Babcock has need for speed

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Of course it is, because Ouelett is the better hockey player.

Teams have been known to call up players because of specific attributes they bring to the table, while another player whom people perceive as better stays behind. It's not uncommon, and it's not silly.

I'm aware many people around here have a ***** for Jensen after the preseason and I'm aware Mickey was raving about him, but just because he has a right handed shot and is fast, does not mean he deserves an NHL spot right now, especially over Ouelette. I'm not even convinced Jensen deserves a spot over Marchenko yet.

Sure, of course that is possible. If Jensen is playing better later in the season, sure, why not reward him? However, as it stands now. Of everyone on our AHL roster, Ouelett is the only definitive player who should be on the NHL team now.

No one thinks Jensen deserves an NHL spot right now because of his speed and RH shot. Some people think he might deserve a shot, depending on how things stand at the time of a potential call-up. He's in the discussion, and his speed is a factor, and that's the point. How it stands at this instant is not really relevant, because no one is about to be called up, as far as any of us know.

I understand the Jensen love and having favorite prospects, but we should be objective about this.

This makes it sound as if people are irrationally biased toward Jensen. I have not see that, at least not in this thread.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Teams have been known to call up players because of specific attributes they bring to the table, while another player whom people perceive as better stays behind. It's not uncommon, and it's not silly.

No one thinks Jensen deserves an NHL spot right now because of his speed and RH shot. Some people think he might deserve a shot, depending on how things stand at the time of a potential call-up. He's in the discussion, and his speed is a factor, and that's the point. How it stands at this instant is not really relevant, because no one is about to be called up, as far as any of us know.

This makes it sound as if people are irrationally biased toward Jensen. I have not see that, at least not in this thread.

I've been banging the drum for Jensen for awhile now, so I'll step in here, too. It's not always about being the "best" player but about having the game that will most easily transition and being the most "ready." Oulett might have a better tool set, but he might not have all of the tools put in the tool box just right yet.

Jensen, at least to me, has a game that will more easily transfer to the NHL, he's older, he's more physically mature, and he's a right handed shot. I don't think it should surprise anyone if he gets a look this year over some more heralded prospects.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I love the havoc our guys can cause with their speed, and as someone else mentioned ITT it'll only get better and more fun to watch when we get a D corp that can move the puck better.

I think the bolded might be an exaggeration, good to great skater (+ a couple elite ones) on every D- pair and line? Sure. but elite/borderline elite? I don't buy that.

In my books Helm and Nyquist are the only true elite skaters on the team (Jensen would be the 3rd if he made the team), and while all 3 on the kid line are above average skaters I don't think I'd consider any of them border line elite. Same goes for Glendening/Miller on the 4th line, Kronwall on the 1st pair, and DD/Smith on the 2nd pair.

:dunno: or maybe we just have a different definition of elite.

Kronwall has probably faded out of this so borderline was generous, I think Smith is borderline in terms of this he is one of the better skating D-man and looks to be regaining some of his stride and shiftiness of a couple years back. We will see but they are guys that stress out teams with their skating ability all over the lineup. Glendening will continue to get better the guy improves almost every game and his speed and forecheck are extremely annoying.

We will see, I think it provides a speed element to each line and pairing if Jensen draws in, certainly Jensen is in the elite category just about anyway you want to cut it in terms of skating. Most importantly we would have very few weak skaters. I also find this to be fairly contagious in terms of everybody starts playing with more pace when it starts to spread through the lineup like that and it is something we have lacked for several years.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Sure, I said that's true.

No one thinks Jensen deserves an NHL spot right now because of his speed and RH shot.

Ouelette does though.
Some people think he might deserve a shot, depending on how things stand at the time of a potential call-up. He's in the discussion, and his speed is a factor, and that's the point. How it stands at this instant is not really relevant, because no one is about to be called up, as far as any of us know.

People certainly were penciling him into their opening night rosters after pre-season if you go back.

People were hyped on his pre-season performance.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I've been banging the drum for Jensen for awhile now, so I'll step in here, too. It's not always about being the "best" player but about having the game that will most easily transition and being the most "ready." Oulett might have a better tool set, but he might not have all of the tools put in the tool box just right yet.

Jensen, at least to me, has a game that will more easily transfer to the NHL, he's older, he's more physically mature, and he's a right handed shot. I don't think it should surprise anyone if he gets a look this year over some more heralded prospects.

Erm. I couldn't disagree more with any of this, especially the bolded.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sure, I said that's true.

Ouelette does though.

People certainly were penciling him into their opening night rosters after pre-season if you go back.

Some people have thought Jensen was a good player all along not just because of the pre-season. Speed is certainly a factor in that, reminds me a ton of fellow SCSU alumni Hedican.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ouelette does though.

To be clear, I want Kindl gone and Ouellet in the lineup. But I don't see that happening. Best case for Ouellet, there will be injuries and he'll see a call-up or two. But under that scenario, so too will Jensen I bet. Because while Ouellet is currently a little ahead of Jensen, in terms of who would instantly be the better NHL defenseman, it's not a wide gap by any means. And when you consider Jensen is a better skater, more physical, and a RH shot, the Wings would be remiss not to get him a look this year as well, imo. So, under these circumstances, both players will deserve a shot.

Well, I can't speak to that, I'll take your word for it. I think Jensen currently sits at #9 on our depth chart. I think he should probably be #7.

Kronwall
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Smith
Quincey
Ouellet
Jensen
Kindl
Lashoff
Marchenko
Sproul
Backman

Well, justifiably so, right? He did, after all, have a good camp and preseason. Again, I think most people talking about Jensen are indeed being objective about him.

I saw Jensen in a dozen or so of his college games, and a handful of Griffs games last year. I've always liked his skill-set and have long considered him a potential NHLer. He seems to be getting closer and closer to that realization. I'm not surprised.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Jensen likely would've been higher up on more people's radar had he been healthy all of last year - I have no issue with people believing him to be at or near Ouellet's readiness, despite being a huge Ouellet fan myself.

I don't understand the Jensen backlash that has been floating around on our board for the last ~month. I recall there was a post made in the generic "who makes the team for opening night?" thread that needed to be edited by a mod because it was so anti-Jensen. What gives? He had a great camp.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Jensen likely would've been higher up on more people's radar had he been healthy all of last year - I have no issue with people believing him to be at or near Ouellet's readiness, despite being a huge Ouellet fan myself.

I don't understand the Jensen backlash that has been floating around on our board for the last ~month. I recall there was a post made in the generic "who makes the team for opening night?" thread that needed to be edited by a mod because it was so anti-Jensen. What gives? He had a great camp.

It's just a simple case of favoring a certain prospect, in this case Ouellet. So when such fans see and hear people talking about another prospect they get very defensive and attempt to downgrade the player who's "challenging" their favorite.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Glendening sure has gotten quicker.

Yeah for sure, and I think his stride looks a bit longer as well. It really stuck out to me when juxtaposed against Cally's and Ferraro's skating during the pre-season. He just looked more authoritative in that department. Good on both him and Nesty for making big strides in that department. It isn't easy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We'll get even more use of said speed when we have better Ds to give the forwards the puck in better spots.

Exactly, add some d-men who are strong skaters who can make a good first pass and look out, this team is going to be able to destroy forechecks. Just gotta trim the deadweight and make a trade or two. The defense is probably worse than the opening night lineup at forward last year. Worst Red Wings defense I've seen in a very, very long time. Kronwall in particular has gotten off to an awful start. MOD if Kronwall is as bad as he's looked this year we're going to have a lot of games like this last one against Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad