Babcock allegedly asking for player's phone and showing images on his office TV. CBJ investigating UPD Babcock resigns

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Unless there was something in the investigation that might have led to some criminal investigation or even a lawsuit, what's in it for Babcock to resign. So what's in it for him to fall on his sword? Did the Jackets offer him a one-time payment to go away? Has anyone asked that question of the club?

Club is almost certainly going to refuse to answer such a question.

So if Babcock refuses to resign he can dare CBJ to fire him. If CBJ fires him they can either agree to pay him the value of his salary (reportedly $4 mil x 2 years), or ague it's a "with cause" termination. CBJ isn't poor (we're not talking Arizona here), but they are a value franchise so it seems unlikely they'd want to be on the hook for that $8 million.

I would suspect that they probably came to some agreement where Babcock gets somewhere between nothing and $8 million (how's that for expert analysis) in exchange for Babcock walking away.

What's in it for Babcock? He probably doesn't really need the money - his total compensation from TML was $50 mil, plus whatever he earned during his time in Detroit. He probably wants to try and save what's left of his reputation, which is clearly in tatters. Even though I would suspect he's done as an NHL coach, he's only 60 so may well hope that someday he can make his way back to the NHL. A long and public fight with CBJ would only hurt the chance of that happening.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Club is almost certainly going to refuse to answer such a question.
Of course they're going to refuse to answer, but it's still a question I would want a journalist to ask. Sometimes the way people refuse to answer actually gives you information.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of time thanking the guilty party and not the players for making this known

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
(Paywall, ya cheapskates.)
Pascal Vincent got a new two-year contract last week when he was promoted by the Blue Jackets to head coach, replacing Mike Babcock. On Monday, the team announced that Mark Recchi will be joining his staff.

As for Babcock, though he did step down, he also got some form of payment as part of the exit agreement, although no one connected to it has been willing to say how much. He signed a two-year, $8 million deal when he was named head coach July 1.

Kinda what I expected. Babcock accepted a partial payout of his contract to go away quietly rather than stick to his guns. It also makes me suspect there wasn't enough to fire him.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What's in it for Babcock? He probably doesn't really need the money - his total compensation from TML was $50 mil, plus whatever he earned during his time in Detroit. He probably wants to try and save what's left of his reputation, which is clearly in tatters. Even though I would suspect he's done as an NHL coach, he's only 60 so may well hope that someday he can make his way back to the NHL. A long and public fight with CBJ would only hurt the chance of that happening.

Is this why most Toronto media can't stand the guy?

I listen to TSN Overdrive on my ride home, and they REALLY loathe the guy - even before this current scandal. Not trying to be OT, but besides the Marner ordeal, I can't think of any other reason as to why he seems to be hated - AND his successes are downplayed.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Is this why most Toronto media can't stand the guy?

I listen to TSN Overdrive on my ride home, and they REALLY loathe the guy - even before this current scandal. Not trying to be OT, but besides the Marner ordeal, I can't think of any other reason as to why he seems to be hated - AND his successes are downplayed.

So here's what I could find from his Wiki page:

Former defenceman Mike Commodore has been a critic of Babcock, stemming from Commodore's days in the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim's farm system. Among many different accusations of mistreatment, Commodore alleged that Babcock held him back in Cincinnati because Babcock was personally biased against him, doing the same thing a decade later in Detroit after reassuring Commodore before the season that he would get playing time.[48] Babcock addressed Commodore's criticisms in an appearance on Cam Janssen's podcast in March 2021, stating that Commodore was scratched because he did not perform better than other defenders on the 2011 team—he claimed that he did not recall much interacting with Commodore in Cincinnati—and refuted that Commodore was scratched because of a personal vendetta.[49] Commodore rejected this in a Tweet, saying Babcock "said the exact opposite on the phone July 1, 2011 you piece of shit."[50]

Other players have also voiced criticism of Babcock for his management style and his treatment of his players. Johan Franzén, who played for Babcock in Detroit, praised Babcock's preparation and tactical acuity as a coach, but called him a "terrible man, the worst person I've ever met," and accused Babcock of verbally abusing him, which was corroborated by former teammate Chris Chelios.[51] Babcock was accused of mistreating Mitch Marner during his rookie season, by asking him to rank his teammates in order of their work ethic and later sharing the list with other members of the team. Babcock confirmed the incident after it was reported, expressing his regret and stating that he had apologized to Marner at the time.[52] While covering Babcock's resignation from the Blue Jackets on their podcast Spittin' Chiclets, Paul Bissonnette and Ryan Whitney described him as "a truly bad person" and his coaching methods as personally-directed psychological abuse with questionable relevance to hockey itself.[53] They contrasted Babcock with John Tortorella, another coach who is notoriously tough on his players, by noting that Tortorella's methods are hockey related and he treats his players respectfully when off of the ice.[53]

Babcock has been accused of scratching players ahead of games that are of personal significance, such as removing Mike Modano from the lineup prior to his 1500th game,[54] benching Chelios at the 2009 Winter Classic in his hometown of Chicago, and not playing Jason Spezza in the Maple Leafs opening night game against his former team the Ottawa Senators.[55]

His brief tenure with the Columbus Blue Jackets was marked by controversy after it was first reported that he had asked players in pre-season meetings to look through photos on their personal phones. Although the team and captain Boone Jenner initially downplayed the alleged incidents, an investigation by the NHLPA revealed that several of the younger members of the Blue Jackets were uncomfortable with Babcock's approach, and that in at least one instance, Babcock spent several minutes looking through a player's phone.[56] The controversy resulted in Babcock announcing his resignation before coaching a game for the Blue Jackets.[56]

Babcock's coaching methodologies, personality, and interpersonal interactions have reportedly led to the coach being broadly unpopular among hockey players and several hockey circles.[30][27][57][58] Revelations around Babcock's behaviour have been seen as broadly hurting his reputation publicly since 2019, as although Babcock's coaching acumen has been generally praised as being superior to contemporaries (at times, being seen as the best coach in the sport),[30] his off-putting personality has been regarded as a turnoff for employment opportunities and his overall professional legacy.[30][27]

So it does sound like he's just a deeply unpleasant man who gets off on being a jerk to people (like healthy scratching good players for games that would be meaningful to them).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad