Confirmed with Link: [AZ/PHI] Shayne Gostisbehere, a 2022 2nd, and a 2022 7th from PHI for one US dollar

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Has any team given up an unprotected 1st round pick in the last couple years? Seems like now they all come with some stipulation to protect if someone finishes in the top 10 or higher or wins the lottery?
Ottawa used San Jose’s 3rd overall pick in 2020 from the Erik Karlsson trade to select Tim Stutzle.

The year prior, Colorado selected Bo Byram 4th overall with Ottawa’s pick from the Matt Duchene trade.

These two deals probably explain why GMs now seem so shy about failing to protect 1sts.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Ottawa used San Jose’s 3rd overall pick in 2020 from the Erik Karlsson trade to select Tim Stutzle.

The year prior, Colorado selected Bo Byram 4th overall with Ottawa’s pick from the Matt Duchene trade.

These two deals probably explain why GMs now seem so shy about failing to protect 1sts.

Yeah how crazy was the outcome on both of these. Ottawa going from conference finalist to bottom three. SJ then doing from playoffa to bottom five. I felt so bad for Ottawa fans when Colorado was selecting Byram, but it turned out pretty alright them.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Some of the decision on moving Shayne may also be based on his influence on the young players. How much is he driving the growth and respect around him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Some of the decision on moving Shayne may also be based on his influence on the young players. How much is he driving the growth and respect around him.
BA will probably just set what he thinks the price needs to be (high) and if no one meets it, he’ll do the same the following deadline. Seems to be his m.o.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
BA will probably just set what he thinks the price needs to be (high) and if no one meets it, he’ll do the same the following deadline. Seems to be his m.o.
I'm cool with that, though at this point, I'm not opposed to keeping him more long term. He's playing really well and showing he has a better 200 foot game than I think most suspected. He's tied with Hughes and Shattenkirk for points on one of the worst offenses in the NHL. Technically, NYI are the worst scoring team but I suspect that will change before the end of the year, they have a lot more talent than us.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Unless he is sour of waiting too long to trade OEL. We could still have Garland of he had taken what was offered two offseasons ago. Waited too long and OEL's play continued to decline. A late 1st is intriguing for Ghost especially when it is more clear of where our other 1sts may land. Ghost is playing like he is worth more than a late 1st right now. Maybe BA can pull another Kuemper level trade because has the best available defenseman who is practically risk free.

He would sure look good on the Captials, or Toronto or Boston.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Based on his reputation before he arrived here, I was expecting Ghost to be a total pylon out there in his own end. It's been a pleasant surprise to see how savvy he is with his stick checks and his ability to keep attackers in front of him with his mobility. He's not an elite shutdown defenseman, but he's at least average in his own end.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Based on his reputation before he arrived here, I was expecting Ghost to be a total pylon out there in his own end. It's been a pleasant surprise to see how savvy he is with his stick checks and his ability to keep attackers in front of him with his mobility. He's not an elite shutdown defenseman, but he's at least average in his own end.

He's not a good defender (he's not as terrible as I thought we were getting), but as long as he's paired with a reliable partner, he's a net positive.

rt

May 13, 2004
More than halfway through and he's still pacing for 50 points and, correct me here if I'm wrong Yotes fans, he's been Arizona's best overall defenseman.

Ghost, a 1st, 2 2nds, and Robert Hagg for Rasmus freaking Ristolainen.

Chuck Fletcher, ladies and gentleman.
He’s been the team’s best defenseman, yes. He’s been the team’s best skater, apart from Keller. The top three MVP candidates would be Keller, Gostisbehere and Vejmelka.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He’s been the team’s best defenseman, yes. He’s been the team’s best skater, apart from Keller. The top three MVP candidates would be Keller, Gostisbehere and Vejmelka.

I'm honestly just glad he got to an organization that wasn't actively trying to sabotage his career.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

May 13, 2004
3bHjyq9.png
So underrated.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
If we can get a first for Ghost, I'd do it. It's great that he's rebounded so well here, but what if he does regress next season? That could end up being a missed opportunity i'd rather not miss.

Reactions: moosemeister

rt

May 13, 2004
If we can get a first for Ghost, I'd do it. It's great that he's rebounded so well here, but what if he does regress next season? That could end up being a missed opportunity i'd rather not miss.
That’s fair. I agree. I just don’t know that we’ll get a 1st. Teams usually overpay at the deadline for either brand name reputation players, players with playoff success, and big players with snarl. Gostisbehere is none of those things.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
A team would if they needed a PP QB, but I'd say that most of the teams already near the top have not 1, but 2 PP QBs, so I doubt whether Ghost could get a 1st...and I'd really like to keep him honestly, he's been great.

Besides our 1 line team, the only other guy providing offense has been Ghost.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It may be wishful thinking, but I personally wouldn't pass up a first if it were offered. Even 32nd OA. If it's 33rd or lower I keep him and reassess later on down the line.

Edit: If we want 1st OA next year it's probably best he isn't getting a ton of points for us anyways. I'm shocked how hard it is to be in last place lol. Next season it'll probably be even harder.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad