Confirmed with Link: [AZ/CBJ] Jon Gillies for Jakub Voracek (dead cap), 2023 6th round pick

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think maybe the part that annoys me most is that we actually sent the Jackets an asset (the pick, not Jon Gillies) to pick up this dead money.

EDIT: Never mind, it turns out that we got the 6th rounder, not the other way around. What a relief. :sarcasm:

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Now its down to a 6th and having to still pay some real money. Is this the 2nd lowest time in the team's history next to the bankruptcy?

I have to guess that Schmaltz and Keller are as good as gone if not by tomorrow, by the start of next season.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Can't afford to get rid of Schmaltz unless there is another insured high cap player

We would never hit the floor without Schmaltz

Forwards: $28.269
Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Maccelli/Cooley/Guenther (assuming Maccelli < $2m)
Crouse/McBain/Fischer
O'Brien/Boyd/Jenik

Defensemen: $7.313
Moser/Soderstrom
Valimaki/Brown
Kolyachonok/Nemeth

Goalies: $4.450
Veggie/Ingram (assuming Ingram < $2M

Total: $40.052
Cap Floor: $60.300

Cap Hits: $22.263
Voracek/Weber/Little/OEL

So now we're over the cap floor by roughly only $2m, so there is no way we can take out Schmaltz, they just have to go get another $6M player or pick up another high cap hit player with low end salary

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Can't afford to get rid of Schmaltz unless there is another insured high cap player

Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Crouse/McBain/Fischer
O'Brien/Boyd/Jenik

Moser/Soderstrom
Valimaki/Brown
Kolyachonok/Nemeth

Voracek/Weber/Little/OEL

So now we're over the cap floor by roughly only $2m, so there is no way we can take out Schmaltz, they just have to go get another $6M player or pick up another high cap hit player with low end salary
Did you forget Kassian?

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Understand something….

NO pro sports franchise can survive standing on its own. Not with today’s salaries, etc.

Yes, but as you know there's a substantive difference between, say, Manchester United getting $47M/year from TeamViewer to be able to afford Erling Haaland's £19,500,000/year salary, and this team, which looks like it's going to struggle to stay within $30M of the salary cap limit next season with a guy who is ostensibly one of the richest men in America sitting at the owner's desk.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Crouse/McBain/Fischer
O'Brien/Boyd/Jenik

Moser/Soderstrom
Valimaki/Brown
Kolyachonok/Nemeth

Voracek/Weber/Little/OEL

The cap is the average for the entire season. If a team is under the cap ceiling they can add pro-rated contracts at the trade deadline and finish the season with a roster over the cap ceiling. For example the Rangers current roster is $85.3m

The same principle works in reverse. If a team was over the cap floor they can dump pro-rated contracts at the trade deadline and finish the season with a roster under the cap floor.

The Coyotes could currently move out $27m in contracts and still be cap compliant this season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Coyotes could currently move out $27m in contracts and still be cap compliant this season.

SCHMALTZ! CHO-EE-CHU!

72294535-bc08-43ed-9adf-8c8be6620286_screenshot.jpg

(This is easily the geekiest joke I've ever made on HFBoards.)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think we're approaching the point here where the league might actually start looking at changing how these dead cap deals work if we keep pushing it. I'm not saying it's gonna happen tomorrow or even in the next year but the obvious groundswell of negativity coming from these types of deals is increasing and not just from cranks on the internet.

I expected some pain. I was expecting more ghost, nemeth etc and not players who will never play for us. All for a 6th round pick?

Yes it's quite a bit more palatable when we're getting an actual player who will suit up here, even if it's someone undesirable.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have no problem doing these types of deals after the league f***ed us on the draft measurements scandal.

I don’t think we’re broke. I think the challenge is hitting the cap floor with so many ELCs next year. I have no interest in big ticket UFAs who are past their prime.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I hate this shit. Seravalli says this gives us flexibility to get rid of core pieces like schmaltz and crouse as needed.

If we trade Crouse for no reason other than finances I will seriously question the future of this franchise
I'm calling us dead-man-walking if we trade Crouse/Keller/Schmaltz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad