GDT: Avs vs. Jets | 6 PM | Dec 12 | The Good Luck Thread

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
2llyk4w.gif

probably the greatest gif ever. He looks like a kid pretending to be an airplane by making the sounds.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's a pick-em with who to take out. I'd be disappointed if its Barrie, as he adds mobility to a generally slow defensive core. I'd guess Sarich and Holden to start, as I doubt they'd take out Guenin.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As a Jets fan I enjoyed the tilt last night (hate losing but oh well). In the new division the team I am going to enjoy watching us play against the most is Colorado for sure from a style perspective. You guys play a more aggressive game and let your talent breathe. Good to see we could help get Dutch out of his mini slump, we are good at that and he was beasting big time last night. Mac is the real deal, you guys are stacked up front for young game changers and it doesn't appear like you are overflowing with same talent level in the back end but there is no way you could have passed on MacKinnon because he has insane ability. I thought ROR looked very solid as well and am a little jealous we don’t have him on our team.

The best part though is having Roy in the MTS centre being Patrick. He was jumping up on the bench, he uses a high pitched whistle when players stay out on a shift too long and once they come off he gets in their ear and tunes them. Screaming at the refs, fist pumping with the late goal in the 2nd period....guy is full on entertainment and has the team playing well. Usually we like to get on the other teams star player and goalie but Roy is so much larger than life that I see him being the main target of our fans heckling and from what I can see he seems to relish it.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Let's take a look at our record when Duchene scores a point.

Scores:

12-3-0

Doesn't Score:

9-6-0

It's not as big a disparity as I think it will be by the end of the year. But it's definitely interesting. A lot of those wins when Duchy doesn't score are the result of a big night by someone else (Landy, Staz, etc).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
BTW, it seems as though Roy got the bench penalty for abussing the ref during the tv timeout, not for taking to long to put his guys on the ice like the Jets crew said.

Which is just another shining example of how pathetic those refs were. To call a penalty for the coach yelling at you when no one is watching, and you're not getting embarrassed or anything is just a plain power trip call. All the ref has to do is skate away like an adult, not stand right there and then get all sensitive because the coach isn't happy with your crap work on the ice.

To make that chincy ass call, and then let go about ten other legit penalties, including the O'Reilly one where he got tripped trying to get the puck out of his zone, and Duchene getting hauled down on a breakaway only to have the ref put his hand up and then change his mind, just shows how completely unprofessional and terrible these officials are at their jobs.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
BTW, it seems as though Roy got the bench penalty for talking too much to the ref during the tv timeout, not for taking to long to put his guys on the ice like the Jets crew said.

Which is just another shining example of how pathetic those refs were. To call a penalty for the coach yelling at you when no one is watching, and you're not getting embarrassed or anything is just a plain power trip call.

To make that chincy ass call, and then let go about ten other legit penalties, including the O'Reilly one where he got tripped trying to get the puck out of his zone, and Duchene getting hauled down on a breakaway only to have the ref put his hand up and then change his mind, just shows how completely unprofessional and terrible these officials are at their jobs.

Did that really happen? I was at work and missed the entire frigging game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did that really happen? I was at work and missed the entire frigging game.

Yes, everyone seemingly had the same reaction, like they thought they were crazy when they saw it but it actually did happen. The only legit reason I can think of is Duchene hit the puck with a high stick or something on the way down, and the ref raised his arm and then put it down when a Jets player touched the puck first, but I don't have a DVR to go back and look at it, and it didn't seems as though the puck got off the ice so I don't think that's what happened.

He raised his arm and then washed something out, but I can't imagine what he would be referring to if not the penalty that should have been called. I'm pretty sure officials are not allowed to raise their arm and then change their mind.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Yes, everyone seemingly had the same reaction, like they thought they were crazy when they saw it but it actually did happen. The only legit reason I can think of is Duchene hit the puck with a high stick or something on the way down, and the ref raised his arm and then put it down when a Jets player touched the puck first, but I don't have a DVR to go back and look at it, and it didn't seems as though the puck got off the ice so I don't think that's what happened.

He raised his arm and then washed something out, but I can't imagine what he would be referring to if not the penalty that should have been called. I'm pretty sure officials are not allowed to raise their arm and then change their mind.

They are not allowed. It was a big mistake from the ref. The general rule is once the call has been made, good or bad, there's nothing you can do. "Sorry, I know you're right but I can't change the call."

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

If anyone DOES have it on DVR/Tivo and can make a video of that, I would surely appreciate it.

ALSO, if you have the one where Mark Stuart turns around, sees Landeskog coming and then proceeds to turn himself completely towards the boards at the last second and the consequent 2:00 minor on Lando, I'll love to get a video of that as well.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia

I just watched it on GCL again and the puck was flat on the ice all the time. The TSN guys didn't understand the ref's reaction either.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
BTW, it seems as though Roy got the bench penalty for abussing the ref during the tv timeout, not for taking to long to put his guys on the ice like the Jets crew said.

It was that he took too long to ice his team. He even said so during the post-game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I never usually blame the refs but wow that was a gong show last night. I have never seen a ref call a penalty and then waive it off like that...ever. That was almost as bad as the time when we got a too many men on the ice penalty when we only had 4 guys on, or the time Jacque Demers convinced the ref a call against the wild shouldnt be a penalty and it worked. Also, Guenins shot hit the top part of the glass you can hear it during the play it was pretty audible. Roy and Guenin going nuts was fine by me.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Well, I have had a very good look at the Avalanche during my entire trip. I think the Edmonton game was a complete wash. Losing Hejda really sucked. So, hopefully, he`s back soon. I saw the Avs come back against Calgary. I also saw the Avs come back against Winnipeg. There`s a few things I need to get off my chest. Firstly, Canadian hockey fans are extremely rude. If you cheer for an American team, or cheer for USA (which I don`t), there`s a very good possibility you will get harassed by someone. For the most part, Canadian fans are pretty good. But, there are some real jerks out there who can`t let a guy like me just enjoy cheering for my team. I`m not looking for a fight. But, if my team scores a goal, I`m just as entitled to cheer loudly as the home team does. Deal with it.

Secondly, that penalty against Roy was a huge turning point. The Avs came alive after realizing they needed to kill a penalty off for Roy. Having said that, Roy needs to keep his composure. I have seen 2 bench minors during my trip and he cannot let his emotions completely get the best of him.

Thirdly, Duchene did play like a beast against Winnipeg. But, he had a lot of good supporting players that also came through last night. Talbot is making an impact. That trade for Downie has definitely worked out for us. Downie is not skilled enough to be a top player. As well, he is a defensive liability. Good trade for Sakic and Roy.

You also need to watch Varlamov, in person, to truly appreciate how much better he has got. He not only makes good saves. But, he seems to have got better at placing rebounds in areas where our defense can retrieve pucks.

Further, Barrie is a solid defenseman for us. I would hate to see him go back down to the minors. His peripheral vision allows him to make plays in our end that no one else can. He is someone we can depend on defensively.

Finally, I absolutely love Roy as our coach. He is much better at working with our players to maintain a positive attitude. His ability to act as a psychologist has made our team mentally stronger. Without Roy, the Avs do not come back against Calgary and Winnipeg.

I had a lot of fun watching the Avalanche play, mostly. The Avs do have a long way to go before we can truly contend. I already love what I have seen from MacKinnon and how he has slowed the game down for himself. He is going to be an elite scorer some day. Very soon I anticipate.

I also loved associating with the number of Avalanche fans I met. There are a lot of us around in Canada. While the Avs may not be completely relevant in Denver, they certainly are relevant to lot of us in Canada.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Well, I have had a very good look at the Avalanche during my entire trip. I think the Edmonton game was a complete wash. Losing Hejda really sucked. So, hopefully, he`s back soon. I saw the Avs come back against Calgary. I also saw the Avs come back against Winnipeg. There`s a few things I need to get off my chest. Firstly, Canadian hockey fans are extremely rude. If you cheer for an American team, or cheer for USA (which I don`t), there`s a very good possibility you will get harassed by someone. For the most part, Canadian fans are pretty good. But, there are some real jerks out there who can`t let a guy like me just enjoy cheering for my team. I`m not looking for a fight. But, if my team scores a goal, I`m just as entitled to cheer loudly as the home team does. Deal with it.

Secondly, that penalty against Roy was a huge turning point. The Avs came alive after realizing they needed to kill a penalty off for Roy. Having said that, Roy needs to keep his composure. I have seen 2 bench minors during my trip and he cannot let his emotions completely get the best of him.

Thirdly, Duchene did play like a beast against Winnipeg. But, he had a lot of good supporting players that also came through last night. Talbot is making an impact. That trade for Downie has definitely worked out for us. Downie is not skilled enough to be a top player. As well, he is a defensive liability. Good trade for Sakic and Roy.

You also need to watch Varlamov, in person, to truly appreciate how much better he has got. He not only makes good saves. But, he seems to have got better at placing rebounds in areas where our defense can retrieve pucks.

Further, Barrie is a solid defenseman for us. I would hate to see him go back down to the minors. His peripheral vision allows him to make plays in our end that no one else can. He is someone we can depend on defensively.

Finally, I absolutely love Roy as our coach. He is much better at working with our players to maintain a positive attitude. His ability to act as a psychologist has made our team mentally stronger. Without Roy, the Avs do not come back against Calgary and Winnipeg.

I had a lot of fun watching the Avalanche play, mostly. The Avs do have a long way to go before we can truly contend. I already love what I have seen from MacKinnon and how he has slowed the game down for himself. He is going to be an elite scorer some day. Very soon I anticipate.

I also loved associating with the number of Avalanche fans I met. There are a lot of us around in Canada. While the Avs may not be completely relevant in Denver, they certainly are relevant to lot of us in Canada.

They definitely can be. I stopped wearing my Avs gear after a game a few years ago. I am not an obnoxious fan, I barely even cheer for them, just watch the game. But after a game against the Flames that Smyth scored in OT I had people throwing popcorn and stuff at me. That was enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad