the team you have. He said that it took the Wings the first 20 games or so to really find an identity, that with all of the young blood added into the lineup he had to change somethings about his coaching style & that Tom Renney was a huge addition to the coaching staff. From what I heard Renney is doing exactly what we thought he would and that's being able to mend some of the feelings that Babcock might hurt but he's also able to criticize the players without them becoming offended.

Here's a link to listen to him fully, it's 11 minutes long but it's worth the listen.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-on-hc-noon/

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Babcock was on "Hockey Central at Noon" today, I only caught the last couple of minutes. He was talking about the early season struggles and how as a coach you have to grow & evolve with the team you have. He said that it took the Wings the first 20 games or so to really find an identity, that with all of the young blood added into the lineup he had to change somethings about his coaching style & that Tom Renney was a huge addition to the coaching staff. From what I heard Renney is doing exactly what we thought he would and that's being able to mend some of the feelings that Babcock might hurt but he's also able to criticize the players without them becoming offended.

Here's a link to listen to him fully, it's 11 minutes long but it's worth the listen.

Loved the Dallas Drake comments: "When we won the cup he played about 7 minutes a night, 5 of them in the first period but the other team knew he was out there."

Thanks for posting.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

I've noticed Renney on the bench always patting guys on the back, celebrating their success and offering encouragement after bonehead plays. I've thought him and babs play a little good cop/bad cop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad