Confirmed with Link: [AZ/TOR] Conor Timmins to Toronto for Curtis Douglas

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The whining on PHNX about this trade ... some of the takes on that pod are outstandingly stupid.

Above all else, Bill Armstrong's best move may have been firing Steve Peters.
it all depends if Timmins turns it around and becomes a top 4 guy. We are tanking. What's the issue if use a roster spot on him versus Dyson Mayo (who has regressed back to an AHL player who just happens to have a one way deal).

Do I think the concussion and knee issues are a big concern long-term (ie. even if he was lights out the rest of the season I'm not signing him to an 8 year deal if I'm Toronto)? You have to. I do think the comparisons to Gormely are legitimate no matter how excited some of us are/were as to Timmins potential when he was drafted.

At the end of the day I come back to this. When we picked up Valimaki on waivers it likely meant that someone else could get pushed out. Timmins is that guy. This is a risk BA made and he should be judged accordingly with how it turns out. I think that's fair.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not excited by the return. Guy is barely an AHLer.

As other said, we likely were losing Timmins anyway and his injury history means he cant be depended on. Hope he does ok in Toronto. Not too well. TML fans will gloat enough if he simply plays.

Sure wish we had landed Barron instead (wishful thinking maybe but Colorado traded him to Montreal).

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
it all depends if Timmins turns it around and becomes a top 4 guy. We are tanking. What's the issue if use a roster spot on him versus Dyson Mayo (who has regressed back to an AHL player who just happens to have a one way deal).

Do I think the concussion and knee issues are a big concern long-term (ie. even if he was lights out the rest of the season I'm not signing him to an 8 year deal if I'm Toronto)? You have to. I do think the comparisons to Gormely are legitimate no matter how excited some of us are/were as to Timmins potential when he was drafted.

At the end of the day I come back to this. When we picked up Valimaki on waivers it likely meant that someone else could get pushed out. Timmins is that guy. This is a risk BA made and he should be judged accordingly with how it turns out. I think that's fair.
I rather compare Timmins to Valimaki. He is the one that "pushed him out".

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not excited by the return. Guy is barely an AHLer.

As other said, we likely were losing Timmins anyway and his injury history means he cant be depended on. Hope he does ok in Toronto. Not too well. TML fans will gloat enough if he simply plays.

Sure wish we had landed Barron instead (wishful thinking maybe but Colorado traded him to Montreal).
He's a big 6'9" C. Big players like that you would hate to play against. Especially in a checking role and especially if they can become an effective PK. 1 for 1 as prospects we lost this trade. If this guy can develop enough that he becomes a 4th line role player with the main squad then at least we got something. It all depends on development and that clock starts now.

Reactions: zerekstar

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Couldn’t we have given them the Nick Ritchie picks back with Timmins and got Robertson instead of Douglas?

Robertson is 5'9" and would help us win now which we don't want to really do.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I never saw Timmins as more than a dice roll when we got him from the Avs. The real prize was the first rounder (Lamoureux) and everything else was gravy.

As it stands, I like our other young, bottom-pair D like Mayo, Valimaki, Koly, and Dineen, better than Timmins.

Reactions: Heldig

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Couldn’t we have given them the Nick Ritchie picks back with Timmins and got Robertson instead of Douglas?

The Leafs couldn't get rid of Ritchie fast enough, he couldn't play top lines. While he has been a pleasant surprise in AZ I still doubt he can play top lines.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The whining on PHNX about this trade ... some of the takes on that pod are outstandingly stupid.

Above all else, Bill Armstrong's best move may have been firing Steve Peters.
I never watch the three stooges.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kolychon-however you spell it is more exciting to me than Timmins ever was, but never have had super high expectations from either
I was a fan of Kolyachonok in the OHL and was pumped when we acquired him. Timmins was a nice long shot bonus with the first. And unexpected freebie

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs fan coming in peace. Last year, I was one of the first on the Douglas bandwagon. He is huge, put up .5 PPG even strength in bottom six minutes on the Marlies. He was working on his skating, which needs further work for him to take the next step. He showed passion, could fight. What’s not to like.

Many, myself included were hoping he could be a future 4C.

But this year…. The skating regressed, the fire wasn’t there and one secondary assist.

Maybe a change of scenery will light the fire again, I don’t know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad