NHL Awards Day

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree. That's why the criteria might as well be changed. In no universe should "the defenseman who demonstrates the greatest all-around ability in his position" be someone who is -26, made 100+ turnovers, and had a laughable 33 hits. Just change the criteria to "the defenseman who demonstrates the greatest offensive ability in his position." The voting seems to be trending that way.

Remember, Paul Coffey won 3 Norris trophies.

And Randy Carlyle won one with a -16.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
:laugh:

Tumblr_l_1652296436972039.jpg

May 29, 2013
the biggest loser of the night was the producer of the show. That was awful to watch. Seemed like it just kept getting worse and worse as time went on. There's gotta be a lot more talent out there to employ than that. From top to bottom it was terrible.

Reactions: missingchicklet

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
the biggest loser of the night was the producer of the show. That was awful to watch. Seemed like it just kept getting worse and worse as time went on. There's gotta be a lot more talent out there to employ than that. From top to bottom it was terrible.
NHL Awards are always Maximum Cringe, but I don't think anything will ever be as bad as the decision to immediately follow up Jim Montgomery's speech about overcoming Alcoholism with a skit where they give beer to the audience.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's been terrible for as long as I can remember. They don't seem to care.

I feel bad for the players who have to suffer through it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
NHL Awards are always Maximum Cringe, but I don't think anything will ever be as bad as the decision to immediately follow up Jim Montgomery's speech about overcoming Alcoholism with a skit where they give beer to the audience.
That was beyond cringeworthy. Just mind boggling. And insulting.

I mean, maybe they didn't know what he was going to say, and had no way to stop it before the show went on, but giving free beer to the audience is just dumb anyway.

Especially in downtown Nashville.

Reactions: Alicat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I actually watched until the end to see who the producer was. Dempsey Productions, who have done a lot of previous NHL stuff as well as other awards shows.

I thought the show might be enjoyable since it was being held in Nashville. So much musical talent in that city, yet basically every act last night was fluff country that cannot sing a song if its lyrics don't involve drinking alcohol and/or having sex. At least throw in some acts that cross generations. Not everyone watching is a person who enjoys vapid fluff country. I get that's what is popular now with the younger crowd, but not everyone wants to listen to that stuff. Unreal that a show so heavy on music couldn't do better in Nashville out of all places. I assume much of the selection of acts has to do with promoting a certain act from a certain label. So whatever.

It was pretty obvious that Monty was going to get the Jack Adams. I guess it went over everyone's head that he has had very publicized issues related to alcohol addiction, so maybe featuring a song about drinking while girls passed out Solo cups full of presumably beer to the crowd might not be the best idea to feature right after the speech of a recovering alcoholic.

And the scripted panel foolishness and kid interviewing people were simply as cringy as possible. The NHL needs to drop the current production company and go in a different direction. The attendees and fans watching on TV deserve so much better. I'm not expecting high art at an awards ceremony, but I do want something that doesn't make me feel bad for everyone involved.

Reactions: Aeroforce

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
I was reading the main board thread just to see if they thought it was as much of a train wreck as we did (they did) but several people kept saying Pasta was drunk ("trashed"). I guess they've never been a brand new parent, because he looked really tired to me. Plus his mom accompanied him. I'll bet she's staying with them to visit her new grandbaby and help out. How they could possibly think Pasta would be drunk at a televised event where he's nominated for an award, with his mom beside him, is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad