Babcock interview

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I listened to this a few hours ago, I really liked what Babs had to say. The part where he said Danny Cleary did nothing for them last year made me smile. Seems like we will have a healthy D & Z for the first time in a while to start the season too, that should be huge to the team.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I had no idea that Datsyuk (and Cleary) have worked with Barwis. As a UM fan I'm very familiar with him and have always heard great things about his program and philosophy. He's actually the reason I drink chocolate milk after workouts.

It was nice hearing Babcock say that Cleary did nothing for them last year, but it was awful hearing him talk about how important Cleary was the season before. That's BS. He called Cleary "heavy on the puck" and "on the forecheck". Those are absolute lies. Cleary was awful in 2013, got knocked off pucks easier than anyone I remember seeing and had no speed to forecheck effectively.

Thanks for linking though.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Cleary did nothing for us last year so I played him 52 games and gave him good ice time and PP time for the first 25 games. He did have some good things to say.

This contract situation seems weird though, both say they really wanna get it done but dont wanna negotiate during the season because it'll be a distraction. Well its gonna be one if it doesnt get done before the season

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Hopefully he's serious about the best players playing. He wasn't last year...

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm tired of the condescending tone, tbh. I can take the wry stuff with the media, but you're supposed to appeal to the fans. Him simply saying "we know more than you" is getting tired. Does he think that all fans never played or coached any sort of competitive hockey? For all he knows one of us fans could be on the path to being an NHL coach right now.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The more interviews I hear, the more apparent Babcock's involvement in the front office becomes. He definitely has and is continuing to play a significant role in the direction of the club. That bodes well for us resigning him

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The more interviews I hear, the more apparent Babcock's involvement in the front office becomes. He definitely has and is continuing to play a significant role in the direction of the club. That bodes well for us resigning him

Unless someone else is wiling to give him more.

Also, I'm not sure I want him to be more involved.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm tired of the condescending tone, tbh. I can take the wry stuff with the media, but you're supposed to appeal to the fans. Him simply saying "we know more than you" is getting tired. Does he think that all fans never played or coached any sort of competitive hockey? For all he knows one of us fans could be on the path to being an NHL coach right now.

They're defensive because they know the '3 best friends' are being questioned for their allegiance.

Seriously though, I agree with you.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Unless someone else is wiling to give him more.

Also, I'm not sure I want him to be more involved.

I understand your trepidation, Babs can be as stubborn as an ox. But we cannot say he is anything less than a great hockey mind. We can't take that from him, he has accomplished to much. For that reason I would be open to giving him a role upstairs while Blashill becomes HC

I wouldn't mind seeing him move to front office full time as a special adviser to the HC and GM.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's weird to see how anti-Babcock this community is, because it seems like he mostly agrees with them. He's very pro-kid, he's willing to admit that Cleary was awful last season, and he doesn't BS anybody. It's almost like Holland has infected Babcock somehow in this forum's view, because he can say good things and nobody wants to hear it.

Hell, this interview makes it sound like Holland is the problem and not really Babcock.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
It's weird to see how anti-Babcock this community is, because it seems like he mostly agrees with them. He's very pro-kid, he's willing to admit that Cleary was awful last season, and he doesn't BS anybody. It's almost like Holland has infected Babcock somehow in this forum's view, because he can say good things and nobody wants to hear it.

Hell, this interview makes it sound like Holland is the problem and not really Babcock.

Babcock is not very "pro kid"

Tie goes to the veteran????

He loves the kids when it involves talking about them. When it involves him actually putting them on the ice, we get the real Mike Babcock. Holland and Babcock are very similar in that sense. They love talking about the kids, but they don't love playing them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Talk is cheap.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Babcock is not very "pro kid"

Tie goes to the veteran????

He loves the kids when it involves talking about them. When it involves him actually putting them on the ice, we get the real Mike Babcock. Holland and Babcock are very similar in that sense. They love talking about the kids, but they don't love playing them.
Except Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, DeKeyser, right? and Jurco too, for the most part.

He has a real hard-on for the prospect defensemen, too. Loves all of 'em. Has actually claimed in the media that Backman will be a Red Wing this season.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Except Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, DeKeyser, right? and Jurco too, for the most part.

He has a real hard-on for the prospect defensemen, too. Loves all of 'em. Has actually claimed in the media that Backman will be a Red Wing this season.

He benched Tatar for nine games.

And you actually believe him that Backman is going to play?

He is Danny Cleary's #1 fan.

He plays the kids if he has no choice. That doesn't sound like a person who loves kids.

Babcock and Holland did a lot of talking last off season. That talk turned into another veteran love affair.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Being able to judge hockey talent isn't something anyone can do. You need to have gone to school for it and get a degree. And you need lots of experience at the top. That's why so many of the best coaches/GMs were amazing pro players when they were younger.

o wait.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

I guess you hear what you want too.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Cleary-Andersson-Bertuzzi
Miller-Emmerton-Samuelsson

Tatar couldn't crack that lineup at the start of last season. Why? Because of Babcock. Tie goes to the veteran despite the fact that there was no tie. Tatar was better than the entire bottom 6.

He admits that Cleary was awful last year but then goes on to praise him for the previous season. Guess what? There was hardly that big a difference between 12-13 Cleary to 13-14 Cleary. He was beyond awful both seasons.

This being the Babcock that played Cleary with players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg in 12-13 and the same Babcock who played Cleary on the PP in both seasons. Why would you play a player that you now admit was awful on the PP? He was a minus player on the PP this past season for crying out loud.

Babcock talking pro kid means nothing when he doesn't always show it.

I remember last preseason, Babcock played Nyquist and Tatar against Piitsburgh's top line. As you can imagine, they didn't fare so well. Babcock came out after the game and said that this proves that they aren't ready, despite the fact that Nyquist and Tatar clearly wouldn't be Detroit's top line and have to face that type of competition when the full roster was playing.

And on the flip side? When Cleary and Samuelsson were awful in the preseason despite playing against bottom lines he didn't bat an eye.

He's very hypocritical and his actions don't always line up with his words.

Lol at how one can take that interview as Babcock being innocent and Holland being the problem. Agenda much? They've both been guilty of making head scratching decisions.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Maybe, but talk is exactly what you're getting when you listen to a phone interview. :laugh: and it's not like he can do anything else right now. But saying the right stuff is a lot better than what Holland's doing, which is both saying and doing the wrong stuff. Babcock should appear to be a beam of pure sunshine by comparison.

Seriously, did you hear the same interview that I did?

Babcock basically defended Holland and said that he's on page with everything that's going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad