Movies: Awards Season

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I know it has no chance at winning basically anything except Dern in supporting actress, but I think Marriage Story might have been my favourite movie of the year. I haven't gotten around to Parasite yet because it is hard to find anywhere for me but I am hoping to watch it before the awards ceremony.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I know it has no chance at winning basically anything except Dern in supporting actress, but I think Marriage Story might have been my favourite movie of the year. I haven't gotten around to Parasite yet because it is hard to find anywhere for me but I am hoping to watch it before the awards ceremony.

I know this is crazy counter intuitive given how all the votes have gone this season, but if I were betting on an upset, I would bet Scarlet Johansson beating Rene Zellweger. I don't think it'll happen, but that would be my bet if forced.

On the positive side, with two noms this year clearly voters like Johansson and recognizing her might be seen as an all encompassing honor. In past years where one actor got two nominations, they more often than not win one of the two (7/11 times). She's in that sweet spot age wise where voters really like to catch actresses, historically. Zellweger has an Oscar. Plus, it's a really good performance!

On the negative side, Hollywood loves a comeback and it loves a biopic and it really loves a "transformation" so Zellweger scratches a lot of historical itches.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it's easily my favorite of the Best Picture nominees. It doesn't have any shot at winning though.

I'll admit upfront that we can't accurately parse how much of a vote is for the actual performance and how much is because the person "deserves" it in a career sense. The Phoenix-Pitt-Dern trio is an interesting one because I think they're all good performances (though I'm a little cooler on Phoenix than some), and I don't think any are going to be a historical embarrassment in any way (HOOO-HA Al Pacino!). But all three undoubtedly feel like they're getting career votes as well. I get it, but it sorta bums me out too. I actually prefer three of the best actors to Phoenix and would vote Pesci over Pitt. Don't have a strong preference in supporting actress.

My big rooting interest is Parasite winning best picture (screenplay and director to a lesser degree). Probably getting my hopes up but it feels at least slightly possible. Picked up a few notable guild wins. Plus it seems like there really isn't an any anti-Parasite sentiment. I really struggle to think of the last time there was a movie that seems to be close to 100% positive sentiment. How or if that translates to Oscar votes, who knows. But certainly anecdotally I can't think of a single time I've heard or read someone saying "you know what kinda sucks ... Parasite." The trouble it's going to have with the Academy of course is that it's such an easy checkmark for International Film and I fear voters would rather spread the wealth than give it both International Film and Best Picture.

We'll see....

True but the whole backlash will be in the form of it simply being an international film. The whole concept that an international film can't win Best Picture is beyond insane and just completely illogical but if you read that idiotic voting rationale posted earlier in this thread, it's definitely something that exists.

I feel confident that it will be one of Hollywood, Parasite or 1917. 1917 would just feel like such a strange winner to me because it's really not saying anything at all and it's just a technical feat. I guess it's safe though.

I think Parasite would be a lock if it didn't have that international stigma, but that's such a huge obstacle to overcome. I'd be really interested to see where Roma finished last year. Realistically it was between that and Green Book so it would be interesting to see how many left Roma off or ranked it really low just because it was an international movie. I guess it had the whole Netflix stigma as well though.

Ultimately I just think that while Hollywood has a lot of backlash relative to the others, it's still safe enough to pick as Best Picture. It has the whole "about Hollywood" thing going for it as well as the whole "due" narrative for Tarantino.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, looking back I don't see why Green Book was a controversial choice at all. After Roma (international/Netflix detractors) the next favorite would have been The Favourite, which was way too weird to win and really didn't have any shot.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1917 has emerged as the favourite but the Academy has not been all that kind to favourites for best picture over the past decade or so. If there is going to be an upset in the major categories, that's where one might happen. Hopefully Parasite might benefit, but a better dark horse to my way of thinking is Once upon a Time in Hollywood. (That's a guess, not an endorsement).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
True but the whole backlash will be in the form of it simply being an international film. The whole concept that an international film can't win Best Picture is beyond insane and just completely illogical but if you read that idiotic voting rationale posted earlier in this thread, it's definitely something that exists.

I feel confident that it will be one of Hollywood, Parasite or 1917. 1917 would just feel like such a strange winner to me because it's really not saying anything at all and it's just a technical feat. I guess it's safe though.

I think Parasite would be a lock if it didn't have that international stigma, but that's such a huge obstacle to overcome. I'd be really interested to see where Roma finished last year. Realistically it was between that and Green Book so it would be interesting to see how many left Roma off or ranked it really low just because it was an international movie. I guess it had the whole Netflix stigma as well though.

Ultimately I just think that while Hollywood has a lot of backlash relative to the others, it's still safe enough to pick as Best Picture. It has the whole "about Hollywood" thing going for it as well as the whole "due" narrative for Tarantino.

The Artist was a French film and won Best Picture 9 years ago. It was not nominated in the Best Foreign Language Film category because, obviously, there was no language in it (save one word at the end). I think that that's the bigger issue, not a "stigma." The Academy voters may be hesitant to award a foreign film Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film. The latter gives them an opportunity to award two films instead of one.

It'd likely be the same if there were, say, a Best Historical Drama Film category. 1917 would be a lock for that and another film, like Marriage Story or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, might win Best Picture. That wouldn't seem fair to 1917 and it doesn't seem fair to foreign films, but that's the system and human behavior.

I think that, if you really want to open up Best Picture to foreign films, you should advocate for eliminating the Best Foreign Language Film category. In fact, there could be an argument that it's not really even necessary any more. Back when only 5 films were nominated for Best Picture, foreign films really needed their own category to get any recognition. Now, though, the Best Picture category can have up to 10 films and quite a few foreign films have made the list since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trap Jesus

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
never seen so many people rooting for a film like Parasite in past years (not just here, all online)

international film bias is tough..

I'm only betting on it because I'm a degenerate that gets MOONLIGHT flashbacks

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes it was. :laugh:

"The black is for the funeral I went to...for the feature film Cats"

"Honestly... I just don't have the balls."
Making fun of Cats has become such low hanging fruit. That she was actually in the movie only makes it a little funnier. Once you've laughed at the brutal reviews there's not much comedy there anymore.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's a lonely toast to A Hidden
Life, the best English-language movie of the year. Malick has kind of worn out his welcome, I guess, but he got this one right.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Joaquin definitely deserves the Oscar but the more I think about it, the more I want Leo to win. Really underrated performance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad