InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Figured this deserved its own thread. Let's talk about the speed movement of the Wings and how the head coach has caught on that youth and fast legs can make all the difference.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
In the games I've seen and been to this year already, it's a substantially a quicker team for sure. Makes watching a lot more exciting.

Absolutely. In the article, Babcock talks about how the team is running practices faster than they have run since 2009.

In unrelated news, I thought one of the Facebook comments on the article was funny...

What's more strange: a Red Wings team with speed or a Detroit Lions team with a legitimate defense?

:laugh:

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Speed is definitely the wings biggest strength.

Evident through the first 2 games that its going to become a big problem for teams in the future

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's amazing what happens when you drop the dead weight. You get better and faster in a hurry.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
We'll get even more use of said speed when we have better Ds to give the forwards the puck in better spots.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I know we keep saying it, but the bottom 6 last year compared to the bottom 6 this year is just night and day.

The 3rd line of Cleary - Andersson - Bertuzzi that Babcock started with last year will forever haunt me.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I know we keep saying it, but the bottom 6 last year compared to the bottom 6 this year is just night and day.

The 3rd line of Cleary - Andersson - Bertuzzi that Babcock started with last year will forever haunt me.

If only we had started with

Nyquist-Joker-Tats

Probably are a 6th or 7th seed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really think if Jensen became the 6th D-man at some point this season this would reach an exceptional level. Would give you an elite to boarder-line elite skater on every D-pair and on every line. That is difficult to deal with for 60 minutes and even more so in the + time you see in overtimes and especially in playoff overtimes.

It is a lot of fun to watch them play this way and it matches the way the rules have gone.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Figured this deserved its own thread. Let's talk about the speed movement of the Wings and how the head coach has caught on that youth and fast legs can make all the difference.

Amazing, yes? :laugh:

Honestly, I could barely stay awake during some of those games last year until the kids were brought up. It was much more fun with them in the game.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I really think if Jensen became the 6th D-man at some point this season this would reach an exceptional level. Would give you an elite to boarder-line elite skater on every D-pair and on every line. That is difficult to deal with for 60 minutes and even more so in the + time you see in overtimes and especially in playoff overtimes.

It is a lot of fun to watch them play this way and it matches the way the rules have gone.

Why would we play Jensen over Ouelett? That seems silly considering Ouelett is a better hockey player.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Why would we play Jensen over Ouelett? That seems silly considering Ouelett is a better hockey player.

This thread is about speed, so given that topic, pining for Jensen is not that strange. Plus, he's a right-handed shot. It all depends on what you're looking for, but Jensen offers qualities that Ouellet doesn't have, so it's not as simple as saying, "Ouellet is better."

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Well, they're both in the AHL right now so if down the line Jensen is playing better why would we call up Ouellet? Just because he's Ouellet?

It's not that far-fetched to think that Jensen could get the call up if he's playing at a similar level to Ouellet. His right-handedness and skating certainly help his cause.

Chunkylover

Aug 17, 2008
Michigan
A lot of people are emphasizing the young legs, but he seemed to be talking about quicker brains. He seemed to be saying the young legs are actually the ones that improved, not just the dumping of veterans.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think he is talking about both. Firstly we are a much faster team now due to the young guys. Andersson and Cleary are really the only two slow players on the team, and even they are improved. Franzen looks like he is in shape for the first time in years (I remember going to some of the free practices at the Joe after the lockout and he looked horribly winded after even minor skating), Z is finally healthy, and we have a full time Helm in the lineup atm. So yes the team is a lot faster from top to bottom.

We are also a lot faster mentally. The kids have had a good season at the NHL level and can now practice at an NHL pace. I think this is why Nyquist, Sheahan, and Tats have all looked really solid, while Nesty and Jurco look a bit slower. The first 3 are fully NHL players, they no longer over think everything. They did last year after their initial high of making the NHL, but then settled in at the end of the last year. Then the playoffs hit and they started overthinking again. It doesn't do you any good to be able to fly on skates if your head is two plays behind, you just end up skating into traffic.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I still see the Hudler-Modano-Cleary from 2010 in my nightmares.

And that was when Cleary was still useful.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This thread is about speed, so given that topic, pining for Jensen is not that strange. Plus, he's a right-handed shot. It all depends on what you're looking for, but Jensen offers qualities that Ouellet doesn't have, so it's not as simple as saying, "Ouellet is better."
Of course it is, because Ouelett is the better hockey player. I'm aware many people around here have a ***** for Jensen after the preseason and I'm aware Mickey was raving about him, but just because he has a right handed shot and is fast, does not mean he deserves an NHL spot right now, especially over Ouelette. I'm not even convinced Jensen deserves a spot over Marchenko yet.

Well, they're both in the AHL right now so if down the line Jensen is playing better why would we call up Ouellet? Just because he's Ouellet?

It's not that far-fetched to think that Jensen could get the call up if he's playing at a similar level to Ouellet. His right-handedness and skating certainly help his cause.

Sure, of course that is possible. If Jensen is playing better later in the season, sure, why not reward him? However, as it stands now. Of everyone on our AHL roster, Ouelett is the only definitive player who should be on the NHL team now.

I understand the Jensen love and having favorite prospects, but we should be objective about this.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I love the havoc our guys can cause with their speed, and as someone else mentioned ITT it'll only get better and more fun to watch when we get a D corp that can move the puck better.

I really think if Jensen became the 6th D-man at some point this season this would reach an exceptional level. Would give you an elite to boarder-line elite skater on every D-pair and on every line.

I think the bolded might be an exaggeration, good to great skater (+ a couple elite ones) on every D- pair and line? Sure. but elite/borderline elite? I don't buy that.

In my books Helm and Nyquist are the only true elite skaters on the team (Jensen would be the 3rd if he made the team), and while all 3 on the kid line are above average skaters I don't think I'd consider any of them border line elite. Same goes for Glendening/Miller on the 4th line, Kronwall on the 1st pair, and DD/Smith on the 2nd pair.

:dunno: or maybe we just have a different definition of elite.

Actual Thought*

A late arrival. This article should have been posted at the beginning of last season, not this one.

I don't buy that. Veteran players play fast with their minds. Most young players don't. A bunch of the youngsters needed a year to get up to speed and they should improve as the season progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad