Prospect Info: Axel Andersson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I actually liked andersson a lot and was a guy i hoped we targeted.... hopefully he pans out for us.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Another tweener type and another swede obviously.... Doesnt look like a shut down guy and hasn't dominated offensively. Hope he pans out to be more than a good SHL player.

Reactions: Dmang714

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Long as he is better than Guhle.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wheeler doesn't think he has a high chance of being an NHL player. Hope he is wrong! Always trust in Madden.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

In this short video Andersson displays very good skating ability, soft hands and even a sniper's mentality for the one timer. It's also worth to note that he's had two years to grow since this video was posted.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Good D prospect

A little bit of a risk taker. But good skater. Played well in the world tourneys

Guessing it was between him and Lauzon but grabbing Axelsson is safer when dealing with expansion draft

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Axel Andersson, D, Anaheim (traded from Boston on Feb. 21)
Andersson may not have eye-popping numbers this season, but I would argue he’s looked better than his numbers suggest. He’s on a deep Moncton team and has often been on PP2 this season. He’s an above-average skater, he’s got good skill and his two-way hockey IQ is very good. He can make plays and kill rushes. He’s not a dazzler offensively, with the odd nice seam pass or exit being the extent of his flash. He has an NHL toolkit, it’s why he was a second-round pick, but given he’s never really been a true top player in recent years in league or international play; he’s more of a bubble NHL prospect for me at the moment. He was injured not too long ago but reports are it’s not a serious injury.

Reactions: Elvs

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Good hockey iq is something you either have or don't have, it's really not something you can get by practising.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That's good to hear since most were just mentioning his skating.

How does he compare to Mahura?

From what I gather of Andersson, he's not nearly as assertive as Mahura was in his age 19 season in junior. Mahura was quite a bulldog and all over the place almost as a 4th forward most of the time. Seems like Andersson might have a bit more maturity and composure to his game, maybe similar level of talent?

Haven't seen as much of Andersson myself so taking most of that from scouting reports etc

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Seems like better skating Larsson

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
A few thoughts from a Bruins fan who has tried to follow Andersson since he was drafted. I will admit that I haven't seen any of his Moncton games (only highlights) but I did watch him closely during two preseasons in Boston and the WJSS.

-- While many draft rankings had him going in the third or fourth round, supposedly the Bruins' Euro scouts were "pounding the table" for Axel when it was the B's turn to pick in the second round...so clearly their scouts thought highly of him.
-- He really impressed during his first preseason after being drafted...probably was the biggest surprise of camp that year. He was paired with Chara for a few games and looked like he belonged but a crowded blueline led to him being returned to Sweden.
-- He was pretty meh in the WJSS...you can read my assessment here. While Sweden had several high profile D this year at the WJC, the fact that Axel didn't get much consideration shows that he is a notch or two below the top Swedish D prospects.
-- His second preseason was fairly disappointing, especially when compared to his first. He looked much more tentative, mistake-prone...a.k.a. like an 19 year old playing in the NHL. He had the option of playing the AHL this year but it seemed like he wasn't ready for primetime in Providence so rather than have him sit in the press box they sent him to the QMJHL.
-- Craig Eagles (Craig Eagles (@Eags37) | Twitter) has had mostly good things to say about Axel's play in Moncton so far. If you scroll through his feed there are a couple different stories on Axel.
-- In terms of the player himself, he seems like a guy who doesn't do any one thing great but is OK at everything. He's not the fastest but he's not slow, he doesn't dazzle offensively but he can run the point on the PP, he isn't a shutdown D but he isn't a sieve. Perhaps he further develops in some of these areas but his absolute ceiling is probably a #4 D if I had to bet (which isn't bad)...more likely is probably a bottom pair D who chips in on the 2nd PP unit.
-- From Boston's standpoint, between Boston and Providence the D pipeline is pretty crowded so it was unlikely Axel would get a chance for several more years (if at all) so they could afford to trade him. I don't think you'll find too many Bruins fans heartbroken that Axel was traded but we know he can still turn into a solid NHLer and wish him the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad