GDT: Avs vs Ducks. Wed, Oct 2. 7:30 MST l Part II

Macaroni and Cheese

Sep 26, 2013
San Diego, CA
Happy with the win tonight but misleading scoreline in a way. We capitalized on their mistakes but made plenty of our own. If Varly had not played so well and they had tied it or scored first then this could've gone differently. The Ducks defence just collapsed because they got desperate and tried to take risks they wouldn't have done with a lead. We badly need to improve our defensive coverage behind the net, they were able to make too many plays from there.

Also that was just stupid from Roy at the end there, hope we don't turn into one of 'those' clubs.

6-0.. not a score that could have gone either way. If luck balances out it's still 4-2. I agree we need to work on D coverage.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Wow...as an Isles fan, that game was fun as hell to watch. I think you guys just became my western team for this season. So much fun to watch, plus have Varly and MacKinnon in fantasy. Good luck the rest of the way!

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Duck fans all whining about Roy :laugh:

One of them mentioned our board, so if you're reading this, love you too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Roy is my favorite player of all time, but I hope he cools off a bit over the course of the season. Coaches that have that type of fire seem to have a short shelf life.

This moment required that reaction. Cheap shot our young player and you will get your medicine. Roy is old school like that. There is no coincidence that he sent out the 4th line.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado's D gave up some gleaming opportunities, but Varlamov managed to bail them out. Otherwise, Anaheim couldn't contain Colorado's forward lines at all.

The Benoit-Sarich pairing was by far Colorado's best defense combo, but it was mostly due to Benoit's play. Johnson and Guenin played mistake free, but Hejda was shaky and Barrie was a trainwreck.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
This moment required that reaction. Cheap shot our young player and you will get your medicine. Roy is old school like that. There is no coincidence that he sent out the 4th line.

Can't argue with that.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Haven't posted in nearly a year for various reasons, but tonight is definitely the night to end that streak.

What a statement. I loved every second of that game. The AVS abused the duckies all night long with their waves of attack and their speed. Thing of beauty. Speaking of which.... MacKinnon!

Lastly, it was great to see a coach with a damn pulse behind the bench. Loved the passion with Roy at the end.

Great game.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
Loved this game, loved MacKinnon, loved Roy's reaction!

Is that didn't get you pumped for the season, nothing will!

I'll be rooting for the Avs a lot this year.

So who wanted Jones instead of MacKinnon again? ;)

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Holy moly!!! What a way to start the season. So much confidence on that team. Loved the way everyone stuck up for MacKinnon. Speaking of the kid, what a talent. Tanguay hasn't lost a beat. That was proably the best game Varly has played as an Av. Just so many good things!

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The reaction on the Ducks board is such a big fail it's unbelievable. Praising Lovejoy for wanting to injure Mac, absolutely crazy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

As long as they didn't get carried away and do something stupid I'm all for it, I thought it was a needed reaction. The kid's first game, and Lovejoy goes after him all game long like that and almost takes his knee out? Give me a break.

Roy went a little crazy but so what. As an Avalanche fan I loved it, just like all his other crazy moments. No one in history can match his intensity and passion for the game.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Anyone got clips of Roy yelling? Don't get the game up here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow what an insanely good game. Best Av game I've seen in a long time. It had everything, and Patty Roy goes ape **** in his first game! :laugh: I thought he was gonna jump the glass and go after Boudreau. He might be facing a fine in his first appearance behind an NHL bench, but good for him. Love the emotion, and the team response.

Friggin Lovejoy what a POS. Goes after a newly turned 18 year old in his first ever game all game long, and almost wrecks his knee to start his NHL career.

Radar is just gonna be awesome this year. I called it earlier but I think he's gonna lead the team in goals, and be real close with Duchene on points. They can not trade this guy. He just has what it takes to win games, and there's no way to evaluate how important his takeaways are.

You can immediately see the difference in team defense from the whole team. They all came back hard as a five man group and kept a close nit, instead of being all spread out. They also stood up at their blue line like they haven't done since Hartley which is great to see.

Another thing you can tell they harped on in camp is they don't screw around when carrying the puck out of the zone. The first sign they might be in trouble they make a decisive pass or move so it gets out. So refreshing, hopefully it continues.

Landy looked a little shaky with the puck. Think he was trying a bit too hard and has to settle down a little.

EJ looked ok.

Varly was awesome. Such a shame they ruined his shutout bid int he dying seconds, when everyone was clearly distracted by the MacKinnon hit.

Getzlaf goes after the much smaller Downie at the end of the game? Ok, what a little girl. Good thing Downie wasn't there at the end though, he for sure would have gone absolutely bonkers.

Dutchy, Staz, and Tanguay all looked ok. Had a couple good moments.

So awesome to have to have Downie back. He has literally everything, and is so underrated with his vision and puck skills.

Barrie had a pretty rough game. Fumbled the puck a bunch and had a lot of turnovers and almost turnovers. He also needs to settle down some and have a little more patience.

MacKinnon reminded me so much of Forsberg with his compete level. Did he drop his gloves with that Duck player before his matching minor penalty. He battled him exactly the way Forsberg would by tackling a guy that was trying to play him rough, and then forced a guy to tackle him later on by bulling his way into the corner for the puck. I watched a fair bit of him in the playoffs last year and knew the grit he had in his game, but I didn't think he'd be engaging as much as he did physically in his first game. What a player he's gonna be. He even made the prototype Forsberg semi blind backhand pass to the slot from the end boards for his first NHL point..

McGinn didn't hit a post!

PP still needs some work. They really need a better PP QB or someone to really raise their game because nobody seems to control the play well enough back there once they're in the zone.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Everyone kept asking Roy about his temper and if he has changed.

He kept saying he's different and it won't be like that.

He lied.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The reaction on the Ducks board is such a big fail it's unbelievable. Praising Lovejoy for wanting to injure Mac, absolutely crazy.

It's actually rather hilarious, but they have to be upset after this game.

So touchy though...fans from other teams post in our GDTs all the time, yet they can't stand it.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Loved Roy's antics. Great for ratings and viewership. Won't be surprised to see Kornheiser and Wilbon talk about them to millions of Americans tomorrow in PTI.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's clearly a work in progress but there were plenty of positive signs. The team was sharp around the net and you can tell it's going to be hard for other teams to handle three scoring lines.

Also there was quite a bit of things that you have to expect in game one of the season. Bad passes. Optimistic dangles and the odd lost assignment in the defensive zone.

Varly was locked in. Shame about the shutout, but he should be happy nonetheless. Clearly MotM.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00