GDT: Avs vs. Isles: The City So Nice...They Named It Twice (8pm ET/6pm MT)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bo Byram gets ice time on his natural side and

Big Moment Bo strikes again. Avs were down and on their way out, playing sloppy hockey in the 2nd, and his goal pumped up the bench, woke everyone up, and completely changed the momentum.

Option 1:

Play Bo on his natural left side, pair him with Makar, play him in an offensive role with the top line = Position to succeed = Huge Goal + Confidence Boost.

Option 2:

Play Bo on his off side, pair him with Girard, play him in a stay at home role while Girard handles the puck = Position to fail = Penalties + Sub par play + Drop in Confidence.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
This team has talent, this team has the best D-Man in the league and 2 of the best forwards in the NHL.

This team plays as a unit and only will get better. If the injury-curse doesn´t strike again, we will battle for the cup again.

15 straight wins on the road.... Record Baby.

Let´s continue our friends-tour. Next stop Macs Buddy Crosby and his sinking Pens, then the reunion with EJ.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So I'm watching the post-game show late and Johnny Malkin just made the comment that the Avs have three of the top 10 players in the league.

I am all-in on Makar and MacKinnon being in the top 10. Rantanen is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best RW in the league right now. I'm just trying to determine if he's in the top 10 or not. He's got to be close but I would think us having 3 out of 10 seems too outrageous. But then again, we had Sakic, Forsberg and Roy on the same team and depending on the year any one of them could have been the best player in the league.

So, has Rantanen made everyone's top 10 list?

By the end of the year we may have four with George. Different* category obviously.

Plus Toews is like #11 with the hype he's gotten lately, and contract value added. 🤣

Avs are a wagon. 4 point night gfrom Mikko rintonaon. Hunreela shiut

Beautiful mind

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Always welcome at my place, mate :D Arcade machine, man cave, spa, beach around the corner, tanned Aussie girls all over the place, cold beers, BBQ's, music, drop bears, vegemite, killer snakes and spiders - we have it all !

I'm booking a flight whenever the Whale Sharks come around. One of my bucket list things is to swim with Whale Sharks. The two places to do it are Australia and Mexico that I know of.

Also must find this dude and hang out. 🤣

• Love
Reactions: Sea Eagles

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Avs are a wagon. 4 point night gfrom Mikko rintonaon. Hunreela shiut
You heard him. 4 point night from Kimmo Rintanen.

1325825.jpg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nice to see the Avs are undefeated and at the same time have a ton of room for improvement.

Didn’t like the top line on Islander goals 1 and 3, and I continue to hate it when Bednar puts 62 and 13 on the same line. Not only do they feel redundant, it also forces Nuke to the right side where I feel he really gets lost positionally. You can tell he prefers left wing.

Obviously both goalies came up with some huge saves and also let in one they would like to have back. In any event, the one thing I’d like to see is Georgiev to get the night off.

Otherwise, good win, albeit a tad more exciting than I would’ve liked. Also…come on guys, I love that the PK looks so much better but FFS, stay out of the box!!!!

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
6 straight starts for Georgie and the last two he hasn't looked great. Both against eastern teams that are low on top end talent. Fatigue, just a coincidence, or perhaps the low talent type of fire everything on net type teams are ones that Georgie will struggle against.

And if any Canes or Isles fans are reading this: yes I said those teams are low talent. Come at me.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Big Moment Bo strikes again. Avs were down and on their way out, playing sloppy hockey in the 2nd, and his goal pumped up the bench, woke everyone up, and completely changed the momentum.

Option 1:

Play Bo on his natural left side, pair him with Makar, play him in an offensive role with the top line = Position to succeed = Huge Goal + Confidence Boost.

Option 2:

Play Bo on his off side, pair him with Girard, play him in a stay at home role while Girard handles the puck = Position to fail = Penalties + Sub par play + Drop in Confidence.
Look at Byram's player card from last night... Oh man... That's a super star player if he can find this version of himself consistently. Good at everything, bad at nothing (Evan Brouchard as his comp is such an LOL). Byram has the best corsi for and possession stats on the team so far this season. Play him as a LHD Bednar for Pete's sake.

HockeyStatCards.com | Easy Hockey Stats

1698259506801.png

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Look at Byram's player card from last night... Oh man... That's a super star player if he can find this version of himself consistently. Good at everything, bad at nothing (Evan Brouchard as his comp is such an LOL). Byram has the best corsi for and possession stats on the team so far this season. Play him as a LHD Bednar for Pete's sake.

HockeyStatCards.com | Easy Hockey Stats

View attachment 757818

They need to get Byram and Girard away from each other. Not just the fact that they're both lefties but they also play similar games and need to be the guy carrying the puck to maximize their skill set.

Toews is a very good compliment to Makar, he plays the stability role of that pairing and lets Makar go ham. Ideally the Avs trade Girard for a long term RHD solution for Byram on the second pair that will be that stability guy for Bo to go out and do his thing. Manson was probably penciled in to be that guy for Byram when they extended him but Manson can't stay healthy anymore. If only we could have EJ of five years ago back for that pairing.

Then the only thing left would be for Bednar to hand over PP2 to Byram. Makar/Byram should be your PP QBs and Toews/Manson should be the PKers.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
They need to get Byram and Girard away from each other. Not just the fact that they're both lefties but they also play similar games and need to be the guy carrying the puck to maximize their skill set.

Toews is a very good compliment to Makar, he plays the stability role of that pairing and lets Makar go ham. Ideally the Avs trade Girard for a long term RHD solution for Byram on the second pair that will be that stability guy for Bo to go out and do his thing. Manson was probably penciled in to be that guy for Byram when they extended him but Manson can't stay healthy anymore. If only we could have EJ of five years ago back for that pairing.

Then the only thing left would be for Bednar to hand over PP2 to Byram. Makar/Byram should be your PP QBs and Toews/Manson should be the PKers.

I don’t think the bolded is what’s going on with that pairing. Makar has found the right balance in his game where he’s a defence first D, but with the dynamism to go with it. It just exists regardless of who he’s paired with.

Byram hasn’t really figured out what he wants to do with his play style. Is he a guy who’s being aggressive? Or is he more of a stay at home D? I definitely agree that Byram/Girard is a weird fit together. If the Avs want to commit long term to Byram as the anchor on the second pair, they should find another partner for him.

As for right now… If Byram gets his game more consistent the D pairs are better fits as:

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
JJ - Manson

Makar is too good on the PK to be taken off it. Though, I’d like to see Bednar save some of those PK minutes for the playoffs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I'd play Toews with Girard and Byram with Makar for a spell and see how that goes.

Toews, in limited viewings, plays great with Girard and/or Byram. The L / L combo isn't ideal, but every time I see Toews on the ice with either guy, it feels like the Avs are on the front foot.

But yes... ideally we'd replace Girard with a decent RHD with size to partner with Byram or Toews.

That said, I've been stoked with Girard so far this season. He's playing with his feet again. He was such an elite skater to start his career and he played the game with his feet. Then he got bigger in the weight room and got away from being an elite skater. Got more physical, but also more bulky in his movement. And his play really suffered in my eyes. Wasn't fluid or deceptive anymore. his skating wasn't elite.

This year he looks lite on his feet again and he's skating his way out of trouble over and over. He's damn good when he's playing this way and it's great to see again. He's got no shot whatsoever, but his passing and skating are great, his stick is actively defensively and he's positioning and gab control have been on point. He's been beat up around Avs country for 18 months or so, but he's enjoying a nice resurgence so far this season. He looks good and I'm happy to write that as I've been hard on him in the past. Dude is playing like a very high end #3 so far this year. And he's great on the PK surprisingly. Three cheers for 2023 Sammie G.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad