Proposal: AZ-Carolina Kuemper

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a Coyotes fan with zero hope for our coaching staff and zero hope for our roster, I'd probably do it. I don't think our GM Bill Armstrong would do it, though.

I like Drury but he doesn't quite have the elite brand equity, and there's no shiny new 1st round pick included. These are things that don't trouble me too much personally, but I can see it being a problem for Armstrong. He ultimately turned down OEL for Jake Virtanen, Brandon Sutter, a 2021 1st and a 2nd round pick (not sure if 2021 or 2022) because he wanted Podkolzin or Hoglander in the deal. So I see him being similarly unwilling to do this deal, which is a couple of lesser pieces, rather than a big prize.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Good proposal but I don’t believe Arizona wants to take back any salary especially since it’s a goalie coming back the other way.

Yotes might want to run with Raanta, Hill and Prosvetov

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Good proposal but I don’t believe Arizona wants to take back any salary especially since it’s a goalie coming back the other way.

Cap has to go back. Salary wise there isn’t much left for reimer

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I can see the rationale though. The Canes would need something to go back to fit Keumper under the cap as they don't have the cap space. The benefit of Reimer is that his bonus is already paid, so the only real salary coming back $850K, which will be even less once pro-rated for a shortened season so it's truly minimal salary coming back.

rt

May 13, 2004

Reimer is due only a million dollars in actual cash because of bonuses already paid. I'd like to give Reimer and opportunity with Cory Schwab as his goalie coach. He might improve. Reimer and Raanta are both renowned team guys, too. Would probably be amenable to a three headed goalie monster with Adin Hill. Probably advantageous given what's certain to be a condensed schedule. Having three decent goalies is appealing for this season.

Reactions: qqaz

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree with those saying the value seems a tad low. But the problem is making the 2nd a 1st produces too much value going to AZ. What happens to the value if we replace the 2nd with Bean? He's probably worth more than a 2021 2nd but probably less than a 2021 1st, right? Would Reimer+Bean+Drury for Kuemper be fair? It seems to me that Carolina doesn't really have room for Bean, anyhow?

Maybe I'm misreading Bean's value and opportunity with Carolina. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Just checked some recent top prospect ranking articles from various blogs and see that Bean is more highly thought of than I thought. I figured he was close to last-chance-ville but it seems he's pretty consistently still ranked in the top 3-5 prospects in Carolina's system. So that probably won't work.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I agree with those saying the value seems a tad low. But the problem is making the 2nd a 1st produces too much value going to AZ. What happens to the value if we replace the 2nd with Bean? He's probably worth more than a 2021 2nd but probably less than a 2021 1st, right? Would Reimer+Bean+Drury for Kuemper be fair? It seems to me that Carolina doesn't really have room for Bean, anyhow?

Maybe I'm misreading Bean's value and opportunity with Carolina. What do you guys think?

Reimer + Bean for Kuemper
Reimer + 2021 1st for Kuemper

Those seem fair enough to me. Reimer + Bean + Drury is overkill.

The Canes may not appear to have room for Bean but it is almost assured they will lose one of Skjei, Bean, or Fleury in the expansion draft so it would be beneficial for them to hold onto their LHD depth. Bean probably won't like it but he has another year of waiver exemption so he can marinate further in the AHL.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
For some reason I have a soft spot for the 'Yotes even as a Kings fan, so I'd hope they could get more for Kuemper. I'm not saying the value is far off, just that the Canes have a wealth of prospects and young assets that I'd hope they'd ask for if Carolina came calling rather than a pick.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
To Carolina: Kuemper

To AZ: Reimer + Drury + '21 2nd

If that’s all it took I’d imagine he would have been moved already.

also if he’s available around this price I’d want Holland to jump into the mix and top this offer.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If that’s all it took I’d imagine he would have been moved already.

also if he’s available around this price I’d want Holland to jump into the mix and top this offer.
Don't think Holland will be jumping now that he has given NMC to his backup goalie while the starter has a NTC.
He also has no cap room and neither does ARI.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Seems a little light to me for Kuemper.

Maybe scratch the 2nd and throw in a lot better prospect? Not saying Drury is not good but maybe a prospect more developed and almost ready to push for a roster spot.

rt

May 13, 2004
Bokk instead?
Bokk was a Bill Armstrong selection and I know he was really high on him. If I recall correctly, BA was the one who advocated that St. Louis trade pick #76 in order to move up to #25 from #29 to get him. He said at the time that Bokk would require patience. Doug Armstrong moved him before they had a chance to be patient. I imagine Bill Armstrong would like to re-acquire Bokk, for sure.

I'd personally do Kuemper for Reimer, Bokk, and a 2nd. No doubt.

EDIT:
I believe @Kaibur is likely aiming for Drury because he's a center, however. Bokk is a winger. So I'm not sure the OP will like this as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Bokk was a Bill Armstrong selection and I know he was really high on him. If I recall correctly, BA was the one who advocated that St. Louis trade pick #76 in order to move up to #25 from #29 to get him. He said at the time that Bokk would require patience. Doug Armstrong moved him before they had a chance to be patient. I imagine Bill Armstrong would like to re-acquire Bokk, for sure.

So, Reimer, 2nd, and Bokk for Kuemper?

That works?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad